Red dragon plakat spawn 10-29-13 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #31
aluka
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/96%)

I know quite a few breeders, many of them breed for show. Almost all of them keeps at least 90% of them alive if they survive the first 2 weeks.

Generally, any genetic defects that would kill them will kill them off in the first 2 weeks. A lot of times, if the fry dies after the first 2 weeks its caused by something we did, like overfeeding (swimbadder issues, extremely common issue, much better to feed often but very little than feed alot, 4-5 times a day is better than 2-3 times a day of the same amount), not enough wc, not warm enough, temperatures changing too rapidly, etc, etc.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #32
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes, I listened to the advice of many top betta breeders, on and off this forum. My first ones were actually fine the first 2 weeks. 3 weeks was when disaster struck, and they were heavily monitored for all the issues mentioned by aluka, plus some.

I was at a loss, and was actually crying and depressed because I didn't know what I was doing wrong, following expert advice. I don't think the advice was wrong, but I don't want anyone who is really trying to feel like I did- a failure. That's why I tried again-4 unrelated pairs/breedings (US and Imported fish), and got 100% success rate, and reported my experiences and what I did. (one spawn I only got 7 from 100+ because Pa decided they were delicious after a day)

I believe if I tried my method again, with another pair of unrelated fish, the results would be the same-100%, unless there is something genetically wrong, and will use it again. (I used to breed and show persian cats, and I had a pair that no matter how I tried to breed them, the kittens would be unhealthy or stillborn. It turned out both healthy cats had incompatible blood types, of all things, confirmed by 2 vets) I'm not saying to use my method or follow my advice. I live in Louisiana, and the weather/water/conditions here are different than up North, (I'm originally from PA), and have other avenues available at my disposal.

I still welcome and value advice and opinions from those that have way more experience than I. And my advice is not to throw in the towel on first attempts, if it is something you really desire.

-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
aluka
Wannabe Guru

i think you were probably hit by a bacteria infection or another fish diseases we have no control over. It happens, water is warm and clean, stuff falls in from the air, bacteria blooms. =/ things like that are usually the cause of mass fry death that are unexplained.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #34
Art by Stef*
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Anything is possible. All is fair in love and fish breeding
-Stef*
Art by Stef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:14 AM   #35
Subtletanks91
Suspended

PTrader: (36/100%)

I do water changes to get rid of pop daily or every other day. It was the initial first two weeks where I lost most of the fry. After that I had no fry loss whatso ever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Subtletanks91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #36
Suzie Q
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I don't do anything for the first 10 days except add a Red Cherry Shrimp or 2 and feed. No wc at all. After 10 days, I start dripping water in at a drop every second. Once the spawn tank is full (takes about a day or so), I drain 25% and drip again. They don't get major water changes until they are about 3 to 4 weeks old. I don't start a sponge filter until they are over 2 weeks old. You want the fry to stay at the top of the water. Water temp at 85*F or so. Cover the tank to keep humidity in. THIS was the major reason I lost a lot of fry in the first couple of weeks.

I breed and show Plakat Betta. I have HM also, but PK are my favorites
Suzie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #37
Subtletanks91
Suspended

I would add shrimp but the tank the betas are in is at around 80* so no shrimp can be put in there. Give another month and they will be big enough for the grow out tank anyways and I can tear down the spawn tank until I go for another batch in spring. These guys are getting big. There at a point where I have them eating frozen bloodworms with no trouble or fuss, frozen daphnia with spirulina as well. They get gut loaded grindal worms, micro worms blood worms and daphnia now. When they get into the big tank I will ween them onto flake food and fruit flies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #38
Subtletanks91
Suspended

I'm on month two now guys, they are all about a centimeter long if not bigger of smaller. And a few of them are showing the red fins and pearlescent white splotches!!!!! I'm exited in the next few days I will grab some more photos and upload them. Still need to get some Porte foam or something for the divider before I can take them out and put them in the grow out section of my 55. So far so good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #39
Subtletanks91
Suspended

Yes I know look at all the poo. The way I have the tank inside the tank set now the bottom is cracked open and the filter outflow runs right behind it so I don't need to siphon or do water changes now, the water flows through the opening and out the other side taking the poo out and keeping fresh water going through.

On the up side and even better now is they have started coloring up! The red on several of there fins is becoming more prominent, and all of them have the white scaling coming out. I'm super exited to see if they will all be red dragons or if some will be solid white, because there are several with only white colorstion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #40
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Keep us posted on their colors as they develop!
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 AM   #41
Subtletanks91
Suspended

That is a definite will do haha. My next breeding will be one of the male red dragons and a female mustard gas crowntail or my run of the mill blue and red finned female crowntail. I think the mustard gas will put out more of an interesting coloration IMO though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #42
aluka
Wannabe Guru

you should reconsider mixing tail types, You'll likely just end up with alot of off finned bettas with a hmpkxct. it takes many generations before you can get a good hmpkct.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #43
Subtletanks91
Suspended

I had thought about that, but the tail type and style doesn't matter to me so much. This is more for the fun of the hobby than making money to me.

Either that or I'll be getting a mustard gas female plakat from you alike! Yours are gorgoous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #44
aluka
Wannabe Guru

Oh it's not about money it's just easier to rehome them if they are not werid lol. You should!
Old 12-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #45
Subtletanks91
Suspended

Well I had a spawn from earlier this year, a ct female and a viel tail male. The female I have left from the batch is still small. I spawned in March and it's still less than two inches long and just now showing small rays forming the crown. I mean teeny tiny ct. She's adorable lol but it's taking her a long time to grow, I don't think she will get much bigger than she is now.

Or. We might be able to come upon a trade if your interested in a dragon plakat hahaha

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]