Fluval Flora Filter Drama
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #1
Inkling
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Flora Filter Drama

So, I bought a fluval flora. I like it. I really do. EXCEPT, the filter is unbelievably loud. It rattles and whines worse than any filter I have ever had. The funny part is, if I turn it up full-blast, it's silent. I would simply turn it up all the way, but I have baby shrimp in the tank, and I don't want them to have to fight the current. (For the record, I tried that already and freaked out when I saw the babies struggling). I have been on other forums where people have complained about the filter and seen other people dismissing the complaints and saying it must just be their particular unit.

I've pulled mine apart and put it back together again...with no change at all in the level of sound.

I know I can't be the only one who's dealing with this.

If you don't know a way to fix it, what would you recommend as a replacement? It needs to be small enough to fit in a 7.9 gallon tank, quiet (!), and friendly to shrimp babies.

Thanks for your feedback!
Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #2
Tim S
Planted Member

NO WAY!!! I bought an Ebi a while back and it just started making this same sound yesterday and its right next to my bed! I cleaned and pulled the whole thing apart, checked for air bubbles. So, no your not alone. I'm looking into a small canister now.
Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
peguinpower
Algae Grower

I have the same problem. The tank was going to be placed in my bedroom as a night light. I upgraded to a ZooMed 501.

BTW, dont try to fix it. I went as far as gluing the impeller to the shaft to minimize rattle, NOT! I also stuffed the intake channel with filter floss to reduce inflow, and hence outflow. SAME THING. The rattle, I suspect, is between the impeller magnet assembly and the main shaft
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
Cynth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

I have two EBI's, I replaced the fluval filters with small canisters.

My Fluval EBI

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
Cynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #5
trixella
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

The filter that came with my Flora is quiet but I ended up using it in a 10 gallon tank and I ordered a Aquatop 20 IF-300 (says it's suitable for up to 30 gallon aquariums) internal filter off of Ebay for about $12 that is very quiet and running well on the Flora. It's nice cuz it's smaller than the Fluval filter. I've read that people with a loud Fluval will do something like sand the impeller, I think (don't quote me on it), and have it help make them quieter.
trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
Tim S
Planted Member

I switched over to the Zoomed 501 today, but is it just me or is the flow design reversed from what we usually use? Instead of course filter, bio then carbon the flow of the filter is setup for carbon bio then back out to the tank with course filtration, at least mine is.
Fluval Ebi Pimp #6
Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
Augustw
Algae Grower

same thing here! the filter BLOWS!!! plus it takes up waaaay to much room in that size of a tank :/
Old 06-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Inkling
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for helping me feel less alone and crazy. I'm thinking that a canister is the way to go. It's such a shame though. I've had such good luck with fluval in the past. It makes me wonder why they'd make a filter with such an obvious problem.
Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
Allisonleigh
Algae Grower

3 years later and they haven't fixed the problem! Got a fluval flora for xmas, researched a bunch before setting up and heard about the filter noise so I set it up empty and ran it like that for almost a week, the filter was silent so I thought "Good for you fluval, you identified a problem and fixed it." Nope... It is now 3 days after planting all my plants and I wake up to the filter making a loud, obnoxious grinding/clanking noise. I have the filter intake covered with mesh so there's nothing in there... guess it's time for a canister filter. What does everyone recommend for this small of a tank, an ehiem?
Allisonleigh is offline   Reply With Quote