Fat Guy's ADA Iwagumi- moving across the country!! - Page 21
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 03:58 AM   #301
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
Having problems with my tank and thought I could ask you how you clean or keep clean instead of green rocks...
elbow grease and lots of it!!
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #302
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru
 
FlyingHellFish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,034
Default

Have you grown normal Glosso before? How does it compare to this new mini glosso? I'm interested in trying it out but think it might be a bit "too" small for a 60P.

I know you done HC Cuba carpets, how does the growth rate compare to HC or DHG?
__________________
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #303
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
parrottbay's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 528
Default

So just removing the rocks and a toothbrush ha ha. Was really hoping there was an easy secret but thanks
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #304
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Have you grown normal Glosso before? How does it compare to this new mini glosso? I'm interested in trying it out but think it might be a bit "too" small for a 60P.

I know you done HC Cuba carpets, how does the growth rate compare to HC or DHG?
I've grown glosso before. I had success with it but am happier with the hydropiper. It's bigger than HC but I feel roots a lot better once it establishes. My problem with HC was that I couldn't keep up with the the way it would grow over itself. Then the bottom root system would die off as the upper layers smothered the bottom layers and the plant would uproot. Hydropiper is more difficult than HC (more expensive because it's not as prolific yet too). It's easier to trim and clean up in my opinion. But I wasn't sure at first if it was going to take off. My tank wasn't dialed in yet. I purchased some from a member here and it was a tiny tiny portion...like 10 small stems for $20. And I had some die off, but once I dialed in my co2 and fert regime as well as lighting and filter maintenance etc. the plant seemed to take off. The big issue is that it is very delicate at first. If you have amanos in the tank I think it would be a nightmare because they'd probably uproot a lot of it before it establishes. but it is a slower growing plant in my experience and is more fulfilling if you get it to grow. I think it also prefers colder temperatures so we shall see what happens in the summertime. but I dig it a lot and glad I made the change. I've been able to keep it and the belem apart for the most part even though I know the two are going to mingle. It's slower growing than HC and regular glosso, but the payoff is much better. It'd look great in your 60p. the hc carpet uprooting became too much of a hassle for me to deal with and not enough of a reward in the hobby at the end of the day.

btw thanks for your info on wabi-kusas.
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #305
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrottbay View Post
So just removing the rocks and a toothbrush ha ha. Was really hoping there was an easy secret but thanks
the big secret is getting your parameters stable and balanced. co2, lighting, ferts, tank maintenance, water changes, filter cleaning etc. you can get on top of it, but having your rocks covered in green algae is a sign of an inbalance. have patience and keep at it. a temporary fix is to drain all the water out of your tank (or enough to get at the rocks and put a ml or so of excel on the rocks when they are airing out). but that's not going to solve the problem. It might make scrubbing them easier. at first I used to use an old sonicare to clean the rocks, then I realized that I was doing a lot of things wrong and that my tank was out of balance. I work hard to try to keep the tank balanced and have benefited from less algae issues in doing so. that's what makes the hobby fun. hope that helps. balance balance balance (and elbow grease of course).
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #306
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
parrottbay's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
the big secret is getting your parameters stable and balanced. co2, lighting, ferts, tank maintenance, water changes, filter cleaning etc. you can get on top of it, but having your rocks covered in green algae is a sign of an inbalance. have patience and keep at it. a temporary fix is to drain all the water out of your tank (or enough to get at the rocks and put a ml or so of excel on the rocks when they are airing out). but that's not going to solve the problem. It might make scrubbing them easier. at first I used to use an old sonicare to clean the rocks, then I realized that I was doing a lot of things wrong and that my tank was out of balance. I work hard to try to keep the tank balanced and have benefited from less algae issues in doing so. that's what makes the hobby fun. hope that helps. balance balance balance (and elbow grease of course).
Thanks, I appreciate the detailed info! As you can tell I'm subscribed lol
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #307
exv152
Wannabe Guru
 
exv152's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Have you grown normal Glosso before? How does it compare to this new mini glosso? I'm interested in trying it out but think it might be a bit "too" small for a 60P.

I know you done HC Cuba carpets, how does the growth rate compare to HC or DHG?
Good luck trying to find it in north america. It's a very rare find in the planted tank hobby.
__________________
Eheim Pimp Club,# 496
25g 60-H iwagumi
125g high tech
7g cube
33g iwagumi cube
75g low tech angelfish tank
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #308
parrottbay
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
parrottbay's Avatar
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
Good luck trying to find it in north america. It's a very rare find in the planted tank hobby.
I've saw it being sold on here once every six months or so by a guy I'm Cali....
parrottbay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 AM   #309
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

I just sold a bunch of trimmings of it to a member here in California. I will have more in the future. not sure about any international sale. great plant if you can get your hands on it.
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #310
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (260/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
I've grown glosso before. I had success with it but am happier with the hydropiper. It's bigger than HC but I feel roots a lot better once it establishes. My problem with HC was that I couldn't keep up with the the way it would grow over itself. Then the bottom root system would die off as the upper layers smothered the bottom layers and the plant would uproot. Hydropiper is more difficult than HC (more expensive because it's not as prolific yet too). It's easier to trim and clean up in my opinion. But I wasn't sure at first if it was going to take off. My tank wasn't dialed in yet. I purchased some from a member here and it was a tiny tiny portion...like 10 small stems for $20. And I had some die off, but once I dialed in my co2 and fert regime as well as lighting and filter maintenance etc. the plant seemed to take off. The big issue is that it is very delicate at first. If you have amanos in the tank I think it would be a nightmare because they'd probably uproot a lot of it before it establishes. but it is a slower growing plant in my experience and is more fulfilling if you get it to grow. I think it also prefers colder temperatures so we shall see what happens in the summertime.
It does not care about the temps, I've shown this at 79C and at 82-84F.
It grows very well in both cases.

Recently I also found it does well even if slightly shaded and in the lower light sections.

I agree with being patient and getting it rooted. Once that's done, it's well behaved and it is a lot thicker than you think it is if you pull some up. Perhaps the ADA powder type would help, not sure though.

Monte carlo will pile up and root real well also, but this is a tougher plant for most folks. Not with trimming though. It's the easiest type of plant beside maybe belem hairgrass.
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #311
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

Hey Tom,
That's good to hear about what you discovered with the different temperatures for the hydropiper. I've been very happy with the way that it has grown in my tank. I enjoy keeping it a lot more than the HC I used to grow. I like the pace at which this plant grows too. and so far so good with keeping the belem at bay when it creeps into the hydropiper field. I actually spread some ADA powder on top after I planted the hydropiper initially. I felt like it did make a difference keeping it in place. I'm also fortunate that the tank doesn't have any inhabitants that would uproot it. the hydropiper and belem are keeping me happy.
__________________

Last edited by Fat Guy; 01-17-2014 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: splg
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #312
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (260/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
Hey Tom,
That's good to hear about what you discovered with the different temperatures for the hydropiper. I've been very happy with the way that it has grown in my tank. I enjoy keeping it a lot more than the HC I used to grow. I like the pace at which this plant grows too. and so far so good with keeping the belem at bay when it creeps into the hydropiper field. I actually spread some ADA powder on top after I planted the hydropiper initially. I felt like it did make a difference keeping it in place. I'm also fortunate that the tank doesn't have any inhabitants that would uproot it. the hydropiper and belem are keeping me happy.
The only way we really learn is to falsify hypothesis and which means dispelling myths that the speculators of the Aquarium world seem to rampant with

But if you cannot grow it to begin with, then you cannot say much
If you can, then you compare notes and observations.

I made the cooler temp assumptions, I even designed my 70 Gallon Buce tank to have it as a main carpet at one point for 70-72F. But....a small piece started growing in my 180 which is warm for the cardinals and plecos 82~84F and it was right next to the hot lighting. When the light is on, it's well over 87F in the moss top layer.

I would not have ever tried or tested this a priori.
I was just happy it grew and I did not have to buy more from somewhere overseas and have 95% dead when I got it.

I noticed the newer larger grain ADA AS did not root nearly as well as the older stuff with finer silt. The good current seems to correlate well in the 120 Gallon locations and the 180 which is up near the Vortech powerhead.

UG also behaves this same way.

I honestly thought it was a light demanding plant and would die and rot away little by little if shaded also.

So I buy into the myths myself, but I also know if I falsify a myth about a plant, I'm on that like a tick on a dog. then I'm not guessing/going along with the dogma/myths etc any more, I have some information that I know.
Thus I can really argue without fear of being wrong at about the issues I falsify.

It's welcomed news for a nice little plant that's been troublesome for many, myself included. I can grow the snot out of it, the next question is the plant suitable for gardening and scaping? I have to say yes now.

HC and belem make a nice mix also, the grass keeps the HC and similar plants from getting disturbed or uprooted. I was going to do this at one point, I still may.

Folks should read the comments here about growing it, before buying it.
Once there's enough folks selling it, then a few plant killers are okay
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #313
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

thanks for the feedback tom. I totally agree.




plantex should be coming tomorrow. I'm going to be interested to see if there's a change in any growth or noticeable difference by switching from seachem comprehensive to plantex +b for micros. I don't think there will be anything substantial but I am looking forward to strictly dry dosing.
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #314
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

plantex finally arrived today after getting lost through usps. big thanks to GLA for resending it. all dry dosing now. no more bottles...just spoons.
__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2014, 01:03 AM   #315
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru
 
Fat Guy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: new york, new york
Posts: 1,467
Default

got a new impeller for the eheim 2211. the last one I messed up when I broke the ceramic shaft. It's quieter but not whisper quiet...then again, I don't really remember if it ever was. i'll mess more with it tomorrow.

so far so good.

__________________
Fat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
ada, iwagumi, lily, mini m

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012