Wow, what a maintenance crew!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 03-05-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
geoffs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd setup my 72g bowfront planted tank a week ago. Then, 2 days ago, as if by magic, brown algae (diatoms) and thread algae started appearing everywhere. Over the course of 1 day the thread algae had grown on the back wall of the tank to be up to 8-10 inches long!

So, last night I travelled up to the LFS and got myself a cleanup crew - 3 SAE's, 6 oto's, 3 bronze cory's, and 10 Amano shrimp. I really didn't expect much overnight, but boy was I amazed. This morning I woke up and lit up the tank and whadda you know... ALL the thread algae on the back wall of the tank was cleaned up.

At this moment the cleanup crew is scouring the plant leaves and devouring all the brown algae and hair algae on the leaves.

This is great!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Tonyd
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like they did quite a job! It must be great to have a LFS where you can actually find all those guys.

Tony
Tonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyd
Sounds like they did quite a job! It must be great to have a LFS where you can actually find all those guys.
That is what I was thinking tony. I need to find a LFS where I can find some amano's!
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #4
jart
Wannabe Guru

careful geoffs... next thing you know, the critters will be looking to elect a union rep... :P
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 05:47 PM   #5
geoffs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyd
Well, it was a LFS in a manner of speaking

Actually, I have quite a few pet stores near me (like within 10 miles) that deal in fish too, but they are very poor fish stores. There are also some fish stores within 10 miles but I am not impressed by them. No, the place I went to was up in Portland, OR, about 28 miles north of me and it is just an el primo place for FW fish. It's called The Wet Spot :roll:. Their selection of fish and other aquatic critters is just amazing.

Geoff
Old 03-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
geoffs
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
careful geoffs... next thing you know, the critters will be looking to elect a union rep... :P
If that will be the case, I guess I am going to have to add lots of nitrates and phosphates to my water and up the lighting to 18 hrs / day, because if I don't supply algae they might take offense and go on strike

Geoff