Brand New Fluval Spec 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Octantis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Brand New Fluval Spec 3

I got this tank for Christmas for my desk at my office. It's my second tank. My daughter has a Betta in a 2.5 gallon tank at home. I enjoyed it so much I got my own.

I've been lurking on this site for months learning the ins and outs of planted tanks. Then I decided to take the plunge.

This tank is a Fluval Spec 3. It has three different types of plants in it. Anubias Nana on the left, Anubias Nana Barteri in the middle, top and right, and Staurogyne Repents in the front and right.

The substrate is Floramax black or midnight. It is the gravel stuff and not sand.

The driftwood has been submerged for 2 months and boiled for over an hour and it still releases tannins albeit at a much slower weight. It's mounted to a piece of slate under the substrate as it still floats.

The big rocks came from the side of the highway near my house. They've been boiled and tested with vinegar. The little rocks came in a bag that I picked up from Michael's for $2.

The pump tube is a custom job. Another user on this site posted a pick and links and for the life of me I can't find it back. In any case they are Zoomed replacement parts for their Nano 10/30 filters.

The rubber elbow is a PTC-11
http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...414&category=0

The tube and plug are PTC-13
http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...595&category=0

The suction cup and clip are PTC-7
http://zoomed.com/ecom/ProductDetail...559&category=0

The parts are really cheap but shipping wasn't free. I had to cut down the tube some as it would have stuck into the substrate.

I have yet to put a Betta in there as I just started the cycle but I'm hoping that the flow is to his liking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo smaller.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	257377  

Octantis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #2
Octantis
Algae Grower

This tank is about 12 hours old. I added the water using a piece of air tube as a siphon into the pump housing. It took for ever but kept the cloudiness down. I didn't wash the substrate either.

I wanted to buy the plants from a local fish store but they were 99% sold out. They weren't expecting another shipment until after next week. Instead I purchased them and the substrate from Pet Smart. The driftwood came from a local fish store in Springfield MO when I was there over Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Octantis; 01-09-2014 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Added more information.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
dru
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I am wondering if these parts would work on the Spec V?
dru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #4
Octantis
Algae Grower

I believe so but can't answer for certain. You take off the twisted nozzle on the spec but leave the rounded gimbal part. Then the rubber elbow slides over top. The fit is snug enough but there's lots of play.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
dru
Planted Member

One more question: did that stopper come with the spraybar?

I have the zoo med 501 and didn't get a stoper for my spray bay. That always seemed strange to me.

Nice tank BTW! That piece of driftwood is awesome.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
Octantis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
One more question: did that stopper come with the spraybar?
Yes the plug did come with PTC-13 which is the bar. I wasn't sure if it did or not so I ordered an extra plug and ended up not needing it.

I think the part number for the plug was PTC-46 in case you are interested. You could also use some sealant or some cork to plug up the hole.

I don't have a fish in here yet but the water is moving enough to make the Anubias near the left edge sway in the breeze. If it turns out to be too much for a Betta I'll probably drill a second set of holes. Will keep you updated.

Quote:
Nice tank BTW! That piece of driftwood is awesome.
Thank you.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
kman
Wannabe Guru

Nice! So if I'm not mistaken, you simply popped off the stock fan-shaped outflow sprayer, and instead put an elbow and spray bar (or just a pipe that your drilled?) from some ZooMed spare parts, to lower the flow rate? Very clever mod, and doesn't mess much with the tank's aesthetics, I like it.

What are you doing for heat?
kman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
Octantis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Nice! So if I'm not mistaken, you simply popped off the stock fan-shaped outflow sprayer, and instead put an elbow and spray bar (or just a pipe that your drilled?) from some ZooMed spare parts, to lower the flow rate?
You got it. I used the ZooMed spray bar as well. The holes in it at the moment are what came stock with that part. It may need some more holes or the holes made bigger.

Note, this is not my design. I found another user on this site that had done it before and I just copied. If I remembered where I saw it I'd give him/her credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
What are you doing for heat?
I used the
Hydor 25W Submersible Aquarium Heater. Hydor 25W Submersible Aquarium Heater.
Another user on here said it fit well in the Specs and had adjustable heat control. It comes with suction cups and fits every easily inside of the pump compartment on the spec.

Last edited by Octantis; 01-09-2014 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Link in post was broken.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
kman
Wannabe Guru

Interesting. I have an unused Finnex canister filter laying around at home with a very similar collection of spare bits, perhaps I'll give that a shot to see how well it works in my Spec 2g.
kman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
dru
Planted Member

Any updates?

How are your mods working out?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #11
MaiDoM
Algae Grower

Nice mod!

I've been looking for these parts in Canada but can't find them anywhere. I also did 5 hardware stores and none of them have the good tize pvc pipe / elbow
MaiDoM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 AM   #12
Octantis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Any updates?

How are your mods working out?
I started a tank journal (in my signature) if you want to follow along). Currently fighting diatoms but I think I found the source of my Silica.

As for the mods they are working out well. Had to punch in some extra holes in the tube for the Betta to be happy with the flow. The rubber elbow and suction cup are magnets for some sort of film. It's whiteish and easily removed. If left on for too long some algae starts to grow on it.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
Octantis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiDoM View Post
Nice mod!

I've been looking for these parts in Canada but can't find them anywhere. I also did 5 hardware stores and none of them have the good tize pvc pipe / elbow
I'd guess that Zoomed would ship to Canada. Not sure if that is more trouble than it's worth.

Was thinking at some point I should make and sell my own mods for profit.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #14
aclark092

Very nice, I like that piece of wood. Fits very well!
aclark092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
fluval spec, fluval spec 3, nano planted, nano tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.