Just got 29 biocube, working on stock, want leaf-fish and African butterflies
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just got 29 biocube, working on stock, want leaf-fish and African butterflies

So I officially have the best parents ever. They just gave me another 29 biocube for Christmas! For stock, I'm looking for a few small weirdoes.
My first fish that I want is a smallish leaf-fish/Ctenopoma. It needs to be something that's happy in this size bio-cube and is willing to eat frozen food for me. I'm alright if it needs a suppliment of live ghost shrimp now and then, but it needs to mostly eat frozens. What about a South American leafy? Those are supposed to be fairly small, for leafies. Will they eat frozen?
My second fish that I want is an African butterfly fish. One, or three? Would three be alright? Then I could get a variety of them from different locations so they'd have slightly different patterns and finnage.

Last edited by Betta132; 12-25-2013 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Thingy
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
SR52012
Algae Grower

I have an african leaf in my 56g with neons, mollys, and some other fish... He eats flake, dried shrimp, and when i put ghost shrimp in my tank, (2doz about every other week just to help clean it up some) he tries to catch them as well, its fun to watch! they are great fish and he likes to hid in the plants. I got mine from. a chain pet store for like $8.00. hope that helps a little.

O ya, the guy at the store said as he gets bigger (said they get like 6in or something like that) he may try to eat what ever fish that will fit in his mouth
SR52012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know they're going to try and gobble things up. I don't think one can swallow an African butterfly, those things look like a fin sprawl with eyes. Can you vouch for how hardy they are? I know they're likely to be a bit sensitive, but I don't want one that goes "Oh look, detectable nitrates. *dead*"
Old 12-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
SR52012
Algae Grower

I slack with my water changes. and i just redid my whole tank like a day or 2 before i got him and he has done fine, even got some more color since i got him from his store.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Where do you plan tog et stock from? if you are looking at the "leaf fish" Petsmart sells its miss-labeled and turns into a 6-inch-smaller-fish-noming-preditor. Their mouths are larger than they seem.
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
SR52012
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Where do you plan tog et stock from? if you are looking at the "leaf fish" Petsmart sells its miss-labeled and turns into a 6-inch-smaller-fish-noming-preditor. Their mouths are larger than they seem.
What do you mean by they sell it miss-labeled? when i bought mine from them it was called an african leaf fish.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never seen one at my local Petsmart, I'm guessing they get snatched up.
I don't yet know what species I'm looking for. Once I figure it out, there are a couple of fish stores that I'll try to get one at.
I love the South American leaf-fish, but they're supposed to be really delicate and apparently need to eat live fish. Is that true?
Can anyone suggest a species that can live in a bio-cube, eat frozen foods, and isn't extremely fragile. I understand they'll be live-caught and somewhat delicate, but I don't want a fish that's going to be really really delicate.
Would an African leaf-fish be okay in a bio-cube? They seem to stay under four inches, I think it'd have enough swimming space since they aren't very fast.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
SR52012
Algae Grower

Like I said above, mine is not delicate and he eats what ever i put in front of him... he came from petsmart eating flake food.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
AquaAurora
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR52012 View Post
What do you mean by they sell it miss-labeled? when i bought mine from them it was called an african leaf fish.
true leaf fish http://www.thepetinfo.com/wp-content...-Leaf-Fish.jpg

leopard goruami aka spotted climbing perch (what petsmart sells as an "African leaf fish") http://filepit.freewebs.com/fruitbat/cacutirostre13.jpg
AquaAurora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm wondering about the true leafs. If they're only piscivores, I'm thinking maybe I'll go for a Ctenopoma of some sort instead.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
SR52012
Algae Grower

OOOO, i did not know that! thank you for correcting my and i will remove myself from this because i thought i had a leaf fish. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #12
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking I might get a Polycentropsis abbreviata, which is an African leaf fish. Not an African spotted leafie, just African leafie. Can anyone tell me much about these? Feeding, for example? I'm okay with using feeding tongs to tempt it to eat frozen foods and I'm okay with having to feed it ghost shrimp for a week or less, but I need something that I can get to eat frozen food.
What about the true leaf fish? The really awesome ones that look exactly like leaves? Can those be coaxed into eating from tongs?
Do you suppose I could keep an African leaf and a South American leaf in the same tank? They're both gorgeous, I'd love to have them in the same tank. From what I've read, acceptable tankmates include any gouramis large enough to not be eaten. Does this also include other leaf-fish-like fish?
Is an African butterfly, an African leaf, and a South American leaf too much for a bio-cube?
Old 12-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Betta132
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, thanks for the help everyone, but I think I'm going to go for something else. Thanks for all the advice, anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.