Issues with paintball CO2?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
JoeLlama
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Issues with paintball CO2?

Hi everyone, I'm new to planted tanks, and particularly to CO2 systems. I've been doing some reading, and I decided I may as well set up a CO2 system with the paintball tanks I've had laying around for years. From what I've gleaned off of some great threads around here, it seems that all I need to do is buy an on/off regulator and put a needle valve in it.

Will
this this
and the needle valve linked at the bottom work for my purposes? Other than that, all I will need is a check valve, diffuser (Have one already), and some sort of monitoring method like a drop checker right? Is there much need for a bubble counter if you have a drop checker in the tank? If I'm totally missing something important, or you have anything helpful to add, please do, as I'm pretty dumb about all this.

Needle valve: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-4...-A41/202254836

Thanks

Edit: For whatever reason I can't get the second link to work...

Second edit: Has anyone used/heard of this thing? It seems like a good deal as well:
Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Adaptor CGA320 to Paintball Bottle: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Adaptor CGA320 to Paintball Bottle: Pet Supplies

Last edited by JoeLlama; 01-04-2014 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: Changed the link for the needle valve
JoeLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
stealthypotatoes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)

I wouldn't buy a asa valve that comes with a guage. Chances are, the guage is gonna leak. I would buy those two separately. but yea that one would match with the needle valve.
If you plan on turning co2 for 2-3 hours once in a while like me, you wouldn't need a drop checker.
The needle valve that you linked isn't really that good. I bought that one too when I first started. Later on, I upgraded to a swagelok needle valve; more precise. The watts one isn't that precise. It pretty hard to control the bps/bpm.
If you have more money to spend I would get the Atomic Paintball Co2 Regulator V2 by GLA.
Link: http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-re...ulator-v2.html

That set up looks really cool and professional. I also heard the owner is really nice.
stealthypotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #3
dvscar
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

the paintball tanks you have might have expired so check that out first.
dvscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #4
JoeLlama
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the input. Stealthypotatoes: any chance you could link me to that swagelok? It seems like they have a pretty huge selection, and I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I'm trying to avoid spending $150 on this, so no fancy regs for me.

As for expiring, the tanks are still good, but thanks for reminding me to check.
JoeLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
rdmustang1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

There is a seller on here that sells complete setups (minus solenoid) starting at $39 shipped. I've been thinking of trying one. Might be another option.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
prighello
Shrimp Bane

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you could part with $90 that would get you an aquatek mini. Its a real deal regulator with a solenoid.

Amazon.com: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: AQUATEK CO2 Regulator Mini: Pet Supplies
prighello is offline   Reply With Quote