Breeding question livebearers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 AM   #1
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Breeding question livebearers

If you breed a regular platy with a balloon platy what will the offspring be like? Will you get some regular and some dwarf? Just curious. Has anyone done this? By accident or on purpose? Balloon mollies with regular mollies?? What would they look like?

Last edited by amcoffeegirl; 01-13-2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Spelling
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #2
alex009
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I imagine the regular fish would have the dominant genes (ballon fish are inbred for generations to pull out these traits) so the offspring would most likely be regular. Or its possible they could bring in traits from both parents as livebearers often do woth colors. I'm not a breeder though so I'm not sure.
alex009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I don't know. I just recently found what I believe is a molly x platy hybrid. There are no male mollies in the tank. The mother had a clutch 7 months ago, when I first bought her. Since then I have never noticed fry. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a fry. The tank was designed to ensure offspring of any kind would become snacks. This fry was a live several days (possibly a week) before I noticed it. It had no egg sack, it was pooing, and eating insuforia off of the leaves, as well as diatom/algaes. Since then it eats flake foods. I named the bastard Dawn/Don--it has only grown and added color, the head turned yellow (like the mother)-the tail is clear for the most part. The shape so far resembles the mother.--What I believe the father is: "MICKY MOUSE BLUE SUN SET Platy"-would love to see some of dads colors mixed with mother Creamcicle molly.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #4
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical Fish Guy View Post
I don't know. I just recently found what I believe is a molly x platy hybrid. There are no male mollies in the tank. The mother had a clutch 7 months ago, when I first bought her. Since then I have never noticed fry. About 3 weeks ago, I noticed a fry. The tank was designed to ensure offspring of any kind would become snacks. This fry was a live several days (possibly a week) before I noticed it. It had no egg sack, it was pooing, and eating insuforia off of the leaves, as well as diatom/algaes. Since then it eats flake foods. I named the bastard Dawn/Don--it has only grown and added color, the head turned yellow (like the mother)-the tail is clear for the most part. The shape so far resembles the mother.--What I believe the father is: "MICKY MOUSE BLUE SUN SET Platy"-would love to see some of dads colors mixed with mother Creamcicle molly.
Thanks for the reply. Get pics when you can, would love to see them.
I have had a guppy x Molly cross once but he never bred with the guppies or the mollies. This may be the funniest reply I've ever gotten. Just really well written. Hope the baby grows up big and strong. Lol
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.