The tank of the future?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Lightbulb

The tank of the future?

I commented on a thread at APC about where the hobby may go in the future. It was a quick comment based on the things rattling around in my own head lol. Never the less. What do you think the tank of the future will be like? How long from now?

I think within 10-15 years we will see this...

I think the hobby will split in two; a technological approach and the natural approach. The naturalist will accept that a certain amount of algae is normal and plants don't need to grow an inch per day. The technology side will strive to control everything.

New technological discoveries?

Water filtration will be replaced by water recycling. Similar to pumping water continuously through and R/O unit and adding a plethora of things back.

CO2 diffusers will be exchanged for a gas mixing device where O2 and CO2 levels can be changed by your personal computer. Much like a lung. A sealed wet/dry chamber with pressurized mixed gases circulating the environment. The bio balls representing the alveoli.

Lighting will resemble an LED flat screen capable of an infinite number of specific spectral ranges. All this tied into your computer app.

UV sterilizers will run constantly to kill bacteria that will thrive in a nearly sterile unnatural system. Much like becoming the algae of the future.

What do you think?...
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

No more glass tanks. Water will be held into place with an electro magnetic field aka force field.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
quiquik
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think fish swimming in the air with little water tanks on their backs! LOL! No really this is a very interesting subject, will chime in after more serious thought.
quiquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Andrew.
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

for one there won't be computers, all of that will just be on a smartphone that looks like glass until you turn it on
Andrew. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #5
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiquik View Post
I think fish swimming in the air with little water tanks on their backs! LOL! No really this is a very interesting subject, will chime in after more serious thought.
No serious thought required. This is entirely imaginative. No scientific police. You can defy gravity here! 5 or 1,000 years from now. No difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
No more glass tanks. Water will be held into place with an electro magnetic field aka force field.
Talk about low iron glass! Eliminate it completely lol
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Not unless our current electric grid is changed and fully unhackable.

Plants will be engineered to grow to a certain height and stop yet always look good. You will be able to control your fish with a neural net mind interface to make them do what you want.

There will be no more fish tanks. Everything will be in a virtual reality.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #7
prighello
Shrimp Bane

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think lighting, filtration, ferts, CO2, temp, water parameters, etc. will be app controlled from your phone with no more timers etc. Thus fish/inverts will become easier to breed as you can create the precise environment required for a species.
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:51 AM   #8
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Some new "space age" material to take over glass/acrylic that can be thinner, lighter, shapeable and conforming by the consumer as often as they want.

Wireless equipment all around.

Underwater cameras that can be attached as little dots throughout the tank, infrared etc. Cave cam? I want to watch the more secretive spawning methods without interfering

I would really like to see something like the filtration Zorfox mentioned as well.

The visual of fish with water packs made me almost spit my dinner out.. haha!

Last edited by KribsDirect; 01-13-2014 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: .
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #9
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:01 AM   #10
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)

I think in 10-15 years there will be some magic potion that eliminates all types of algae forever and then a few years later we will find out it causes cancer in the state of California and it will be banned.

Really though the tanks of the future are starting to take shape right now with all the controllers, led lighting, and computer controlled filtration. And I'm sure there will always be those snake oil products that promise the moon for the price of your soul.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More all-in-one systems like the Biocubes and Fluval Specs.
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #12
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Genetic modification is the chick that can't be put back into the potato and we're only going to see more of it in the pet trade from simple hacks to cross-species mingling. Innovative breeders, looking to protect their market, will move past patent protection and breeding laws and work to create hormonal or genetic breeding inhibiters--it'd suck for the hobbyist breeder, but be a god-send for folks wanting to keep live bearers without dealing with unending fry.

Barring a zombie apocalypse technology is only going to accelerate--lighting the easiest target and I could easily see combined systems that test your water, scan the glass for algae build-up, check nutrient levels and adjust your light/ferts/c02 in an all in one self-monitoring system. And with so many homes having huge windows--why not tank glass that automatically darkens to block sunlight as needed? Personally, I'd love to see an all-in-one auto filter/heater/chiller. Or algae eating nano-bots. That would be amazing.

On the consumer side, we're increasingly moving to a culture that consumes rather than produces. Shows like Tanked are leading the way with folks wanting the splendor of a great tank full of fish, without having to do any of the work. Advances in materials bring down costs, widen options for installing and servicing enormous tanks and, though we've seen average home sizes fall slightly, homes are still being built massively larger than needed even as we see average household size decrease. Big spaces cry out for big tanks and excess space makes it easier to give up room for dedicated service areas. We may yet see aquarium tenders become as commonplace as swimming pool cleaners.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

"I think the hobby will split in two; a technological approach and the natural approach. The naturalist will accept that a certain amount of algae is normal and plants don't need to grow an inch per day. The technology side will strive to control everything."

Umm... that's how it is now.

In the near future, the chain store fish departments will disappear. Just like the LFS they replaced. All livestock will go online and the bargain shoppers will still complain about pricing. This will be a major detractor and slow the growth of the hobby as newbes struggle without a human support network.

The government give in to pressure from environmental groups & various PETAphile wackos and ban all flora & fauna not grown in government regulated & taxed business. You will need a permit to own fish and your tanks will need to be tested & certified by the Fish Police.

Hobby breeders & plant growers will go underground, Dwarf sag will be sold by the gram in transactions conducted on street corners. Bags of fry will be smuggled across international boarders.

Eventually, robotic fish & shrimp will be developed and will "swim" in air tanks that are decorated with holographic plants in fish enclosures complete with fish scent emitters so you get the wet floor smell without the bacteria. There will be speakers that run a audio of water coming out of a filter.

That will morph into a holograph that will can be projected to any space even expanded so the view can be in the "tank".
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
TekWarren
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

There won't be a future if we don't stop relying on technology, judgement day is coming.

(I work in IT for a living)
TekWarren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #15
saltykisses
Algae Grower

Your aquarium will be glass/acrylic and the glass will heat the water..and monitor temp..also monitor some of your water Params .. Which will be monitored by an app on your phone when your levels go into at risk it will alert you. You will have innovative internal filters for some people which will have ultra violet sterilisers/ and protein skimmers built in..but some will still want a refugium ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
saltykisses is offline   Reply With Quote