Need opinion on planned 40breeder
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-12-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
anthony10292
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need opinion on planned 40breeder

I have been wanting to upgrade my 20high to a 40breeder
So far I have:
-40 gallon breeder tank from petco sale this past summer
-eheim 2215 canister, also have aqueon quietflow for 30 gallons but not sure if I will be using it in new tank
-soil capped with ecocomplete from current tank (20h)
-diy co2

I ordered an odyssea 36in dual T5HO 6500k from aquatraders

I plan to order by Monday:
-Koralia nano 240, to help ensure good flow if I'm just using my eheim 2215
-Ista max mix reactor for my diy co2 but plan to upgrade to pressurized in the near future
-eheim jager 125w heater, heard great things about their dependability and longevity
-another bag of ecocomplete to cap the eco and soil from the current tank

How does this setup sound?

I plan to keep a pair of GBR, small school of denison barb/roselines, school of ottos, school of corydoras, and I may move over some cherries once tank is well established. As far as plants, Im really not too sure. What would do well with the light I ordered?
anthony10292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

sounds good, only thing i would change would be skip the DIY Co2. setup the tank once you can afford a pressurized co2 setup. an aquatek Mini paintball Co2 regulator with solenoid, 20oz co2 paintball tank and a diffuser will cost about $150. Ive been running for over 3 months at 1-2bps with my 20oz co2 tank.

what species of plants do you want to keep? dual T5HO fixture will let you grow any plant you want.

According to this guy, that fixture will give you 86 PAR at 16"
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187881

the only other thing i would be worried about is your canister filter powering the reactor. Its my understanding ( no first hand experience ) that reactors require a substantial amount of GPH to run properly. maybe consider a glass diffuser or inline atomic diffuser.

Last edited by Sean W.; 01-12-2014 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: .
Sean W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Out of the gate I planned to keep my diy co2 setup, but in the near future I plan to upgrade to press co2. Not really sure where to start with pressurized. But would like to keep it under $200 and would like a solenoid so I would not have to manually adjust the valve daily.

For the reactor, I have read that 100 to 250 gph would be sufficient but thats what is claimed on drfostersmith. Im pretty sure the 2215 has a 150 gph but no telling what it really is...

As far as plants, I plan to move over some of the plants from my current 20 gallon. I have bacopa, lud repens, dwarf lily which has appeared to split into two plants, dwarf sag, some jungle val. I may want to try a sword, some crypt, maybe crypt parva, glosso. Alot of plants I know but I'm still trying to figure it all out. Locally, none of these plants are available, so I would have to order the plants online. Do you have any recommendation for plants under the odyssea 2 bulb T5HO?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Do you think I would be better off using 2 or 3 23watt CFL bulbs over the 40 gallon or the odyssea T5HO?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
Out of the gate I planned to keep my diy co2 setup, but in the near future I plan to upgrade to press co2. Not really sure where to start with pressurized. But would like to keep it under $200 and would like a solenoid so I would not have to manually adjust the valve daily.

For the reactor, I have read that 100 to 250 gph would be sufficient but thats what is claimed on drfostersmith. Im pretty sure the 2215 has a 150 gph but no telling what it really is...

As far as plants, I plan to move over some of the plants from my current 20 gallon. I have bacopa, lud repens, dwarf lily which has appeared to split into two plants, dwarf sag, some jungle val. I may want to try a sword, some crypt, maybe crypt parva, glosso. Alot of plants I know but I'm still trying to figure it all out. Locally, none of these plants are available, so I would have to order the plants online. Do you have any recommendation for plants under the odyssea 2 bulb T5HO?
Like i said in my first reply, you can start up an entire pressurized Co2 system with the Aquatek Mini paintball regulator that has a soloniod built into it. I have that one and it works awesome, never had a surprise with it. I have mine on a timer and it has never failed. love it. Get your self a 20oz Co2 tank from walmart for $20 and get your self either a glass diffuser for the inside of the tank or get an inline diffuser.

Regulator: $99
Co2 tank: $20
diffuser: $10-$40

Very capable pressurised co2 setup for (well) under $200

as far as plants that i would suggest, it really is whatever your heart desires, you will be able to grow them all with that substrate, Co2 and lighting.

I havent been at this for very long but some of my favorits so far are

Staurogyne repens
ammania sp bonsai
Blyxa japonica
regular baby tears (Hemianthus micranthemoides)
Dwarf hair grass
Rotala Mini Type 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony10292 View Post
Do you think I would be better off using 2 or 3 23watt CFL bulbs over the 40 gallon or the odyssea T5HO?
I am going to be setting up a 40 gallon breeder here in not to long and i plan on using that same odyssea light fixture.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post

According to this guy, that fixture will give you 86 PAR at 16"
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=187881
What exactly is a par of 86 considered? Med to high light?

Also have you used the odyssea light or have you yet to set it up? How the performance? Read about some problems in the past but they supposedly fixed the issues, reducing the chances of the light smoking and catching fire.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

its the lower end of high light. Anything more than that is more than any freshwater plant needs. Infact, when i use that light i might raise it a few inches above the tank to lower the par a bit
Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM   #8
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
its the lower end of high light. Anything more than that is more than any freshwater plant needs. Infact, when i use that light i might raise it a few inches above the tank to lower the par a bit
And that 86 par was without water which would be about perfect. Not really looking for issues with algae like I'm having in my current 20h gallon with 3 spiral cfl mounted horizontally over it, about 64 watts...
I was about to go with the quad light, glad I stuck with the two bulb setup for under $50.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yup yup, the dual fixture is perfect for the 40 gallon.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #10
anthony10292
Algae Grower

You currently have staurogyne repens? I saw a tank over on YouTube and forgot what they were called. Thanks for mentioning them. If you have a lot I'd be looking to buy? Def no LFS around me that will carry that plant lol

Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #11
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i currently have about 130 stems of S. Repens, but none that i am looking to sell right now. Check out the for sale/wtb section. From what ive seen, if the plant isnt in this for sale section, it simply doesnt exist. Someone will have whatever youre looking for. look real quick in the for sale section, if you cant find it there put a post in the Wanted section and someone will get to you shortly. Also, petsmart sells it. probably 10-15 stems for $9.

heres my most recent video of my tank

Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM   #12
anthony10292
Algae Grower

Well hell I'll have to check out petsmart then. Never really paid attention to their plants because I read that they sell some plants that werent meant to be submerged as tank plants.

Thanks for all your help man

Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
Sean W.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some of the plants in the tubes arent meant to be submersed, but all the plants in the packages are fully submersible. Also the each package will say somewhere on it " submersible " or " not fully submersible ".

Another awesome plant to check out that they sell is pogostemon helferi.

No worries man, glad i was able to help! good luck!