Where to collect rocks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Oregon

Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 AM   #1
vanz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Where to collect rocks?

Anywhere nice around Beaverton that I can go to collect rocks? I like the seiryu looking style rocks. I have access to river rocks...but rather have ones with more character.
vanz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #2
ksimdjembe

PTrader: (0/0%)

Anywhere you can find rock and stones is generally ok for a tank. Try to stay away from materials that are grainy, some will break apart in your tank (think sandstone). Depending on what you are keeping, it is often helpful to do a vinegar test to check if the rock will change your water chemistry.
I can't say I know the rock type you mention, I'm personally a fan of river stones (rounded stones of diff colours).
ksimdjembe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
Planted-tnk-guy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Default rock

Lava rocks would be the closest thing to the rock you are looking for that is native to oregon and washington valcanic activity = great rock. It is more common in sisters and bend but be careful where you collect as it is a crime in the state and national parks in oregon. Yamhill has some amazing rock that i use and many of the large rock yards carry lava cheaper than the aquarium stores. Sweethome has nice rocks on the side of the road as well. Try back roads most of our rock is pretty stable for aquariums but has to be scrubbed well since the clay will be stuck to it like glue.
Planted-tnk-guy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #4
skelley
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Have you tried areas that have been blasted to allow for roadways etc? I have had pretty good luck along train tracks and especially along some biking corridors (Springwater and Gresham/Fairview). Maybe there are old, abandoned rock quarries that you could visit? I'm not sure of any in OR, but there was one in NY we used to swim in at night as teens. In hindsight, they had pretty cool rocks.
skelley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
vanz
Algae Grower

I decided to order my rocks online...figured it was a hassle to lug my toddler and infant around the cold to look for rocks this time of year. When spring/summer time comes, I will look into finding my own if the rocks I get online are not suitable.

I visited oregon decorative rock off 217 and the closest thing they have is lace rock.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #6
Planted-tnk-guy
Algae Grower

If you get a chance this spring or summer go to the sister through salem the black lava up there is amazing and woth the drive to pick some up. Some amazing water falls up there too
Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
vanz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted-tnk-guy View Post
If you get a chance this spring or summer go to the sister through salem the black lava up there is amazing and woth the drive to pick some up. Some amazing water falls up there too
I saw some obsidian while in central oregon last year. First time there, amazing stuff. Is this the stuff you are talking about?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Planted-tnk-guy
Algae Grower

Default picture of oregon lava

It is not the same as lava obsidian is certain silica that was heated during erruptions and turned into glass. It is great looking stuff but nice lava is very porus much like coral but os volcanic and will not break down in water. We have both red and black in oregon but i like the black the best and there are some amazing pieces up there i have attached a picture of a piece im not at home so cant send a picture of a real nice piece but you will get the idea good ones are packed full of nooks and crannies you can choose large to small rocks or rubble. They look much better up there than this picture same stuff as on the Hawaiian islands. You could also choose the lava flow type or the popcorn type i lime the later but the flow type could be great in certain aquariums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4178C6Ds8CL._SY300_.jpg (17.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-29-2013, 11:26 PM   #9
Planted-tnk-guy
Algae Grower

Found a good picture of the lava fields gives you an idea of the rocks but they look better in person i promise you that. It is legal for oregonians to privave collect off road clearings for personal use and private lands with written permission from the owner. You can look up rock hounding in oregon for more information. But small scale collection is ok as long as not in the lava flow park and the same thig for obsidian and petrified wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0085.jpg (153.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
vanz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted-tnk-guy View Post
Found a good picture of the lava fields gives you an idea of the rocks but they look better in person i promise you that. It is legal for oregonians to privave collect off road clearings for personal use and private lands with written permission from the owner. You can look up rock hounding in oregon for more information. But small scale collection is ok as long as not in the lava flow park and the same thig for obsidian and petrified wood.

Thanks for sharing that, I'll have to remember that the next time I redo my tank. The rocks I ordered came out okay but smaller, fewer than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.