New to this whole fish keeping stuff - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FewestKitten896 View Post
Can you mix these micro fish, like have 7 chili rasbora and then 6-7 of the celestial pearl danios or is it better just to keep one species?
Yes, you could keep both of these together, however, they tend to be shy fish (especially the CPD's) and keeping one of them in larger numbers rather than both of them in smaller numbers should reduce that shyness.

I also agree you should try to find the Red Cherry Shrimp on-line. They are much cheaper and travel really well, but watch the weather. I got 25+ for $25.00, including shipping, from someone on another forum. Unfortunately, he is no longer breeding these.
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceangirl View Post
Cycling a tank takes 4-8 weeks, plus you'll want to wait a few months (3-6 months) to grow biofilm. That will feed your baby shrimp and keep them healthy. You need a Mature tank before you can add shrimp. You can add them before but they have better survival. I was a first time shrimp keeper and waited and I am glad I did!!
To keep shrimp you also need the following to start
TDS meter
Gh/kh testing (important for molting of shrimp)
Ph test
API testing kit
Shrimp food (lots of commercial foods have copper and you need shrimp specific stuff)

Then once you get the above, then you'll know whether you need:
Specialized sand or gravel to buffer
Remineralizer
special food
added nutrients
Shrimp is going to be the last thing that I will add, just something that I thought would look decent in a 10 gallon to "spice it up" a little. My cycle has only taken me just over 2 weeks but I have had help with plants and some seeding material from an established tank from the lfs. I am hoping to add fish this weekend if I can find what I am looking for locally. It has been freaking cold here lately and finally starting to warm up so maybe I will order fish.
FewestKitten896 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
amcoffeegirl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Chili rasbora and Pygmy cories are lovely. Also Dario Dario. Threadfins are beautiful creatures. And what are those blue eyed Gertrude's???? I think.
amcoffeegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #19
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

just a warning if a shrimp will fit in a fishes mouth it will be food. even if it does not fully fit in its mouth (say guppies or small tetras like neons) it will end up being food more than likely. its been know for shrimp to be ripped apart and eaten. most people who keep shrimp keep them in shrimp only tanks. if its a must to have both fish and shrimp i would start with shrimp and let their numbers build up alot then add fish since you know some will get eaten.

as for temps i know your not out of the woods yet on really cold temps, i live in N.E. oklahoma about 20 miles south of caney and also lived out by garden city and i know its cold till mid march. if you get stuff mailed to you i would wait till after the first of the year to avoid all the christmas mailing. and im sure if you really want shrimp you can find them in the swap and shop way cheaper than at your lfs. cherrys go for a buck or so now so there is no reason to pay $8 per shrimp there
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #20
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
just a warning if a shrimp will fit in a fishes mouth it will be food. even if it does not fully fit in its mouth (say guppies or small tetras like neons) it will end up being food more than likely. its been know for shrimp to be ripped apart and eaten. most people who keep shrimp keep them in shrimp only tanks. if its a must to have both fish and shrimp i would start with shrimp and let their numbers build up alot then add fish since you know some will get eaten.

as for temps i know your not out of the woods yet on really cold temps, i live in N.E. oklahoma about 20 miles south of caney and also lived out by garden city and i know its cold till mid march. if you get stuff mailed to you i would wait till after the first of the year to avoid all the christmas mailing. and im sure if you really want shrimp you can find them in the swap and shop way cheaper than at your lfs. cherrys go for a buck or so now so there is no reason to pay $8 per shrimp there
Yeah it finally started to warm up a little, was in the low teens for quite a while, but my tank just finally cycled, 3-4ppm of ammonia in less than 24 hours. I have been really interested in the idea of Chili Rasboras and Celestial Pearl Danio's as mentioned by SueD for fish if I can find them around the Kansas City area. I think I will wait on the shrimp though, I do have quite a few young plants in the tank, but I feel like it needs to fill in a lot to give the shrimp some hiding places. And need to pick up a kit to test for water hardness today.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

So what kind of food to feed these fish. I have been doing some looking and looks like New Life Spectrum and Omega one are going to be the top 2 choices. Does anyone have any preferences or does it matter between the two. If I do NLS then I have to order online as the dealers here are ridiculous in price. Omega One is common throughout most PetStores. I plan on getting fish Sunday.