Are my LED lights burning my plants or is it a deficiency? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #16
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

There's no way snails are causing those pinholes, if that's what you're getting at. More likely, the plants are robbing their lower portions of nutrients to make up for a deficiency. Study the formation of your decay and read up on identifying deficiencies. Also, when acclimating the stem plant /environment don't "want" the lower portion anymore and it will waste away to release the healthy portion, and often send new shoots from the base if the root base is healthy and receiving light.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #17
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
There's no way snails are causing those pinholes, if that's what you're getting at. More likely, the plants are robbing their lower portions of nutrients to make up for a deficiency. Study the formation of your decay and read up on identifying deficiencies. Also, when acclimating the stem plant /environment don't "want" the lower portion anymore and it will waste away to release the healthy portion, and often send new shoots from the base if the root base is healthy and receiving light.
I have more 300 snails in there. Lol there are to many to count, no exaggeration.

The tops of the plants have had this discoloration pretty much from the start, but it has slowly gotten slightly worse. It looked brownish to me but I guess it could also pass for purplish. The bottom portions of all the plants are lush and green. I am going to try hanging the lights.
Mrnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #18
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Patience is your greatest friend in this hobby and is greatly needed so get to know it well. Sudden and knee jerk reactions can sometimes cause more problems than good.

Hanging your lights certainly won't hurt but like already suggested you need to cut back your photo period for starters.

What is the plant that this is happening to or is it all of them? Is it possible this species of plant has purple or red tops that you might not be aware of?
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #19
Mrnbo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
Patience is your greatest friend in this hobby and is greatly needed so get to know it well. Sudden and knee jerk reactions can sometimes cause more problems than good.

Hanging your lights certainly won't hurt but like already suggested you need to cut back your photo period for starters.

What is the plant that this is happening to or is it all of them? Is it possible this species of plant has purple or red tops that you might not be aware of?
Oh yea, I cut way back. It's only going to be on 6-8 hours like suggested. It looks like it's pretty much all of the plants that have the color at the top, to some effect. It's entirely possible that it's supposed to be purplish because I don't know what plants I have. Lol they came with the tank.

Kind of a crappy pic, but it's got the whole scape.

Last edited by Mrnbo; 01-30-2014 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: picture
Mrnbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, deficiency, floodlights, led, plants