2 Ten gallon tank stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #1
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

2 Ten gallon tank stand

I need to build an double tank stand for 2 ten gallons, one on top and other on bottom, but I want to build it inexpensively (ex.. no overbuilding). Please give what your thoughts are.

Or

if you know of a decent stand that can hold both around the same exspense to build please post the link...

Aqualady
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Just get a wrought iron. If you want wood wrap the metal.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Just get a wrought iron. If you want wood wrap the metal.
how? the ones i saw I can't picture how when I want a 10g on bottom to
Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
GraphicGr8s
Banned

First you have to know that although I build cabinets and love woodworking and love a really good, stained wood I abhor and pretty much detest wood cabinets for my tanks and will not build one for myself or anyone else I hate them so much.
But if I was, and I won't but if I was to do this I would get some 1/4" plywood cut to the right size for the 2 sides and some strips for the front so that it looked like a rail and stile face frame and some ready made corner molding. I would use a couple of dabs of silicone to attach the plywood in its respective spots then use wood glue on the moldings to hide the edges. Pretty fast job. Then stain it. That is if I were to ever do it but I wouldn't.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
First you have to know that although I build cabinets and love woodworking and love a really good, stained wood I abhor and pretty much detest wood cabinets for my tanks and will not build one for myself or anyone else I hate them so much.
But if I was, and I won't but if I was to do this I would get some 1/4" plywood cut to the right size for the 2 sides and some strips for the front so that it looked like a rail and stile face frame and some ready made corner molding. I would use a couple of dabs of silicone to attach the plywood in its respective spots then use wood glue on the moldings to hide the edges. Pretty fast job. Then stain it. That is if I were to ever do it but I wouldn't.
lol...thank you for explaining it to me...I thought it was humorous because it seems like it was killing you...because you wouldn't ever do it.....lol...thank you and it was explained clearly...
Old 01-13-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Banned

One thing Aqualady, that rail on the bottom would go from the bottom of the stand to the bottom of the lower tank so it's going to be 4+" wide. The rail on the bottom of top tank will be about 1.75". You could use 1/4" plywood for the sides and 1x material and glue up an actual face frame. You could use a 1x 4 ripped to 1 x 2.5 for the stiles (vertical members on each side) and rip one piece to 1.75 for the rail on the top tank. Just make it wide enough to cover the plywood sides and you won't need molding at all. The bottom rail since it's wide you could use a piece of the plywood and rabbet it into a solid wood top piece to hide the plywood edge.

A bit more work but at least you're not worrying about any structural strength and bad joinery. Nor do you need to use 2x material to get enough wood for a screw to grab.

If I were to actually build a stand for it I'd do it like I would any other cabinet. 3/4" plywood carcass. Bottom shelf in a dado into the side pieces. Face frame glued on to the front to finish it off and to hide the plywood edge. If I wanted a mostly open back I'd put at least a 4" strip on the back in a rabbet of course. That would support the back edge of the top which overhangs the carcass a bit on the front and sides and decorated with a small ogee profile
Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 AM   #7
koiboi
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

IF he were to do it, he'd give you some well thought out details, IF he were to do it. Unlike the scant information he listed.

LOL most complete post by someone who wouldn't even dream of doing something I ever read! Right on.
koiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 AM   #8
GraphicGr8s
Banned

There are many other things I know HOW to do yet never ever would. Some of them are even legal.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #9
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've got a stand for a 10gallon that I built about a year ago. Going to do another one (hopefully) in the next month.

You can do the whole thing with only a circular saw, and you don't even really need to measure.

go get a 2"x12", at least 42"+2*(desired height of stand), and get it cut in half (approximately) at the store. a 2"x12"x8' should be good for about 24" or so high stand, get a longer piece if you want more height (although, it's going to be a bit unstable with such a small foot print and large height - I put a hook and eye bolt to attach mine to a wallstud).

once you get home, but the two halves lying next to each other up against a wall or something. Leave enough leftover to serve as a shelf on each piece (at least 21-22", you want to have enough for the length of the tank, and around ~3/4" extra on each side), and cut off the pieces for the uprights. keep them butted up against the wall or whatever, and do two simple dadoes across each end of the pieces (set the saw blade so it only goes ~3/4" down, attach something to guide it on each side of the circ saw foot, so it can only cut a track 1 1/2" wide, and just repeatedly cut across that area until you have a notch. A chisel helps a lot to remove material, but if you don't do one, you can do all the work with a circular saw). Make sure you keep the boards butted up against something solid the whole time, this ensures everything is aligned and at the same height. Also mark one end as either top or bottom, so you don't get them mixed up.

Then cut the remainder to fit in the dado and have enough room to support the tank. (also cut both pieces together, butted up against the wall). set one end piece on the ground, put some glue in the notches, and push the shelf pieces in (might take some sanding/pounding with a mallet). Get both seated well, and then add glue to them, and put the other end piece on. Once it's all glued and pounded together, throw a couple screws into each shelf, just to make sure everything is nice and tight and held together. The dadoes and narrow width of the stand help to resist some racking, but it wouldn't hurt to put some diagonal pieces across the back.

Here's a couple pics of the stand I have, everything is a bit of a mess, (it's even worse now...), but it should give a general idea of how it goes together. Second pic is a close up of the top dado joint, to try and illustrate what I was trying to explain up above. You can see the marks from the 1/2assed sanding job I did

It's fairly easy to do, takes only a circular saw (cordless drill helps with the screws...), doesn't need much skill, and is pretty cheap (can probably get a 2x12x8-10 for less than ~$20), and doesn't take much time (did it in a couple hours after work one evening). Just make sure you leave enough room on the bottom shelf so you can work on the 10 gallon easily. probably need a 2x12x10'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2x12stand.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	259706  

Click image for larger version

Name:	dadocloseup.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	259714  

lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #10
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, the space that I have available measurements are 2'Lx1W' and I want the height of it around 2.5' and the 10g measurements are 20"Lx 10"W and height doesn't matter at this point but its 12". So...the stand need to house one on top and one on bottom...I cannot find one made, so building seems to be the answer....anyone have a quick, inexpensive, sturdy way to make one?
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Banned

lochaber's design is pretty quick. And pretty inexpensive.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I have HD cut me 2x4's with these measurements: 4-23", 6-8", & 4-24"...will this build a stand that can hold 2 10g's with ease?
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #13
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Part of the problem with building a stand to hold two tanks, is that the shelf on the bottom has to be supported by legs underneath it, as opposed to just being screwed into the sides of uprights.

Another option would be Hydrophyte's stand:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ght=industrial

But you would have to do a couple modifications to fit a tank on the bottom shelf.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote