Circulation??? Help!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
kgbradford
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Circulation??? Help!

Hello Everyone,

I'm just stating a new 60 gallon tank. One of the things I bought was a circulation pump. Well, actually what I bought was a "1600 GPH Circulation Pump Wave Maker Aquarium Reef Powerhead." So I'm thinking this is too big. Put in my tank (which has no water in it yet) and it just looks huge. When I first bought the pump, I read somewhere that told me this would be the right size. But after doing some more research I found I should be more 800 GPH.

The reason I want a pump is because I'm going to be having Rainbow Fish as well as plants and they love circulation. My question is what kind of pump should I get (Wavemaker, Powerhead, Circ Pump, What the diff?) and how much GPH?
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
The Trigger
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'd go for a powerhead that's rated for the next size up from your tank. The purpose is just to help circulate the water better if your filters not quite cutting it

But 1600 gph is just overkill. I'd return it.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-13-2014 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
The Trigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah 1600 GPH would kill in tank that size. Does it have the option to back it off some and turn it down? If so you could stick with it. Otherwise return it and get something else. The Hydor Evolutions are nice circulation pumps and really affordable if you do your research and look around on the net. I know 2 600 GPH works good in 55G. While it was perfect it was a little lighter than I wanted but something in that range maybe 1 850 would be nice too.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
scape
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the trigger View Post
but 1600 gph is just overkill. I'd return it.
+ 1
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
kgbradford
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I went ahead and purchased an 800 GPH. I think this will work much better.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
zetvi
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

If I'm correct you are purchasing such item from a supplier on ebay right ? If so, those are sun sun wave maker. I just returned the 800 gal/hour for the 530 ( or 570) gal/hour from the same seller because the 800 gal/h blows everything in my 55 gallon. Basically i think you might want to stick with something 10x your aquarium volume, may be the same with me? But since you seems to have ordered it, try it on and lets us know how it works!
zetvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Rob in (ca)
Algae Grower

I had a 750 GPH Pump on my 100 G and it was to powerful, plants / fish did not like it one bit. I'm now looking into the 450 GPH pump.

I also have a 250 GPH nano pump on the very bottom / rear of my 100G and works great but is only effective to that part of the tank.
Rob in (ca) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
randylahey
Algae Grower

I just put 2 hydor 425s in my 90 and they work great. After a week, that last little bit of troublesome bba is finally starting to fade away.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
randylahey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:51 AM   #9
scape
Planted Member

What I've found out is start with a smaller gpm pump and work your way up as your plants develop.

It never hurts to have a few hydors around, as they are reasonably priced and have that neat magnet mount that keeps them where you put them.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
kgbradford
Algae Grower

Well i put it in the tank and it seems to be fine. Since the plants are freshly planted, I did decide to hold off turning it on for long periods of time as not to uproot any but I like the way it moves my jungle val. It is powerful. As for the rest of the plants, their too little to really see how it is affecting them. I think the biggest factor will be how the fish respond when I get them in the tank.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
Aqguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in (ca) View Post
I had a 750 GPH Pump on my 100 G and it was to powerful, plants / fish did not like it one bit. I'm now looking into the 450 GPH pump.

I also have a 250 GPH nano pump on the very bottom / rear of my 100G and works great but is only effective to that part of the tank.
450 is good kinda like a swift river current but not enough to destroy the tank