15 gallon tall quarantine tank pics
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-23-2003, 02:02 PM   #1
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Told you I liked the jungle look! This tank is just a quarantine/grow out tank I'm running right now with just a 15watt CF bulb and a DIY CO2 bottle. As soon as the rasboras grow large enough for my 55 gallon, I'm going to transfer a pair of Angels to this tank and see if they spawn. Need some good spawning sites. Any suggestions on broad-leaved plants for a tank this tall?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

Radicans Swordplant would work very well, although it may cut out the light for the plants under it.

This is the sword I have in my 22 Gallon on the right, it grows very tall with the broad leaves on teh end of stalks, excellent for angel spawning
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 07:28 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

My local petsmart gets some Radican Swords occasionally but they're grown emersed, and therefore have to go through the whole shedding their leaves and growing new ones process. I might give them a try, though.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Kool looking "quarantine tank " Sam ...
Old 01-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Sometimes the tanks that start off as "junk tanks" end up as happy accidents! I just throw clippings of my fastest growing plants in here from my main tank and I kinda like the look!

I have a feeling I'm going to be re-vamping my main tank soon, though. I have way too many varieties of plants. I've been browsing the index of the Aquatic Gardener's Association Awards entries and I'm feeling pretty lame after seeing tanks like this...

AGA Entry #60
Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I really like the foreground of Eleocharis parvula ... very nice...

The thing with lots of varities is you can use one variety to accent the other Sam...thats half the fun

I just cant find one plant in my tank that I could do without ! I need another tank ! :hehe:
Old 01-28-2003, 05:35 PM   #7
tyler
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to tyler Send a message via MSN to tyler

very nice growth for just 1 wpg. i like the shape of that tank too. very unique.
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 05:18 PM   #8
mitche8359
Algae Grower

Yeah nice quarantine tank.

I have the same desire of breeding angels. I have an eye on a 65g hex on eBay which seems like a great deal. I need to come up with a location in the house to put it and convince the wife that I need another tank. $175 for the tank, hood, stand, canister filter, ugf, etc. That's likely overkill for a breeder tank, but what a deal.

I have found so much info on breeding angels. Seems there are a lot of different ideas out there. Sounds like the hard part will be getting a breeding pair.

What are the dimensions on that 15 g tall?

55 g ~ 404 Fluval Canister ~ 110w 6400k photoperiod 8 hours at the end of the day
10 g quaratine/hospital
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM   #9
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

The tank is an All-Flass Aquarium 15 gallon designer edition. It's definitely a cool shape. Even cooler is the way it fits in between a few bookshelves in my study. I'll have to take some overall pictures and post them. The dimensions are 13" x 13" x 25". Not exactly a good tank for foreground plants or any low-growing plants, so I just stuffed it full of fast growing stem plants.

The growth might be a bit misleading since I grew out those plants in my 55g and added them here. They're still growing somewhat, but slowly. I've since added a second 15w bulb, though, bringing it to 2wpg.

I've got a female Angel with three males in my 55g and they've paired off and spawned a few times in there, only to wake up in the morning to find a full-bellied pleco and no eggs. They haven't spawned in almost a year, though, so there's no gaurantee they will in the 15 gal. I hope they do! I want them to raise the fry on their own so it might take a few attempts.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:02 PM   #10
mitche8359
Algae Grower

I didn't have a mated pair, but this summer I had one angel lay eggs 3-4 times in a two month period. I didn't know that angels were successfully bred, but when I saw the eggs and did some reading I started wanting to try. As soon as the tank has stabilized, I'll be getting bout five angels to pair off.

That 15 g tank should be nice for breeding angels. Bet they'll love it.

55 g ~ 404 Fluval Canister ~ 110w 6400k photoperiod 8 hours at the end of the day
10 g quaratine/hospital
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Here's the wide-angle shot showing how well it nests between the bookshelves in my study. One more thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't buy this tank - my aunt found it sitting on the curb as trash in Northern New Jersey. It didn't leak or anything. Tank, stand and canopy (with a 5w fluorescent bulb) everything was find. I'm glad she's not too proud to be a garbage digger! haha
Old 02-07-2003, 01:47 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

I'm obviously not using that canopy, though. I built one out of a piece of plywood and used small crown molding around the perimeter to hold it in place on top.
Old 02-07-2003, 09:29 PM   #13
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Stop putting up links to tanks with wild angels!!! That one earlier with the altums drove me crazy!! Altums and other wild angelfish are my absolutely favorite fish ever! I am hoping one of my LFS's gets another "batch" of wild angels in this spring so I can get some! The silvers I have are 50% wild peruvian scalares, which is what I can have since my water is sooo hard... Lol!

-Tim
Old 02-10-2003, 02:07 PM   #14
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Hahaha, the Wild Angel bug eating away at you too, Tim? There's no chance my LFS's would even know the difference between an Altum or Scalare so I won't bother. When I'm ready, I'm just going to order a half dozen Altums from Angels Plus and be done with it =)
Old 02-10-2003, 11:25 PM   #15
vince60
Algae Grower

http://www.mtnviewangels.com/breeding.htm hope this helps out , good luck
vince60 is offline   Reply With Quote