How did they DO that?? Tale of Indestructible Guppy Fry.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-18-2007, 03:55 AM   #1
JennysPlanties
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

How did they DO that?? Tale of Indestructible Guppy Fry.

If you've happened upon any of my recent posts you will know that last week I took all of the fish out of my planted tank and put them into an empty 30 gal to treat them for a mystery ailment. I also turned the CO2 WAAAY up in the planted tank to try and combat a serious algae outbreak caused by a broken CO2 reactor.

When I transferred the fish I drained ALL of the water out of my tank. There was maybe 1/8-1/4" of water that I couldn't get out of the tank, but for the most part it was EMPTY.

Much to my surprise two days ago I noticed a tiny little guppy swimming around in the tank. I was astonished, but chalked it up to him being able to hide in a small pool that must have been in one of the corners. I was amazed that he had managed to survive with the incredibly high CO2 levels in the tank, but figured that nature somehow finds a way.

Pretty unbelievable, right...until today when I saw that there are actually FIVE guppy babies swimming in my tank. They were all hanging out together near my Rotala, having a grand old time. How did they DO that?? Survive a 100% water change and ridiculously high CO2 levels for a week. I am shocked at their tenacity. I'm going to feel awful when I put the rest of the fish in next week if they get eaten... but I don't think there's any possible way to catch five one week old guppies in a heavily planted 55 gal tank...

55 Gal bowfront: Heavily Planted & Stocked w/ Rena Filstar XP3, Jager 250w, AH Supply 2x55 & 1x96, Flourite substrate, Red Sea CO2 system w/ 20# tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ated-pics.html

12 Gallon Eclipse planted w/ Shellies!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...tml#post554060

My fishtank ate my quarter fund...
JennysPlanties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 05:37 AM   #2
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Guppies can live in darn near any water quality. It doesn't matter how old they are, what salinity, pH, any of that is. There's a reason they are sometimes called the MillionFish: You can't kill them so they keep reproducing!

There have been times when I wanted to kill off a very small number of remainder fish so I could move and there just was no humane way. I put tons of salt in there, I cranked up the temperature, I did EVERYTHING. They can survive the apocalypse if you ask me! That's why I love these suckers!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
WaveSurfer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Give the fries a chance to survive. They deserve it.

I especially bought a new tank just to house all the guppy fries, some of which have already grown up to adult sizes. It's very satisfying to see all these babies growing up healthily.
WaveSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
JennysPlanties
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Yes, my guppies do very well in my tanks. I've probably got about 5 generations between my 2 tanks, and I regularly trade them back in to my LFS.
There's not much I can do to ensure the survival of these 5 though - I sure as heck can't catch 5 tiny fry in a 55 gal heavily planted tank... I'm hoping that by next week when I put the rest of the fish back in that they'll be big enough to get away from the other fish.

55 Gal bowfront: Heavily Planted & Stocked w/ Rena Filstar XP3, Jager 250w, AH Supply 2x55 & 1x96, Flourite substrate, Red Sea CO2 system w/ 20# tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ated-pics.html

12 Gallon Eclipse planted w/ Shellies!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...tml#post554060

My fishtank ate my quarter fund...
JennysPlanties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.