New Dual Stage Regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
hello_rockview12
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New Dual Stage Regulator

I recently purchased a dual stage regulator off of ebay and am gathering supplies for my first co2 build. Here are photos:

Front:

Top:

Input:

Output:

Gauges:

I don't think I have the correct ends and will have to see what I will need. What is standard? What type of threads do the solenoids/needle valves typically have/should have?

I did notice the psi levels on the gauges are pretty high, did I buy too heavy duty of a regulator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 AM   #2
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

I'm not familiar with that brand of regulator so maybe one of the regulator gurus will chime in. The operating pressure is a little higher than what we normally use but you should still be able to use it but may be a little harder to dial in. As for what fittings you need you will need a cga 320 stem and nut to replace the stem on it and remove the other pressue adjustment knob so you can place a post body kit to the outlet. Read through this thread for all the information you will need.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=148509
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

The gauge range is fine.

Replace the CGA580 nut and nipple with a CGA320 nut and nipple.

Remove the on/off valve and place the post body regulator parts onto it.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #4
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

That's actually a re-branded Victor HPT500.

You'll need a cga-320 nut and nipple. A solenoid (if you want to put your co2 on a timer), a needle valve and various pipe fittings to put the whole thing together with. The sizes of everything depends on what parts you get. Typically you'll use a 1/4 npt reducer at the regulator and move down to 1/8npt for everything else.

This is how I would put it together (just one example...)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...5&postcount=30

Last edited by oldpunk78; 01-12-2014 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: ops
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
hello_rockview12
Algae Grower

Is this a good regulator? Will I be able to get consistent delivery with it? Thanks for chiming in everybody! I'm currently trying to source a needle valve and solenoid. Once I have these I will go get all the connecting pieces I need for the post body. Thanks for the help and links, everyone, they are all extremely helpful!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

It's a great regulator and yes, you will get a constant delivery with it.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
hello_rockview12
Algae Grower

Two more questions:
  1. There are two adjustments on the bottom of the main body of the regulator that adjust with allen keys. Are these for tightening/loosening the input and outputs?
  2. Can I just buy a guage with a different scale of PSI for ease of adjustment?
Old 01-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

Gauges just tell you whats going on. They don't change anything. The allens on the bottom are plugs.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Solcielo lawrencia
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_rockview12 View Post
Two more questions:
  1. There are two adjustments on the bottom of the main body of the regulator that adjust with allen keys. Are these for tightening/loosening the input and outputs?
  2. Can I just buy a guage with a different scale of PSI for ease of adjustment?
Those are not adjustments, those are plugs for extra holes.

You can buy different gauges though they aren't necessary. You aren't going to do much adjusting with the output knob, anyway. The adjustments should be made only with the metering valve. Personally, if I were to replace the gauges, I'd replace the inlet gauge with 0-1500 or 0-2000psi since CO2 tanks output at ~838psi. The outlet gauge with a 0-100 even if the reg is capable of putting out 125 max.

I hope you got that HPT500 at a good price. It looks brand new. I like the blue handles.
Solcielo lawrencia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #10
larams67
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

The fun part is getting that old CGA nipple off...
larams67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #11
Cab123
Algae Grower

Cab123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #12
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I would agree that finding a way to hold the body without ripping up that nice shine will be the major problem. Second may be getting a good solid grip on the nipple. Rarely one will come off just using a socket on the shoulders of the nipple gets it done but I never expect that much luck. I often go for vise grips and if that doesn't hold, there is still the pipe wrench. In most cases the old nipple is toast! Since meters are reasonably cheap ($10-12) I would go for changing the low side meter just so I could tell if I wanted to move a couple pounds one way or the other. I like 0-60 for my use.
Since I don't have my regs out in sight where they have to look pretty, I find I can save lots of effort and expense by using tubing to tie things together rather than solid plumbing.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:14 AM   #13
hello_rockview12
Algae Grower

Thanks for the information guys! Looks like I have my work cut out for me. I would like to preserve the finish on the regulator itself so as you've pointed out, it could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post

I hope you got that HPT500 at a good price. It looks brand new. I like the blue handles.
It was $100 on ebay! I'd been trying to find a dual stage one on there for a while and finally this one came up. Shipping to Canada, though, was half the price of the unit itself. $150 all said and done. If anyone has a spare needle/metering valve that they would like to ship to Canada, PM me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I would agree that finding a way to hold the body without ripping up that nice shine will be the major problem. Second may be getting a good solid grip on the nipple. Rarely one will come off just using a socket on the shoulders of the nipple gets it done but I never expect that much luck. I often go for vise grips and if that doesn't hold, there is still the pipe wrench. In most cases the old nipple is toast! Since meters are reasonably cheap ($10-12) I would go for changing the low side meter just so I could tell if I wanted to move a couple pounds one way or the other. I like 0-60 for my use.
Since I don't have my regs out in sight where they have to look pretty, I find I can save lots of effort and expense by using tubing to tie things together rather than solid plumbing.
I may be able to tuck my entire system away but it may be a challenge as my stand is quite short. I will have to measure and see what I can do. Also, I will consider changing that gauge up, depending on what I can source locally. I should be able to find all the fittings no problem.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM   #14
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

There are times when things don't fit under the stand and I put them outside. Depends on how your house and room are set up but I like to use the equipment I want and then sometimes make changes to fit that. If the tank and equipment don't fit under, how about outside the stand with a simple cover to hide things. I find a simple plywood box with a sheet over it looks much like a plant stand. My wife likes the plant stand and I get what I want, too. Something like this help?
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I find a simple plywood box with a sheet over it looks much like a plant stand. My wife likes the plant stand and I get what I want, too. Something like this help?
That's a sneaky way to convince the other half so that you can get more equipment for your aquariums

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote