CO2 addition and lights?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
aquariumjunky
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

CO2 addition and lights?

Hey so can a planted tank work well with simply lights (looking at 3-4.5wpg) and was thinking of adding pressurized co2. Not a lot of co2 just 2-4 bubbles a second or something like that. I really do not know much about co2 just thinking about adding it since it can be a hands off addition just fill tank every year or something. I add little fert tabs into the substrate for my plants but really don't want to do all the monitoring or controlling or daily liquid fert adds.

So do I sound like I have something that could work with the lights 390watts of compact flourecent with ability to add another 130 if I remove acintic in a 150 gallon tank.

Any thoughts or help? places to get me started?

Thanks greatly
Steven
aquariumjunky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2007, 04:20 AM   #2
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

too much light IMO.
for 150 gallon you can grow anything at 2 wpg.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #3
geministudios54
Algae Grower

In my experience it's an absolute MUST to have CO2, even at moderate levels added to the aquarium with this much light. Be prepared for much in the way of pruning because I think your plant growth will be excellent!!..Good luck
geministudios54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
captain_bu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

With 3-4.5wpg of light you will definitely need to add and monitor your CO2 levels and add ferts. The more light the more CO2 and ferts you will need to have available for your plants. If you want less potential problems and less work go with less light.
captain_bu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 05:39 AM   #5
aquariumjunky
Algae Grower

ok here is what I want to do. Run CO2 pressurized into my tank but not really monitor anything except maybe ph. Second add fert tabs once a month or so around plants. Third watch my fish and plants grow.

For a set up like this which i really do want low tech without monitors and controllers and such how much light would I want in a 150 gallon tank?

Thanks for any help And I am willing to read is someone can point me to a good place to learn what I need to learn.

Thanks again for your help,
Steven
Old 12-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

what plants areu you planning to grow in your tank?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
BiscuitSlayer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumjunky View Post
Hey so can a planted tank work well with simply lights (looking at 3-4.5wpg) and was thinking of adding pressurized co2. Not a lot of co2 just 2-4 bubbles a second or something like that. I really do not know much about co2 just thinking about adding it since it can be a hands off addition just fill tank every year or something. I add little fert tabs into the substrate for my plants but really don't want to do all the monitoring or controlling or daily liquid fert adds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariumjunky View Post
ok here is what I want to do. Run CO2 pressurized into my tank but not really monitor anything except maybe ph. Second add fert tabs once a month or so around plants. Third watch my fish and plants grow.

For a set up like this which i really do want low tech without monitors and controllers and such how much light would I want in a 150 gallon tank?

Thanks for any help And I am willing to read is someone can point me to a good place to learn what I need to learn.

Thanks again for your help,
Steven
If you are going to run that much light you have to have CO2. Trust me on this. The other thing is that it is not going to be a "hands off" type of tank. It is going to require a lot of maintenance and care. If you are looking for something that requires less maintenance you might want to check out the low light or low tech tanks.
BiscuitSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #8
aquariumjunky
Algae Grower

ok then how much light can I have in my 150 gallon and only add small dose or no dose of co2 and have plants live. I am not talking about anything special just swords, anubius, crypts and things like that easy plants java fern and such.

I can always run two strips of blue bulbs and only two strips of 6700k for 260watts of actual light and 260 of blue or just not run it all!

So how much light can I run with out having problems I have only 130 watts running now and even with fert tabs I can't even keep plants alive at 24 inches deep.

Help?
Steven (p.s I have lights on way but co2 is just thoughts in my head)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.