10Gs of Happiness
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Em-T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

10Gs of Happiness

Filter: 15 Gallon Hang-On-Back Filter
Light: 20" 35 watt cfl from local grow store
Heater: Submersible 10-30 gallon heater
Tank: 10 gallon tetra tank
Scape: Aquarium rock, cement ring piece, ocean rocks and beach driftwood.
Inhabitants: 2 Ghost Shrimp, several MTS, several pond snail, 6 Fathead Minnows, 3 Comet Goldfish.
Plants: Duckweed, Moneywort

So the general feel of the tank is an Urban Canal. It is my girlfriends first attempt at fish keeping, I haven't had a tank in a few years but it seems to be easy to fall back into it. There are canals all over our town so she wanted something that fit the look, so we walked the dog around the edges of a few of the canals and one of the big collection pools at the end of them. We saw a bunch of small minnows and even what looked like the feeder goldfish from petco(probably just released in the canal at one point) and most of the water by the edges had a lot of Duckweed floating on it with the normal reeds and cattails growing up the banks.

The tank started out life as a plastic bowl with snails and duckweed in it under a growlight, then it progressed into a half full 10 gallon with its own light and we added the large aquarium rock and some of those glass bead things. After the duckweed began to grow we got the moneywort and 6 Fathead Minnows and even got the guy to throw in some MTS for free. After putting the bulk of the moneywort into the hole in the aquarium rock and attaching 2 other stalks to a rock the tank had a suitable amount of plants and fish for her to be thrilled. Of course as the fatheads are tan with a dark stripe she wanted something with color, so i thought of the tan goldfish i saw in the canal and got her a silver comet to fit in with the minnows, she loved it and later on got 2 more. Another silver comet and a white one with an orange spot on its side, along with the filter and gravel and we were set.

Then she wanted shrimp. walmarts had glass shrimp as long as i can remember so i figured get 2 of them from petco and were good. But man those bamboo shrimp look so cool, but $7 is a lot for 1 shrimp when id be getting a pair. So maybe looking at a red claw crab as they stay about 1-2" although some changes may have to be made. I was also thinking crayfish instead since its a tad bit more exotic looking and seem to do better with fish that arnt slow or nosy (loaches poking around a crayfish nest).

So after we got shrimp and a heater the last thing to do was finish the rocks.
Added the curved cement piece after bleaching and boiling it to clean standards. The idea was to mimic the drain pipes in the canal by having the cave-like cement with a lot of tall wavy plants next to it, then making it thin out since the pipes create eddies that clear the silt away and make pools in front of them in the canals. Placed the 2 stalks of moneywort to the other end since theres plants along the center of the canals and placed the filter above that end to kinda replicate the faster current. Then some nice volcanic and ocean rocks for added looks and my girlfriends touch, the shell.

All in all id like to do a tank like this but with alot more planning, so any ideas on what your find in a canal on the west coast(north cali southern oregon) plant wise? Also would a crayfish do well in a sectioned off area like having a divider?

Imagine a 4" deep 6" diameter cement ring siliconed to one side with its top barley sticking out the surface for a powerhead, then build your substrate up to the pipe like a valley. Add tall plants to either side and shorter grass like plants to the central valley area. Add in bits of glass, plastic and wood to simulate debris. Maybe even a clear plastic coated metal if you wanted realism to the max. Add proper fish and BLAMM!!! Instant Urban Canal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131212_184524.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	248713  

Name:	IMG952013121295184539.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	248721  

Name:	IMG952013121295185458_0001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	248729  

Name:	IMG952013121295184555.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	248737  

Name:	1218031644.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	248745  

Name:	1218031645.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	248753  

Em-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Aplomado
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

More plants!
Aplomado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
Em-T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

YES! MORE! I agree completely it needs more plants. I wanted to see about finding some of the carnivorous grass, or maybe some frogbit. If there are any underwater flowering plants that stay small id love to get those. watching it flower would be cool, if not a small lilypad may be the way to go.

Tags
10 gallon, canal, minnow, planted, urban