A Chocolate Gourami Journal **now with two species** - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #31
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

So big update here. As far as fish go, they are doing great but no real signs of breeding. I just got a new setup for them. I will have the plumbing finished tomorrow and hopefully find a good pump at the LFS to get it running, but i will be moving them to a 20L with a 20L sump. I know the sump is large, but i want maximum filtration for these guys. Also the large sump volume will allow me to very slowly adjust water params down if need be to get them to breed, then up again after the fry are born to raise them in hardier conditions. At least thats the ultimate goal the nice thing is i have an approx 8 gallon tank in the sump that i will use to grow plants and shrimp as well as a possible growout for fry. I'll update with more pics as i get it running and planted. Plants will include achor moss, crypts, buces, mini pellia, anubias, dwarf sag, and i something in the back right behind the tree that will have long flowing leaves out of the corner. Not sure what to go with there, any input would be greatly appreciated. In the sand area will be IAL's and Oak Leaves. Let me know what you think Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140112_230620.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	259241  

Name:	20140112_230641.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	259249  

Name:	20140112_230715.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	259257  

Duck5003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 AM   #32
lamiskool
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Those gourami's are going to love that new setup! Goodluck with trying to get them to breed.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #33
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So another big update. Got the new setup running. So far so good, no leaks. Put the heater in to get the temps up before planting. I will be painting the spray bar tomorrow as well. I have some seeded material in there but i'm going to let this run for a good 3 weeks to a month before the chocolates go in. I'm going to try and get it planted tomorrow once the temps stabilize and i'd like to do some DIY CO2 just to help jumpstart the plants. I have never dabbled in CO2 but picked up some hardware and will be ordering a diffuser so we'll see where that goes. I will be posting this quesion in another thread but if anyone knows the answer or can make a suggestion;

Should i inject the CO2 into the sump or the actual tank??

All the plants will be low-light but i have some that melted and need to recover so some CO2 should help. Anyway here are some pics of the new setup, i'll update tomorrow when/if i get it planted.

As far as the fish, they are happy and healthy in their current home. Still no signs of breeding in the higher params although i havent really been pushing them to breed. That will start when i get them in the new tank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140125_141505.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	265098  

Name:	20140125_142743.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	265106  

Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #34
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been a little since an update. Tank is coming along nicely. Finaly got the chocolates into the tank a couple days ago and they have taken to it very very well. In fact they are much more active with all that extra room and plants. Right now in with them are white clouds and two clown plecos. They dont seem to mind the white clouds at all, so they may stay in there. At least for now.

The clown plecos are little poop machines, typical plecos. I like them but they may not be kept together much longer, especially as i start to condition the chocolates to breed.

On the breeding front, im going to try again to condition them and get them to breed in the higher conditions. If nothing i'll add some alder cones and try and naturally soften up the water. If nothing then i'll start more drastic measures to drop the PH and hardness.

Plants are doing well. I have the bottom planted with some fast growing stems and cull shrimp which are berried. In the top various crypts, some ferns, anchor moss on the wood and some various buces. Still has a lot of filling in to do and a lot more plants to go. I'm also taking a trip to the LFS today to get more of the rock to add more character around the tree. Hope you enjoy the pictures of the new setup, now the breeding challenge officially starts!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140228_232731.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	282026  

Name:	20140228_232516.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	282034  

Name:	20140228_232556.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	282042  

Name:	20140228_232530.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	282050  

Old 03-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #35
KatherineL
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks nice! Why are the chocolates your favorite?

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
KatherineL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #36
Aqguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet looking setup how is the noise factor on a sump like that or is it relaxing water sound?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #37
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqguy View Post
Sweet looking setup how is the noise factor on a sump like that or is it relaxing water sound?
-Thanks! Actually, it is suprisingly quiet. Really relaxing water sound at best, its that quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineL View Post
Tank looks nice! Why are the chocolates your favorite?
-Well, this tank was set up just for them because i would like to breed them and to give them more space. Its tough to say they are my favorite, but also hard to say they arent lol honestly from most of the readings i did on them they seemed like one of those fish you just dont mess with. Too finicky, need special params, etc. So i set out to see what truth there was and i believe a lot of the info out there is inaccurate. Or at least outdated to the point where we are now seeing a more stable chocolate gourami that can handle a wider range of params. They have done very very well for me so far (knock on wood). My ultimate goal is to breed these at a higher param level for these fish to make them easier and more readily available to fellow hobbyist. I will say these fish are truly fascinating and have amazing personality and their behaviour is unlike any other fish i've had by a long shot. Or should i say, more unique?? Either way they are wonderful, beautiful little fish that i hope to have success with in breeding them
Old 03-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #38
KatherineL
Algae Grower

Ahh. I see what you mean. I have never kept gouramis before so I don't know much about them. Thanks for sharing! Wish you the best for breeding.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
KatherineL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #39
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a couple of updated pics. Added some new brownie red on the left side. Not a permanent home for this rock, but it will get added somewhere within the scape. I'm thinking Buces on the left and Crypts on the right. I have plenty more rocks to place throughout the scape. As always any inputs are appreciated

Chocolates are doing very well. Much more active since the move, i can tell they like the extra space. I've been feeding them heavily to get them into breeding condition. They have also been showing a lot of courting behaviour. Chasing, displaying, etc. We'll see what happens!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140306_231819.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	285562  

Name:	20140306_231828.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	285570  

Name:	20140306_231750.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	285578  

Old 03-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #40
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I've might have missed you mentioning this in an above post, but what are the other smaller/narrow fish in there with the chocolates? I'd thought you'd keep this as a species only tank for better fry survival rates once they breed. Btw love that piece of wood, looks so cool!
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #41
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
I've might have missed you mentioning this in an above post, but what are the other smaller/narrow fish in there with the chocolates? I'd thought you'd keep this as a species only tank for better fry survival rates once they breed. Btw love that piece of wood, looks so cool!
Those are white clouds minnows. They will be rehomed shortly, they were really only in there to help establish the tank and let it mature a little prior to the chocolates going in. Suprisingly the two rarely interact and get along great, so thats why they have stayed up until this point, but not for long
Old 03-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #42
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

SO pumped. Today i went to one of my lfs and couldnt believe my eyes. They had a pair of samurai chocolate gouramis, Sphaerighthys vaillanti. I've never seen these at a lfs, or really for sale much of anywhere. Scooped them up and just got back to the house to start acclimating them. I will post pics soon!!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 AM   #43
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Samurai chocolate gourami!!! Nice fish. Can't wait to see them.
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 AM   #44
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm a little nervous. I gave them a lonnnggg drip acclimation but the female is still super stressed. The LFS had two pair. One of the employees bought one, no one even noticed the other. Hidden in a tank really. They have had them about a week, but they looked great and they said they have been eating like champs. Hopefully these two pull through and work out. No pics tonight, lights went off and im trying to give them as little stress as possible. I'll try and snap some tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 AM   #45
RWaters
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Cool. It always pays to look at the tanks very carefully. I've often found things that others apparently missed. Not only fish like the ones you found, but unusual fish that may have come in with a batch of other fish, or fish that are pairing off. I sure hope your fish make it through the transition to your tank. Good luck with them!
RWaters is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.