GBR fry help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
Culprit
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

GBR fry help

Hey guys & gals
I have a somewhat heavily planted 29g tank.
About 4 days ago I noticed they had laid eggs.
Today they are free swimming.
I took about 15 fry out and put them in a breeder net on the side of the tank and the rest I left for the parents to raise.
I doubt any will survive in my community tank as my cardinals will make short work of any strays.
I have Hikari first bites and some liquid fry food to try and feed the ones in the net.
Is there enough infusoria or organisms on my plants or driftwood to sustain the ones I left with the parents ?
I figured I might as well take a shot at trying to grow some if I could.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Culprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
H2OCulture
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

First of all, congrats on the hatch! If you cannot get them to eat the first bites or fry food, you can always try hatching some brine shrimp or feeding them a tiny bit of hard boiled egg yolk (powdered egg yolk if you can get it). The surefire food for free swimming Rams are microworms or vinegar eels; cultures of which are easy to find online. As far as the infusoria goes, that's a tough question to answer. How much nutrient load do you allow in the tank, how long has it been running, how many tetra and other fish that will eat the infusoria do you have, etc. In a heavily planted 29gal, there should be enough food for 15 baby rams to move into a larger stage, but that's only my intuition. Good luck raising them!
H2OCulture is offline   Reply With Quote