What's the verdict on liquid fertilizer in a low-tech set up?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-09-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Oscar17
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

What's the verdict on liquid fertilizer in a low-tech set up?

I have a question about liquid fertilizer in a low-tech (no CO2) set up. I read that there is no need for liquid fertilizer in a low-tech set up. I went by this and did not use liquid fertilzer until my last two water changes. I've actually noticed my plants perking up and growing new shoots. What's the verdict on liquid fertilizer in a low-tech set up? Use it, don't use it, use it sparingly...?

Tank: 33 gallon (almost heavly planted, not there yet). No CO2 not even liquid. European water (pH 8.0 to 8.3 out of the tap). Tank pH 7.6 to 7.9 (depending on time of daylight period). KH 7. Dupla Root substrate fertilizer. Two 59 cm long tubes (one daylight, one warmlight) with reflectors. The Juwel-Rio 125 light canopy comes with water proof end caps and light fixures so that the bulbs can safely sit just two inches above the water.

Plants: Anubias nana, Althernanthera sessilis, Bacopa aquatica, Bacopa monnieri, Crypt. wendtii, Crypt. walkerii, Crypt x. willisii, Hygrophila difformis, Nomaphila agustifolia, Java Fern and Java Moss.

Live occupants: 13 adult Guppies, about 20 dwarf blue shrimp (adult size 3/4 inch), 5 young (3 or 4 month old) Guppies, Many guppy and shrimp fry and of course the tiny snails (hope they're the good ones).

Tank is 9 months old but some of the plants are only 2 or 3 months old.

Thanks! comments welcomed.
Oscar17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 04:27 PM   #2
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Some say do and some say do not. I went a long time without using ferts in my low tech tank.

I just started using 10ml of Pmdd a week and it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

some people do not dose any fertz because they get what they need in thier water from the tap, others arent so lucky. its deffinantly not going to hurt anything as long as your not going crazy with it.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Oscar17
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks guys, that's about the feeling I had. Use sparingly I imagine especially in a low-tech with no CO2. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my plants and see what works best.
Oscar17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
kzr750r1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar17 View Post
Thanks guys, that's about the feeling I had. Use sparingly I imagine especially in a low-tech with no CO2. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on my plants and see what works best.
That's the biggest key. Watch the plants and see if they improve with more ferts. As others have said don't over do it. Stay consistent so you have some bench mark of improvement. Wild swings in minerals don't allow the plants to acclimate well to what is available.
kzr750r1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
bastalker
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

If they are all slow growing plants, the tap water, fish food, waste etc...is enough. Some of your plants are pretty fast growers. I would prolly add ferts sparingly an see what happens. You can always back off the ferts if things look like they wanna change for the worst.

tc
Mark
Old 12-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #7
dekstr
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Well I say it doesn't hurt to dose sparingly.

If you have a generous bioload and feed generously, plants should get all the nutrients they need. But light dosing once every 1-2 weeks will help with any nutrient limitations.
dekstr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.