300 gallons of Dyi and Frontosas :D - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazenight View Post
nice background, remember the cement could raise your ph for a while.
yes cichlids like high ph
izabella87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 05:54 AM   #17
jamntoast
Planted Member

Should be a fun tank. I like the idea of columns kind of like a city, it would be cool to see the fish swimming around them especially if you did it on a bigger scale like this
jamntoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #18
Dizzle
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by izabella87 View Post
hey.. we called movers, two big black guys fron congo democratic republic. We helped them move it, we were two more guys n me. I wasnt very useful other than helping hold from time to time put the carpets under sliding floors and handing out gloves lol.. it was from 1st floor to 1st floor very easy.
does it really matter what color their skin was? looks like you got a bit sloppy with the paint on the bottom trim of the tank. still pretty jelly though!
Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #19
Legot
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post
does it really matter what color their skin was
No, but you're clearly the only one that gives a damn.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
teddo10
Algae Grower

Nice tank! i never did african cichlids but looks as if you can make a realy nice biotope setup in there. Good luck with it.
teddo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #21
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That background looks awesome, can't wait to see the progression on your build.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Im no racist i just wanted to show how big tank is that two big men like that still needed help lifting it.

The paint on the bottom is i scraped off a bit but its on silicon so hard to get it straight.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Dizzle
Algae Grower

Quote:
i know, its a shame, but your right.

i will one day have a 200+ gallon tank. until then i can dream. looking forward to progress pictures of this beast!
Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
I thought the same exact thing, but didn't post it, but I will now. The color of their skin did not add anything. "Two big guys from Congo Democratic Republic" would have given the same meaning.
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #25
Legot
Planted Member

Well I'm not saying that the addition of the information was over the line. I'm saying that asking why it matters is just unnecessary and gives a false impression of racial sensitivity that no one asked for.

But because this is an aquarium forum... When are you going to fill this thing????
Old 12-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #26
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Well I'm not saying that the addition of the information was over the line. I'm saying that asking why it matters is just unnecessary and gives a false impression of racial sensitivity that no one asked for.

But because this is an aquarium forum... When are you going to fill this thing????
Im going to fill it in once i finish working on the background. i needed to do a second layer of cement to fix any imperfections, and tonight im doing a very slim last3rd) layer that will put on the colors. Hope it turns out well.
On the other hand I have gotten to rocks today and the sand ( a mix of white aragonite sand n play sand)
I know you are all awaiting this tank to come along n all filled up but i got yet a long way to do before i can set it up. sand needs lots of washing n so do the rocks.. wasnt easy finding rocks under 50 cm of snow... but gladly i knew a spot in the forest nearby. My bf and i dug out 100 pounds of rocks today and had to carry them back in many trips. Its a good thing to live on an island thats 3/4 covered of forest hehe.
Btw I need to level my tank.. its slighting leaning forward. How do you lift a very heavy tank like that without killing yourself in the process? i just need to lift it a few inches to equalize the ground. Please let me know. We are only two lifting it here so maybe a lever or something could make the job easier.Thought of a car jack but doesnt fit lol.. thanks all !
Old 12-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #27
denske
Crypt addiction

PTrader: (10/100%)

Man you guys are way to sensitive, great job Izabella, can't wait to see it filled!
denske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #28
canlax
Algae Grower

Subscribed!

Regarding leveling the tank - get some shims from a hardware store. Then put something on the floor between the wall and the back of the stand so it can't move any closer to the wall without tipping. Have your bf push and lift slightly towards the wall so the tank/stand can "tip" around the point you anchored with those pieces between the stand and wall. He doesn't need to physically move the tank it just relieves the front end a little bit. While that is happening you should be at the front with a hammer hitting the shims under the stand. Once you have it level, just snap or cut whatever is still exposed of the shim and voila!

My wife and I offloaded my 7ft tank from a truck into my garage just the two of us. You just have to be creative

Last edited by canlax; 12-20-2013 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: Shims under the stand, not under the tank
canlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #29
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thank you guys
We just leveled it.. At first..super smart me, tried to lift it with a squeegee stick, and it blew up on my face now i look like a beaten woman.. perfect for Christmas reunions lol... but them honey came to the rescue and lifted it with a dumbbell end. We leveled it nearly perfect.
So i guess ill fill it tonight... my frikin background looks not so pretty, i usually dont give up but it looks awful enough ill just glue one or buy a 3d one... but for the scape im looking to do, i think something blue as background will make it more authentic.
ill get back to you with fotos shortly
Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #30
izabella87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by canlax View Post
Subscribed!

Regarding leveling the tank - get some shims from a hardware store. Then put something on the floor between the wall and the back of the stand so it can't move any closer to the wall without tipping. Have your bf push and lift slightly towards the wall so the tank/stand can "tip" around the point you anchored with those pieces between the stand and wall. He doesn't need to physically move the tank it just relieves the front end a little bit. While that is happening you should be at the front with a hammer hitting the shims under the stand. Once you have it level, just snap or cut whatever is still exposed of the shim and voila!

My wife and I offloaded my 7ft tank from a truck into my garage just the two of us. You just have to be creative
You guys must be body builders ! Off to wash sand, see ya @!