combining different fixtures
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 01-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Titansfever83
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

combining different fixtures

Tank: 24"x24"x20"
Substrate will be approx. 2" deep

I have a stainless steel light suspension kit that rests on the top of the rimless tank and is about 18" above the top of the water and 35" from the substrate. Right now I do NOT plan on anything high tech planted, but I know later in the year that I will so I want to go ahead and buy the proper lighting.

So my range from the substrate is around 18-35" using cables from the stainless steel kit. The distance between the two vertical stainless steel pipes of the hanging kit is 22.5" so I will have to go with an 18" fixture.

I do not think one 18" fixture will spread enough light from the front to back of the tank so I was considering ordering two fixtures(XB series).

If you indeed think that two will give me nice coverage over the whole tank, would you go with two different spectrums, say a 10000k and a 6300k to get nice coloration or two of the same. I am not sure of specific plants but I will have reds, oranges, greens, and maybe purples.
Titansfever83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Cara@BML
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi there!

Good news: our fixtures come with L-brackets that fit into a channel on the top of the fixture and slide up and down the length of the light, so you will be able to suspend a 24" light above your tank...and this will be a better option that the 18" fixture as it runs 30 LEDs rather than the 15 in the 18". I don't think an 18" will adequately and uniformly cover 24"-wide tank unless you planned on keeping very low-light, undemanding species on the ends.

Is there any reason you need to suspend the light fixtures so far from the surface? You'll be losing a significant portion of your light simply due to distance, and would do much better to hang the lights a few inches above the surface of the water. If you do go with such an elevated suspension, you're likely to achieve only medium lighting even if running two XB fixtures. If you keep the fixtures closer to the water, you can easily achieve high light parameters.

As far as spectrum, our most popular combination is the 6300K with the 10,000K. I'd get the regular and not XB 10,000K if you went with that option; if you prefer sticking with only 6300 fixtures then two XB's should work fine. To my eyes, the 6300K renders colors in the red/pink/orange group far better than the other spectrums, but if you prefer cooler lighting you may prefer the 10,000K.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any further questions!

Cara
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.