green water for daphnia
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #1
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

green water for daphnia

i think i may have hit on a way to get green water conveniently.
green water is probably the best food for daphnia since it is incredibly easy to use. its just about impossible to over feed with green water since it is alive. just leave a light on it and there is no danger of it rotting and fouling the water.

well, we cant always have green water handy, and it can be a pain to get started sometimes. if the algae isn't in the water to begin with, it just wont grow. its just about impossible to know what kind of algae you will end up with if you just put a tank full of water under full light. i usually end up with cyano.

and that brings me to the latest thing i tried as feed for my daphnia.
i saw something called astaxanthin powder. it was advertised as a fine powder, derived from Haematococcus pluvialis, a type of free floating algae.
it worked really well.
then i noticed something odd... after a couple days in a tank, the bright red powder started changing colors. it turned green

so i looked up H. pluvialis and found out that it turns red when it is exposed to harsh environmental conditions. its one of the things that allows this particular algae to survive in vernal pools.

so, i had basically been feeding my daphnia a type of free floating algae that had been completely encysted. so, it was all live algae.

so, the astaxanthin powder is really dried green water, ready to spring back to life as soon as i put it in water and shine a light on it.

fully live green water powder, for freshwater.
except its red.
auban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
H2OCulture
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had no idea it would survive the spray drying process. Incredible! I'm trying this ASAP. What type of water did you use, light, temps, etc?
H2OCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

You mean you have found a powder which can be saved on a shelf somewhere and just make almost instant green water from it ?
You know I do algae in my tank already. But this will alow me to keep cultures of Daphnia instead of just using scuds for
my Banded Pigmy sunfish.
And where can I get this ?
Old 01-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

heh, I was just researching astaxanthin yesterday. It's a super antioxidant sold in the health food section.

I was going to buy it to try on myself and use it as a fish food supplement. It's what give shrimps and flamingos their pink/red color.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
Warlock
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Link removed.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Aquabid links are not permitted.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Link removed.
lol, if i remember correctly, you were referring to a seller that uses spirulina powder to create green water. while it seems to work for her(i know the seller) it never has for me. spirulina powder always seems to fall out of the water column too quickly. after a few hours, nearly all of the spirulina powder is at the bottom of the tank. astaxanthin powder, on the other hand, stays suspended for days and days, until the daphnia eat it. that alone is a big reason why i have come to like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
And where can I get this ?
kens fish sells it...

there are also a couple sellers on ebay that sell it.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-20-2014 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: Back to back posts
auban is offline   Reply With Quote