Any experience with 300g rubbermaid/galvanized stock tanks?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
eklu65
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any experience with 300g rubbermaid/galvanized stock tanks?

I'm actually looking to start a "pond" for a couple smaller turtle pairs, and I was hoping to do this with a big stock tank in my new (new is a relative term) basement. I saw a brand new 300g plastic stock tank at an extremely cheap price recently, and decided to look into it a bit more. I looked online for reviews, and I kept reading about how these things will form cracks, and eventually start leaking. I then called the store to see if they still had them at the price I saw, and the guy I talked to basically flat out told me not to buy one, due to how many he has to return for that very reason. I then started looking into the galvanized steel stock tanks, and I got the impression that these actually leaked more often than the rubbermaid stock tanks.

I'm just wondering what everyone's experience is with these stock tanks, if you guys have heard of any problems with cracks or leaks, and any recommendations for something similar with fewer problems? Much appreciated!
eklu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could always put a pond liner in it and just set it up like that from the get go so no worries about leaking.

My friend has a 100 gallon plus galvanized steel stock tank under her patio and it is several yrs old, never leaked but again a pond liner would take care of your worry.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
Roshan8768
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would do a pond liner as suggested above, just in case. I've personally seen a couple of them that have been running for 5-6 years without ever leaking
Roshan8768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

My experience is with actual stock (horses, cattle) and the things seem indestructible. These are older ones, though. Perhaps that specific run of them has problems?

Ditto the pond liner, but then you have spend double the money.

Are pond liners turtle-safe? Some turtles have strong claws. If so, maybe you could make the pond outline with wood, concrete block or other shape.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
jeremy va
Planted Member

Ditto what she said (:-). Rubbermaid tanks are one of life's great bargains. My horses chew them and kick them and in winter they can have a foot of ice in them. Ten years later they are good as new. Get them from a farm coop if you can or Tractor Supply - what they sell in Lowes and HD may be the kind of junk that people recommend against but you will not go wrong with Rubbermaid. Btw, they are pretty heavy. Galvanized WILL rust -- especially if you use fertilizer.
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #6
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

I made a goldfish pond out of a rubbermaid stock tank. I got a piece of it (a circle from the middle of a hole that I cut for plumbing) and tried to destroy it. I couldn't. I put it in a vice, bent it with pliers, twisted it - tried to make it crack or break. Couldn't do it - rock solid.
They're not made out of brittle plastic, but a very dense, durable expanded foam type of material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pond.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	598.4 KB
ID:	246057  

James M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

That's a nice pond James. Is it buried or completely above ground? Do you have a journal/topic on your build?
AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks
I sunk the lower 8" or so in the ground, the rest is above ground and faced with rocks.
I have some build pics, but I didn't start a topic on it. I had to send my wife away for a weekend and knock this project out as a surprise, during the hottest 2 days of the year of course.

The upper container is planted with water hyacinth during the warmer months, and lots of water lettuce and duckweed in the main pond.
The plants are the filter - it works extraordinarily well.
I do have some lava rock in the container above where the waterfall is as well - just for grins. It helps catch particulate matter.

I filled soil around the gaps, placed rocks, planted, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	654.9 KB
ID:	246113  

Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the ideas. I love the fact that you plumbed the side of the tub instead of just running a hose out the top.

Do you have a picture of the completed waterfall area? Video?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:01 PM   #10
James M
Planted Tank Obsessed

A few more pics.
Those hyacinths were just a few, and small at the beginning of this last season. All that biomass is converted nutrients - best filters ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pond1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	685.7 KB
ID:	246265  

Name:	Pond2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	557.2 KB
ID:	246273  

Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
Mizuhuman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Wow. that is beautiful. I love how you covered it up with rocks and stuff. I would never be able to tell that it was a rubbermaid tub
Mizuhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #12
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The only filtration you are running are the plants in the pond and the lava rock/floaters in the container/waterfall?
We need a quick video of this thing running
Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #13
Legot
Planted Member

Awesome thread. I found an empty one in friend's backyard a while back, and I just saw 3 of the galvanized tanks in a horse lot that was being torn down, I may just have to see if I can buy it off them!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #14
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
A few more pics.
Those hyacinths were just a few, and small at the beginning of this last season. All that biomass is converted nutrients - best filters ever.

Wow that came out great .
Old 12-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #15
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy va View Post
Ditto what she said (:-). Rubbermaid tanks are one of life's great bargains. My horses chew them and kick them and in winter they can have a foot of ice in them. Ten years later they are good as new. Get them from a farm coop if you can or Tractor Supply - what they sell in Lowes and HD may be the kind of junk that people recommend against but you will not go wrong with Rubbermaid. Btw, they are pretty heavy. Galvanized WILL rust -- especially if you use fertilizer.

Rubbermaid hasn't cut back on quality in order to keep prices low. The prices go up but I too have Rubbermaid and rather pay more for stock tanks that laugh at the Miami sun than something cheaper which will crack.

Lady down the block has pygmy goats and has Rubbermaid over 15 years .