Dojo Loaches in outdoor tank where temps can reach 110F
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 AM   #1
digitalqueso676
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dojo Loaches in outdoor tank where temps can reach 110F

Hey all! Thanks for reading, I have this crazy idea. I have a 55 and a 20 gal just sitting about. I want to have a tank outside on my patio this summer. Lots of plants, some sandy areas, the works. Only issue is the temps can hit over 110 some days. And while I dont think the tank water is going to get that hot, I know there will be some possible 20 degree temp fluxuations throughout a 24 hour period. I want to keep my dojos out there, and possibly some mosquito fish or something cooler (suggestions?). What are your thoughts on this? Am I crazy?
digitalqueso676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
datsunissan28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

The water will far exceed the temperature outside if any sunlight hits it. The glass will trap the heat in it. If you buried the aquariums in the ground it will act as insulation and help stabilize the temperature.

I tried this with excess plants from my aquariums this past summer in Ohio with temperatures in the 80s and low 90s as the high and it killed all the plants everyday.

It did work great for getting all the excess tannins out of new pieces of driftwood.
datsunissan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i wouldn't recommend it. think of the fish tank like your car in a parking lot.

or if you have a coverd patio you can keep it on that will keep the temp down, but its still going to get very hot. i would imagine that you will have to do a lot of top offs.

i think the 55g is a better choice for a outdoor tank than a 20l, the more water volume, the longer it will take to heat up the tank.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

One crazy ideas deserves another.

Dig a hole at least 4' deep. At the bottom put in a 150 gl.
rubber made stock tank. Cover the sump well with a sheet of plywood and
put a sign there so no one falls in.

That buried water will stay cool to cold, ground water is typically 65degrees.

Get a strong pond pump that will push enough head height to get out & up to your 55gl tank. Pump the water out of the sump/well and run it to your tank. Run an overflow return to the sump. Have that return go into a 5gl bucket 1st that is full of filter media.
drill holes in the bottom of the bucket so the water runs though it into the well/sump.

A good cheap media would be a commercial floor scrubber pads. Black are the most course, white are the finest. Have the water run through a black pad then a white before it drains into the sump tank.

You should be able to keep the 55gl tank under 80 degrees in the day. /Run a timer on the pump. Run the sump "cooler" starting in the am. run until sundown. Adjust time as need with summer heat.

If you do this a journal is a must.

PS - Toss me a little credit as your concept engineer.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i love it dog fish!

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Fishumms
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I've had several dojo loaches in an outside tank. They were in I believe a 30 or 50 gallon tank I cannot remember. I had a covered balcony. At the time I was living in Los Angeles and it did get very hot, but I do not think 110. Usually in the summer it gets around 98 at the most there. The tank did not get direct sunlight except maybe a little here and there. The balcony faced to the East but it was sticking out so that it got sun from all three sides. The tank itself sat so that the wall of the balcony was level with the rim of the tank and the tank was up against the East facing wall so it was in the shadow instead of having the sun hit it directly. I had that tank up for I think 3 years. I had 5 loaches in it. Some grew very large. The problem I had was at a certain size they really wanted to jump out. Another thing that I think helped was the tank was kind of "terrarium" style in that it had emerged plants on the top creating shade as well. As someone already mentioned the tank needed to be topped off quite a bit at certain times. It probably lost about 2 inches ever day or so. I kept a bucket full and ready at all times.

At one point I had probably about 8 tanks out on that balcony. I think the fish really liked it as well. I never had any thermometers in the tanks so I cannot guess at the temperature fluctuations, but the only thing I ever worried about was that the tanks would get too cold. I had heaters in all of them. Once there was an actual frost for just one night and I lost a few cory cats, but that was about it. I think an outside tank can easily be done provided you are careful about how you pick the spot and where you place the tank and what you put in it.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote