Hyzer's Easy Mode 29g - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #61
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Here's the P. furcatus (I think):

And some others:

Hyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #62
robb.ferg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

those are not furcata rainbows... furcata have yellow fins and blue eyes.
robb.ferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #63
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb.ferg View Post
those are not furcata rainbows... furcata have yellow fins and blue eyes.
Yeah, that is what has me scratching my head. The eye is a bit blue when the light reflects the right way but the fins don't seem right.

Any idea what it is?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #64
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

Interesting. My female furcatas have very blue-ringed eyes, a yellow dorsal fin (the smaller fin on the back that is closer to the head), and the area where the anal fin is attached is yellow-ish too.

Frontal flash might make them look a bit different (color-less) compared to lighting from above.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #65
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Interesting. My female furcatas have very blue-ringed eyes, a yellow dorsal fin (the smaller fin on the back that is closer to the head), and the area where the anal fin is attached is yellow-ish too.

Frontal flash might make them look a bit different (color-less) compared to lighting from above.
This one definitely does not look like yours or any other beautiful furctas I've seen pictures of. I just guessed it was that species because it has a slightly blue eye and the egg or fry came from your tank. Weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzer View Post
So can anyone ID this?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 AM   #66
tinkerpuppet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow, beautiful tank! And I love the story of the mystery fry. Any chance its an Emerald Eye Rasbora? It looks a lot like mine. Kindof colourless, but the eyes glow when the light hits. The fin looks a bit different though in that picture.

Here's a pic I found online (not mine)

tinkerpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #67
etk300ex
Algae Grower

Another great tank Sir! Still up?

I'm not stalking you I swear! haha
Old 11-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #68
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk300ex View Post
Another great tank Sir! Still up?

I'm not stalking you I swear! haha
Yup it's still up, but not as nice as it once was. I need to clean it up a bit and add an air stone. Not much oxygenation with little surface movement.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:34 AM   #69
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I still have no idea where this fish came from or what species it is. Here are a couple pics from tonight. It should be about 2 years old now. Some sort of minnow? Any ideas?

Old 01-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #70
mossback
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Too many dorsal fins to be a minnow, so some sort of blue-eye still has to be the best guess. Maybe a sub-adult female? With that prominent lateral stripe fading as she matures?
mossback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #71
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

I love your tank! its a lot like mine

what are your params?
what do you dose and how often?

your needle leaf java fern looks great! i should really switch my regular java fern to needle leaf
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:46 PM   #72
DanielleE
Algae Grower

The mystery fish vaguely reminds me of a Madagascar Rainbow, though I'm not sure quite how likely that is. Regardless, it's a pretty fish with a very beautiful home!
DanielleE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 AM   #73
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossback View Post
Too many dorsal fins to be a minnow, so some sort of blue-eye still has to be the best guess. Maybe a sub-adult female? With that prominent lateral stripe fading as she matures?
They are getting the pretty darn close in the fish section. Leaning towards a bluefin killi, but it just doesn't have much color, the caudal fin looks off, and mine seems to have both a dorsal and adipose fin.http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...81#post5060881

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
I love your tank! its a lot like mine

what are your params?
what do you dose and how often?

your needle leaf java fern looks great! i should really switch my regular java fern to needle leaf
Thanks buddha. I haven't tested anything other than TDS in this tank for a couple years. TDS is 115 -140 depending on how recently I did a water change. I don't dose nutrients other than fish/shrimp food but I probably should because I get some algae and growth isn't that healthy. There are some bits of Jobe's Fern sticks way down in the substrate.

I yanked all the needle java fern a couple months ago to see if I can get the bolbitis and anubias going instead. There was just way too much of it. Part of me regrets it because it was the focal point of the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleE View Post
The mystery fish vaguely reminds me of a Madagascar Rainbow, though I'm not sure quite how likely that is. Regardless, it's a pretty fish with a very beautiful home!
Thanks Danielle. When I compare it to pics of the Mad. Rainbow I can see similarities but just not a match.

I'm working on getting the plants in this tank healthy again. When the bulb burned out on my fixture a few months ago I opted to buy a Finnex Fugeray instead of another T5HO bulb. The plants are recovering nicely and I'm really impressed with the Fugeray.

I'm going to add a traditional air powered sponge filter in preparation for turning this in to a shrimp (Cherry and Amano) only tank. The shrimp game is calling.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #74
Hyzer
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Scrimpin

It's been a while since my last general update. Removing the huge fern really took away from the look, but everything is still healthy.

A few hardware updates:

-Replaced the Hydrofarm T5HO with a Fugeray when the bulb burned out a few months ago. Hanging it was interesting, heh.
-Added a heater controller because I liked it in my 40g and it gives me peace of mind.
-Removed the mini Koralia and added another sponge filter (this time air powered) in preparation for shrimp.

O.G. Amano

A couple fauna updates:

-Moved my mystery fish to the 40g. It seems to be enjoying bossing the Rasboras and Neons around. It was the last remaining fish in this tank for a reason.
-Finally started on my Cherry colony! Thank you Fdsh5.

Hygro. Compact continues to intrigue me. In my 40g high light CO2, it was big and bushy with wavy inconsistent leaves. In my 8 gallon med light tank it had small red leaves. In this tank it has taken on an almost brown color with medium sized leaves.

My long term goal for this tank is a thriving Cherry colony. I want to get some experience with culling and selective breeding and I figure this is the best way to start.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:55 AM   #75
zetvi
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

A very inspired budget tank! I have a mistery fish came out of java moss too, growing and hatch just in my cool temp rcs tank. It turned out to be a rainbow though!
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote