My Hens and Chicks Plants - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 12-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #91
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Twenty
Wow! Impressive! Beautiful! I've never seen hens and chicks in that rich red color.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #92
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

Twenty
I just checked out your photo library......where did you get these plants? The variety is amazing. So beautiful.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #93
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was lucky in that a local nursery carries many varieties, but there are some amazing online nurseries out there such as Squaw Mountain Gardens. Plus I've done trades with people in the sempervivum forum at All Things Plants.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #94
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

wow amazing stuff. Saw your gallary. So jealous of people and their back/front yard succulent gardens :P Ive had semps for almost a year now and majority of them were green the entire summer. They are in my balcony facing west which gets the most sun from any direction. I guess its still not enough for them to go red.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #95
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

Winter makes them red. They are reddest in the spring and early summer and get greener throughout summer.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #96
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

Twenty
Thanks for the plant sites. Going to check them out. Keep posting
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 AM   #97
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know Ive not updated but I got more pressing concerns

I posted this on another forum but have not got help yet, so Im posting here as well because I know there are knowledgeable people here.

"Hi guys, the temps finally went above freezing for two days in my balcony since, I dont know, at least a month so theyve not gotten water since.
One of my semp has turned white, dunno what it is. This is before the watering, I think.

Last night I watered them, it was 1c so it could be the plants were at the freezing mark. It was dark so I couldnt see, just watered them nicely. I wanted to water asap because it takes a while to dry out. Its almost at the freezing mark right now.

So I watered them and this morning many of them are just...flat. What the heck happened? They look soggy too. Did I make a mistake?"

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 01-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #98
Fishnshrimp2
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

If they're soggy then they froze. I have a few that did this 2 nights ago. I forgot to bring them in the house. I thought they would be safe inside my greenhouse.
Fishnshrimp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #99
twentypoundtabby
Planted Member

I have all of mine outside where it got -12 F (-24 C). Some are in the ground and some are in pots. I have learned over the years to never ever water them in the winter. Even if they look shriveled. They are dormant. Once spring comes they will plump out again.

I do lose some, but the vast majority live.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #100
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the response.

So I heard the ones that are flat are dead. This sucks!! I watered them when it was above freezing. But they are soggy, which does mean they are most likely dead. I still dont understand about the white brown semp, how that happened.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #101
caliherp
Algae Grower

As you are well aware by now watering plants when temperatures are close to freezing is a big no no. Especially potted plants. The damage is already done though. While the worst of frost damage usually shows its self almost instantly, it can take up to two weeks for the damage to manifest itself. The only thing you can do at this point is wait and hope for the best. Don't toss the brown ones yet. There is still a chance there is some life left in them, although highly unlikely I figured id let you know.

I have had to deal with mealybugs one time. It was actually when I first started to collect succulents. By the time I realized I had a problem they reached epic proportions. Once I figured out they were root mealys I tried everything I could. In the end I just tossed what I had and started fresh. Now whenever I get new plants I quarantine them as I acclimate them to my to my lighting conditions. luckily for you normal mealys are easy to deal with. You can eradicate them rather quickly with h2o2 treatments or insecticidal soaps . When I get home ill check my notes to let you know how concentrated the h2o2 should be. I would use a fan to get some air movement around your plants indoors to help keep them in check. Don't let this discourage you. You can manage this.

Besides the bugs how are the plants doing under the lights?(specifically the Agave)

Regards, Patrick
caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #102
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Patrick, totally missed out this thread.

Im so sad about my semps. Majority of them are probably dead. I wont be touching them till spring, thats when I will toss them out and see what to plant.

The plants with mealy are reduced to almost nothing. Like you mentioned I found out too late. Im not sure if they are still alive, its very annoying. Im seeing small leaves coming out of two different plants but I still see white spots here and there. I cant tell if they are still here. If I do see an actual mealy walking around, I will rain with soapy water and isopropyl if necessary.

The rest of the plants have not grown under my light. Agaves have not grown, my parviflora's outer leaves have gone black. Im not sure whats causing that but I should google search it. The cactus shriveled up. I thought the low humidity was killing them but after googling, they are just hibernating. The rest of aloes and succs are dorment as well. They dont look any worse or better, just the same. So Ive been on my toes all winter hoping for spring to come. It seems no succulents or plants I keep indoors for the winter do well. Which is why initially I wanted to keep plants hardy to my zone.

On a side note my parents keep many tropical plants as well. For some reason one of the creeping plant just died. The other plants are getting yellow leaves. Im not sure if its from over watering or underwatering. Its only 1 or 2 species of plants doing this.

I hope everythings going well with you Patrick?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #103
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thumbs up

UPDATE!!! My bro is awsome. He bought some really cool plants for me. Ones a senecio stapeliiformis kilimanjaro, the rest I have no idea. Can you guys ID them so I can search on how to take care? One is an air plant. Low humidity is bad? I can try to put it in a glass bowl and fill it with water or something.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #104
Bserve
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default My Hens and Chicks Plants

My succulent bowl. It's about a year old now.

I usually dump a glass of water once a week and just leave it. Sunny SoCal treats it well.
Bserve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #105
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Can you guys ID them so I can search on how to take care? One is an air plant. Low humidity is bad? I can try to put it in a glass bowl and fill it with water or something.

Tillandsia bulbosa... a fairly easy & hardy tilly. Should be okay with low humidty. A good soak (in a container of water for a couple hours, or more, once a week) will probably suffice. Should be okay resting on top of the soil (as shown in your picture)... no need to plant directly into soil. If kept outdoors, make sure it is well shaded with "no" full sun.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.