Converting my 30g fish only..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
dirkgent001
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001

Converting my 30g fish only..

So I have a 30g tank that's been set up for over a year now. It has 1 Anubia Nana, and a bunch of plastic plants.

I want to turn it into a low tech planted tank. Mainly want to put a bunch of Anubias, some java fern and probably some christmas moss. I have a 55w light strip for the tank, and I also have a 20w light strip.

For the above planned plants and size of tank, should I use the 55w light strip, or would that be too much light? Also.. do I NEED a special substrate? I'm trying to keep it as low budget as possible. Currently it has just gravel, but there is a small amount of flourite mixed in (gravel came from a friend who had a planted tank)

Oh, I also currently have a power filter w/ biowheel for filtration.. is that going to be an issue?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.
dirkgent001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
dekstr
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

55w + 20w should be plenty enough for the anubia, moss, and java fern, they're non-light demanding plants so you might even have too much light. But it's good in case you want more plants later.

With more light, be careful of quicker algae growth, since anubia, moss and java fern are slower growing plants and won't take up nutrients as quickly as faster growing plants.

The biowheel is fine if you don't run CO2. If you run CO2, it'll gas it out. CO2 will still work, just less effectively. I never owned a biowheel, so wouldn't know for sure (just telling you what I've read before).
dekstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
dirkgent001
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to dirkgent001

thanks dekstr,

I'm only planning on using the 55w OR the 20w... wondering which would be better for the 30g tank with anubias, moss and java fern.
dirkgent001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
dekstr
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Oh okay.

I think 55w is pretty good. 20w those plants will still do ok, but won't grow fast.
dekstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Use the 55W light, the 20W isnt nearly enough. Your substrate will be fine and you could plant the Anubias in the gravel since the tank is established and has broken down mulm for nutrients to start the plant off. If I were you though I would plant the anubias in a pot and bury the pot. That way you can feed just the plant itself and you will get a nicer plant from it. Start with a small clay pot, add a little untreated potting soil , a root tab , then cap it with sand and bury it with gravel to hide pot.
This enables you to easily move it should you want to, remove it from tank to trim & clean if ever need be and accurately control the plant. Just be sure to thoroughly soak the dirt and sand before adding to the tank so that it dont "burp" on ya with a big mud cloud in your tank ! (voices from past experrience!! ) If you are planting anubias be sure not to bury the rhyzome, just the roots. You can also pot crypts, swords or just about anything. When they outgrow the pots ya just put them in a bigger one.
Your ferns and moss feed off the water column so just keep an eye on the nitrate levels (be sure there are some) and give them a little shot of liquid micro's every now and again and they will do fine.

Ya want low tech and nice plants it dont get any easier then this.

Great move to ditch the plastic plants, you have now taken the bait and will soon be hooked !