My diy led light sketch But witch controller to use???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #1
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My diy led light sketch But witch controller to use???

Hi i am looking for a controller for my led project to dim, moonlight, cloud........ so i come up with a few of them. I was looking at arduino uno diy but i do not have enough knowledge in electronic to build it and no programing knowledge. I Know there are a few "program" here i do understand the basic of how it work (well i think i do ) but its not for me so i come up with those

http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-led-controller-2

http://coralux.net/?wpsc-product=storm-x-led-controller

http://shop.stevesleds.com/Typhon-Ty...ler-Typhon.htm

The coralux has more option (storm-x more channel) that i like and its base on arduino program (you can download the firmware of it on the web page so if someone have the time to look at it and let me know if it seem a good well done program it would be more then appreciated). The thyphoon seem more basic so probably more "stable", easier to setup but lest channel. So if some electronic master could have a quick look and give me your opinion one those it will be really appreciated. And if you have an other controller to recommend let me know.

Thanks

My Rough led sketch
Ultimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

You need LED drivers - constant current drivers - to run LEDs. To do the various lighting cycles you want, the LED drivers have to be dimmable, and the type that are controlled by PWM, not a variable DC voltage.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

the six little black box are drivers dint write them write they are going to be Meanwell LDD-700H LED Driver and i am using 3w high power led soder on star with they are all 700ma max on 2 400mm140mm20mm heatsink cool by fan

Old 01-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Go with the Storm X controller. It's got the best dimming performance available right now with 16 channels and 12 bit dimming. I build my own version of the "typhon" controller and have used them for the last few years, but the Storm X is by far better.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2surplus View Post
The Storm X is by far better.
Thanks for the help

Here is an other question. What size wire would you use to joint the Led? I want the smallest but safest possible.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimbow View Post
Thanks for the help

Here is an other question. What size wire would you use to joint the Led? I want the smallest but safest possible.
20 - 22 gauge solid core wire works great for connections between Leds, but you'll need to use stranded wire between the drivers and the leds.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers, and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
Deano85
Algae Grower

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't LDD-700H drivers need 4 move volts on the input than output. If you wanted to drive 12 3w leds you would need like a 50v+ power supply.
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't LDD-700H drivers need 4 move volts on the input than output. If you wanted to drive 12 3w leds you would need like a 50v+ power supply.
The maximum number of leds that can be driven is totally dependent on the Vf of the leds and the current level they're being driven at. The Vf of an led will vary depending on the current, so more leds can be driven in a series string at low current than at high current. Another item worth noting- Most "voltage adjustable" power supplies can be adjusted + or - a certain percentage. I've got a 48V power supply that has an adjustment range from 40 - 56V.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #9
Deano85
Algae Grower

The vf of a 3w led is going to be at least 2.9v and well over 3 for the cheaper ones. I don't see how he is going to adjust a 12v power supply high enough without some kind of booster.
Deano85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #10
Ultimbow
Algae Grower

the power supply i am using will have 3 12v output so i should be alright with putting 2 driver per output i hope