Have you tried...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #1
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Have you tried...

I bought some Repashy super foods today and want to know have you tried it?
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes, its awesome.

What kind did you get?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:51 AM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wasn't sure what to get so I grabbed the Community Plus. What kind do you have? How well do your inhabitants like it?
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 AM   #4
shambhalove.
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the Community Plus too! As well as Super Green, Shrimp Souffle and Meat pie.

All my fish love it

Its really great stuff, there's endless things you can do with it!! I'm surprised there isnt more foods out there like it. Even my ottos dig into the super green, its the only store bought food they'll touch.

Here's some videos i found really helpful...

Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 AM   #5
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambhalove. View Post
I have the Community Plus too! As well as Super Green, Shrimp Souffle and Meat pie.

All my fish love it

Its really great stuff, there's endless things you can do with it!! I'm surprised there isnt more foods out there like it. Even my ottos dig into the super green, its the only store bought food they'll touch.

Here's some videos i found really helpful...

Repashy Superfoods - Getting Started... - YouTube

Supplementing Repashy Food with Medications - YouTube
Wow, great informative videos, thanks for sharing the links.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

This stuff is great! You can do all kinds of things with it such as mixing in other foods or supplements. If you mess up just re-boil it & try again. And the ingredients are high quality not just a bunch of useless fillers. The first 3 ingredients for the Meat pie are: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, which means not just the leftover garbage parts but all the good stuff.

I first tried the Meat Pie ... thought I made to per the directions but must have messed up somewhere as it ended up feeling too watery & was messy (like semi-dry mud). It does sink pretty quick too. I decided to experiment with a small portion of it. First I tried adding a bit more Meat Pie mix but still wasn't happy with the results. Then I added some Krill fines & .5mm pellets to it after I re-boiled it. Can't find a good use for those Krill fines & my fish don't like the .5mm pellets so rather than let them go to waste I figured I'd try them in the mixture. Plus I was trying to see if I could make it float more or at least sink slower (thought the krill fines might add buoyancy since they never seem to sink). It didn't seem to help with that and I must have reboiled a few too many times taking too much water out because it fell apart .. just crumbled. Thought that might work for the Black Skirt and Serpae Tetras though since the bits were so small & they didn't sink as quick. The other portion I made that I didn't boil as much worked out great & the krill fines added a different texture to it .. think I added those after boiling so they stayed together a more.

I recently got some of the Solient Green & mixed it with the Meat Pie plus threw in the Krill fines & .5mm pellets. Now it's firmer, doesn't fall apart & I can pinch off 3-5mm pieces to feed my Bluegills without leaving a mess on my fingers. It's about the firmness of moistened pellets but spongier feeling. Feels more like a firm minnow. LOL They really love this stuff!!

I also got the Super Green hoping to use it to supplement my Oto's diet. Always feel like there's not enough for them to eat in my tank. But the snails really love it and swarm all over it at soon as it hits the bottom so not sure the Oto's get to eat any.

At first I thought it seemed expensive but after seeing how much 1 cup made, it was a lot of food. I hadn't seen that video posted above before I bought mine so it was hard for me to equate the cost to high quality pellets. In the video he used 1/2 cup powder (weighed approx 1 ounce) & it made about 10 oz of food so that gives you an idea of how much food a 4oz package can make. Much less expensive than I first thought.

If you don't have a lot of fish or feed it every day be prepared to freeze it & just refrigerate what you think you'll use in 2 weeks. Or you can just make smaller batches.

The more I use this the more I like it. The only "bad" thing is I spend way too much time in the kitchen experimenting with it.

Last edited by sowNreap; 01-12-2014 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: correcting mispellings
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
This stuff is great! You can do all kinds of things with it such as mixing in other foods or supplements. If you mess up just re-boil it & try again. And the ingredients are high quality not just a bunch of useless fillers. The first 3 ingredients for the Meat pie are: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, which means not just the leftover garbage parts but all the good stuff.

I first tried the Meat Pie ... thought I made to per the directions but must have messed up somewhere as it ended up feeling too watery & was messy (like semi-dry mud). It does sink pretty quick too. I decided to experiment with a small portion of it. First I tried adding a bit more Meat Pie mix but still wasn't happy with the results. Then I added some Krill fines & .5mm pellets to it after I re-boiled it. Can't find a good use for those Krill fines & my fish don't like the .5mm pellets so rather than let them go to waste I figured I'd try them in the mixture. Plus I was trying to see if I could make it float more or at least sink slower (thought the krill fines might add buoyancy since they never seem to sink). It didn't seem to help with that and I must have reboiled a few too many times taking too much water out because it fell apart .. just crumbled. Thought that might work for the Black Skirt and Serpae Tetras though since the bits were so small & they didn't sink as quick. The other portion I made that I didn't boil as much worked out great & the krill fines added a different texture to it .. think I added those after boiling so they stayed together a more.

I recently got some of the Solient Green & mixed it with the Meat Pie plus threw in the Krill fines & .5mm pellets. Now it's firmer, doesn't fall apart & I can pinch off 3-5mm pieces to feed my Bluegills without leaving a mess on my fingers. It's about the firmness of moistened pellets but spongier feeling. Feels more like a firm minnow. LOL They really love this stuff!!

I also got the Super Green hoping to use it to supplement my Oto's diet. Always feel like there's not enough for them to eat in my tank. But the snails really love it and swarm all over it at soon as it hits the bottom so not sure the Oto's get to eat any.

At first I thought it seemed expensive but after seeing how much 1 cup made, it was a lot of food. I hadn't seen that video posted above before I bought mine so it was hard for me to equate the cost to high quality pellets. In the video he used 1/2 cup powder (weighed approx 1 ounce) & it made about 10 oz of food so that gives you an idea of how much food a 4oz package can make. Much less expensive than I first thought.

If you don't have a lot of fish or feed it every day be prepared to freeze it & just refrigerate what you think you'll use in 2 weeks. Or you can just make smaller batches.

The more I use this the more I like it. The only "bad" thing is I spend way too much time in the kitchen experimenting with it.
I did my first batch yesterday...I used 1/2 tsp Repashy and 1.5 tsp boiling water...it cam out great....I cut a few small squares to let all my fish and shrimp test it...they swarmed it..gave them another, swarmed it...lol...I couldn't see the food because they were all getting them a nibble....and your so right, with that little I used it tripled the amount....so I had to explain to my fiance why he should get his inhabitants some once his tank is finished....I will definitely purchase the other ones....do you know if the shrimp souffle is for shrimp only?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #8
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

LOL .. Yeah a little goes a long way! It's great stuff & much more economical than I first thought.

I really don't think the Shrimp Souffle is for shrimp only. I'll be buying it for my Bluegills next time I order. It looks like it has pretty much the same ingredients, just different order. For example here's the first 5 ingredients for a few of the flavors.
*** Meat Pie: Whole Sardine Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Dried Brewers Yeast Meal
*** Shrimp Souffle are: Whole Squid Meal, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Sardine Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Spirulina Algae
*** Community Plus is: Whole Krill Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Whole Sardine Meal. Not sure if Alfalfa Leaf meal is the same, better or what but Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal contains an abundance of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients (more info on link listed below). For my purposes/fish I'd prefer it not be listed as 2nd ingredient. Probably ok for community fish, I'd rather the meat meals be listed higher than it.
*** Soilent Green: Chlorella Algae, Spirulina Algae, Whole Krill Meal, Whole Squid Meal, Whole Sardine Meal. Since the Chlorella Algae isn't listed as a meal it may or may not in reality not be the top ingredient but it's probably still way more than other fish foods contain. Plus this one does have a lot of Spirulina since it's the 2nd ingredient which is always used in dry form. Yeah .. I've spent a lot of time reading about fish food ingredients.

To get a lot of good info on fish food ingredients I use this site: http://www.oscarfish.com/fish-food-ingredients.html
He seems to have spent a lot of time researching fish food ingredients. It's the only site I've found that actually names a lot of ingredients you see listed in fish food, what they are, why it's used and whether it's a preferred choice or not (it might just use a cheap protein source that doesn't have as much benefit). Repashy does have a lot of high quality ingredients, something I'm willing to pay a bit extra for. My fish probably eat healthier than I do. LOL
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:33 AM   #9
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

sowNreap@ I agree...I like having a "healthy" variety for them and I reallllllly love how much it makes...wow...I will get a new one every week until I have them all...we have a store, local, that sales all of them so I will be getting them all of it...."blessed inhabitants"...lol