led height
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #1
drkspiritdc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

led height

i have a 36" 90 degree angle build my led fixture. i have it 3" above water level dimmed down to 75% my question is should it be higher i believe its burning some plants not sure.40g breeder dirted tank im running pressurized co2 and dosing dry ferts. ( el dosing)
drkspiritdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
JParisi48
Algae Grower

Try around 40% I was melting some plants in my tank with co2 and ei dosing. I still saw good growth and no melting
JParisi48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Every tank is going to be different, but you may need to dim the light a bit further. Remember that dimming LEDs is not a linear function--dimming to 50% (which is really dropping the power by 50%) gives you light intensity greater than 50% (more in the range of 57-60%) because LEDs become more efficient as you drop the power. So JParisi's dimming to 40% is probably dropping the light level to 50% of full power, which isn't a bad place to start...from there you'd want to tweak CO2 input and supplementation until everyone looks happy. Once that's done, if you want to have faster growth then start slowly bumping up all your levels. It's all a balancing act.

Hope this helps!

Cara
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Which fixture are you using? 10k? XB or regular? I am asking because I have the same tank and can't decide between a regular 10k or maybe a Dutch XB.
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #5
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
Which fixture are you using? 10k? XB or regular? I am asking because I have the same tank and can't decide between a regular 10k or maybe a Dutch XB.
Unless you have a deep tank I think you will be fine with the Original. My 10K Orignal actually looks better on my 90G than my 55G.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
They'll give you equivalent PAR, but the 10,000K is a cooler tone while the 6300K is warmer. If you're keeping lots of reds/pinks/oranges/violet-toned plants then the 6300K will make them look better to you than the 10,000K, but both will provide equivalent growth.
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote