Tiny Bubbles (Not the Don Ho version)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Fletch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tiny Bubbles (Not the Don Ho version)

On boxing day 2013, I set up a 2g planted bowl (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=1#post4999049

Everything seems to be going well; the water is clear, I have copepods swimming around, snails are keeping the algae in check, and the plants are growing new leaves on a daily basis. I have noticed very tiny bubbles floating up from the gravel. At first I thought it was oxygen from the plants, but it is coming from the gravel. I have 1 inch of loosely packed soil, capped with 1 inch of gravel. I used gravel from an aged tank, and aged water from the same tank. I am hoping this is NOT hydrogen sulfide or some other nasty gas. Any idea what this may be? Ammonia tested less than 0.25ppm on day 10, and 0 on day 18.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
brandon429
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

you can tell by smell nothing beats the human nose for h2s analysis for the levels you are concerned about

smell is rotten eggs and its lethal to copes as it displaces oxygen rapidly and creates fouling conditions. post pics

I suspect it is co2 from bacterial activity or o2 being pumped out by aerenchyma root systems or a combo.

Last edited by brandon429; 01-13-2014 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: sp
brandon429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #3
Fletch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Bubble theory

Sorry, my camera won't resolve these extremely tiny bubbles. However, upon further obsessive observation, I see that these bubbles are actually forming on the upper surface of the gravel, not down inside the substrate as one would expect from hydrogen sulfide. Also, they seem to only start after the artificial light has been on for several hours. They start off looking like very tiny steel balls, grow very slowly, and eventually release from the gravel surface and float to the top. I am thinking these are gases being given off by algae. The bowl smells like fresh dirt, not rotten eggs. The plants, snails, and copepods seem to be doing fine.