Fletch's Fishbowl Shenanigans
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Fletch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fletch's Fishbowl Shenanigans

I have had a serious case of the dreaded Aquarium Disease since I was 10 years old. It starts with one five gallon tank, and then a neighbor has a 10 gallon to give you, and then you buy a 20g tall, then a friend gives you his 15g and so on until you have no wall space in your house, and people can hear the hum of your air pumps all the way down the block. I tried AA, but it turns out that the first A is for Alcohol. For the last few years I have only had 2 tanks running, and thought I had things under control. Then I saw a posting on planted bowls. I just had to give them a try. My first bowl is a clear glass bowl just under 2g. I got it at the dreaded WalMart for 14 bucks. I put a 1 inch layer of soil (washed MGOC potting soil with 10% unscented non-clumping cat litter) on the bottom, and covered with 1 inch of aquarium gravel from a mature tank. I planted two rocks, some Cardamine Lyrata, 3 Crypts, 4 sprigs of Ludwigia, 1 Anubias nana, and some Didiplice Diandra. When I planted the stem plants, I shoved them right through the gravel layer, into the soil layer beneath. I supplement natural daylight with a 23W Compact Fluorescent Daylight 6500K desk lamp. I kept the volume of water low so that I could easily see if I was getting an algae bloom. Here is the day 1 picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowl1 Dec26 2013 high angle.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	254801 After 24 hours, the water went grey-green with an algae bloom, so I did a 100% water change. Since then, the water has remained crystal clear. On Day 7 I noticed that many of the plants were developing brown algae on their surface so I added 4 ramshorn snails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Good start. Just remember that with less water volume you are likely to have more issues due to the confinement. Personally I would fill it to the brim. You will know when algae appears in that small of a tank.
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
Fletch
Algae Grower

Default Fletch's Fishbowl Day 9

On Day 7, after I noticed brown algae on all the leaves, I did another 100% water change (used aquarium water) and added some ramshorn snails. By Day 9, the 4 tiny ramshorns had cleaned all of the algae off most of the plants. If you look at the photo of the Anubias leaf on the right, it still is half covered with brown algae. By the time I got around to doing this post, the snails had totally polished off the algae. I love these guys. Now if I could just get them to clean my kitchen. Might have to fill the kitchen with water though. Also, they didn't die of ammonia poisoning, so I thought that was a good sign. Still nervous that I am going to get some sort of ammonia spike, or massive algae bloom, mainly because this is actually my first "dirted" tank. Herbert Axelrod's ghost is telling me that using dirt in an aquarium is insane, but all the fantastic pictures on the internet are telling me the opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowl1 Day 9 top.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	254865  

Old 01-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Fletch
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
Good start. Just remember that with less water volume you are likely to have more issues due to the confinement. Personally I would fill it to the brim. You will know when algae appears in that small of a tank.
That was my plan. Push the issue, find out sooner (ie. while I was still on holidays) so I could react immediately. It's full to the brim now. Love the magnification look.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Fletch
Algae Grower

Default Another shot of Day 9

A better shot of the slightly dirty Anubias that my buddy the snail totally polished by the end of the day. Hmmmm, apparently I need to do some reading in the photography forum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bowl1 Day 9 Snail at Work.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	254881  

Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Fletch
Algae Grower

Went back to the dreaded WalMart and bought the last 2g clear bowl in the city. If there was an Aquariums Anonymous, I would have to call my sponsor
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Nah, "addiction" is when you go out to dinner and find yourself eyeing the oversized wineglasses wondering if they'd be too top-heavy to make a good pico tank. Or haunting the thrift stores on your day off collecting interesting vases, bowls and glasses.

My high (low?) point was 40 nano/pico tanks, 36 of 'em 1g and under. Took me a year to work my way down to just the seven tanks that I have now.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #8
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Went back to the dreaded WalMart and bought the last 2g clear bowl in the city. If there was an Aquariums Anonymous, I would have to call my sponsor
Carefull! I started off with too many tanks initially and my wife got sick of the sight of them. After toning it down she now appreciates a nice tank haha. I do miss my bowl though, all i ever had to do was top off the water and it handled the rest. I will subscribe to your thread and check on the progress!
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Fletch
Algae Grower

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzero1 View Post
Carefull! I started off with too many tanks initially and my wife got sick of the sight of them.
I have no such impediment to my obsession. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. :|
Old 01-05-2014, 01:38 AM   #10
Fletch
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Knotyoureality;5000425]Nah, "addiction" is when .... haunting the thrift stores on your day off collecting interesting vases, bowls and glasses.

You just described my morning.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Fletch
Algae Grower

Day11: Crypts are melting?!? Everything else is growing beautifully. Fresh leaves, good color, no algae on surface. Some plants even bubble off oxygen later in the day when the artificial light comes on. Crypts have decided to punish me for moving them from my main tank. They are melting. I may have to make an example of them.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

All my crypts melted then came back strong. I now get the occasional light deprived melted leaf.
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 AM   #13
Fletch
Algae Grower

I think I have figured out why my Crypts were melting. It's been a very cold winter, and my house is cold. Below the range where tropicals thrive. However, they are still growing new leaves, and appear to be adapting to the conditions. This got me wondering if I could find a small heater to bring the temperature up. I found a Fluval bowl heater http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo
So, I started a new bowl, that is now heated. It should be an interesting comparison.
See how I rationalized another bowl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bowl2 Day1-2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	261834  

Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
Fletch
Algae Grower

Default Yes we have no bananas

I am hoping that the banana plant likes this bowl, and sends leaves to the top of the tank. I love the way the bowl warps and magnifies. The Fluval 7.5W pad heater buried under the substrate seems to be keeping the temperature at 22-25 degrees C, while the rest of my house is at 20 degrees.
I used new, small grain, quartz gravel for this bowl. Unfortunately it was not from a cycled tank, so I may have some algae and bacteria blooms for a while. The water was from an established tank, so that may help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bowl2 Day1-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	261874  

Old 01-18-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Fletch
Algae Grower

Here is a Day 23 pic of my first bowl. After an initial burst during the first two weeks, growth seems to be slowing down. Most likely due to the fact that my house is quite cool. There are 5 ghost shrimp in this bowl now, living up to their names.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bowl1 Day23-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	261882