120g BML question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 12-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
angelcraze
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

120g BML question

So the footprint of my tank measures 5' by 1 1/2". The height is 26". I have not scaped the tank yet, so placement of plants and hills are undetermined and open. Basically, I do not run co2 yet (may in the future) but I was wondering if I should go with a 60" fixture w/ a dimmer, or 48" hanging fixture? I was looking for medium to high light, provided the algae doesn't get out of control (I just wanted nice reds here and there)

PS-I also have a 90g (48" long) that I was maybe one day considering switching to BML.

I just wanted an opinion on my best option.

Last edited by angelcraze; 12-13-2013 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: wrong dimension
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Cara@BML
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Angelcraze,

If you're aiming for medium light (maybe medium-high, you're right between the two), a single 60" fixture with a 90-degree beam angle should work fine, but if you want high light I definitely recommend two 60" fixtures and a dimmer. This is a very deep tank, so I'd mount any fixtures directly on the rims of the tank rather than hanging them...you're paying a premium for light, so you want to lose as little as possible.

I highly recommend running pressurized CO2 on the tank if you add two fixtures; without it you'll likely deal with algae issues from so much light.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cara
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote