My First Discus Tank Lots of photos!... Now with eggs! and a Tardis.. - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #76
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

GOOD JOB!! Dividing the tank is a good idea, now have you really thought about whether you want baby discus or not. good lord you have no idea how much work is involved with bringing up a batch of discus. you are going to go ahead and get your spare tanks ready if you have babies. maybe think of joining SimplyDiscus.com forum if you haven't already and read up.

also the floating water plant is DWL (dwarf water lettuce) it is good for soaking up nitrates, but will shade out everything if left to overtake tank as it will since it is a very fast growing plant. Keep Up the good work!!
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #77
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default My First Discus Tank Lots of photos!... Now with eggs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf3460 View Post
GOOD JOB!! Dividing the tank is a good idea, now have you really thought about whether you want baby discus or not. good lord you have no idea how much work is involved with bringing up a batch of discus. you are going to go ahead and get your spare tanks ready if you have babies. maybe think of joining SimplyDiscus.com forum if you haven't already and read up.

also the floating water plant is DWL (dwarf water lettuce) it is good for soaking up nitrates, but will shade out everything if left to overtake tank as it will since it is a very fast growing plant. Keep Up the good work!!

Thanks, yeah ideally I would have both my spare tanks running but don't have anywhere to set them Up at the moment

When it gets warmer I could maybe set them up in the garage but It was tricky enough getting the go ahead switching from the shrimp tank to this tank I have set up lol especially seeing as this tank is upstairs in my room...

I think I'm gonna make a better divider using mesh of sorts I don't think the flow is really good enough now

And I'm a member at simply discus they are very knowledgable and have learned a lot but I tend to use the forum a lot more
jameshill247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #78
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

so you are planning on them hatching and staying on that side of the divider until spring/summer??
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #79
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
so you are planning on them hatching and staying on that side of the divider until spring/summer??

Well... Not sure what's going to happen yet 1 of 2 things

1 hatch them and try to get them to a size that's big enough to release the divider and then I guess only the strongest ones would make it to a larger size again without getting eaten

Or I can see if I get any wrigglers then beg for a place to set my other tanks up! And if not then at least I know I have a pair and in spring I can work on having them in their very own breeding tank

At the moment just really testing things and seeing if they are capable of breeding
Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #80
j03yYunG
Planted Member

PTrader: (39/100%)

congrats on the eggs. I'm still waiting for mines to pair off. :/
j03yYunG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #81
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by j03yYunG View Post
congrats on the eggs. I'm still waiting for mines to pair off. :/

Thanks!

It will happen soon enough I didn't expect it to happen at all

I was focusing on getting them to a good size and giving them good food and it just happened
Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 AM   #82
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Day 2/3 of the eggs!

2 for the new set laid yesterday

3 for the set the day before

The new eggs seem to be going dark now but the first set seem to be staying lighter if not white

White eggs aren't fertilized from I understand but the dark are so hopefully it is a pair in the tank

The divider has to go it's not letting enough flow through the right side has dropped half a degree and there isn't much movement

I will be ordering some fly screen today hoping that will workl

Last edited by jameshill247; 12-12-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #83
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

You know how your yellow guy looks? I would suspect that if you try and grow any survivors out on the tiny side of the divider then release them into the whole tank once they get an inch or two, that this is what your offspring will turn out looking like, severely stunted and malnourished/unhealthy looking. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes it is better for the eggs to be removed to avoid extreme disfiguration due to inadequate grow out conditions.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #84
Mark Allred
Planted Member

James,
I applaud you! I did what you are doing,14 or so years ago! I bought a dozen baby Discus from Samson Chung, a renowned breeder from SF, Cal., and set up a 130 gallon planted CO2 injected, aquarium. I grew these fish out with my own frozen beefheart recipe. Three years? I won awards ( and prizes) in international photo contests. I won six Bing Seto Cobalt Red Discus with my Beefheart recipe, and pics of my big, fat Discus! :-) [IMG][/IMG]

Sounds great, huh? However, I was doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days, and gravel vacuuming, glass cleaning, due to the fouling from the beefheart. About 90 minutes labor. I ended up with 3 large tanks of Discus! After about 4 or 5 years, I BURNT OUT! Backed off on the WCs, and maintenance, tried feeding the Discus flake food. (I had won a 6 gallon bucket of the stuff in one of the photo contests). :-) Flake food diet will end up giving them Hole in the Head Disease. If frequent water changes are not kept up, their health will go south pretty quickly. Sold or gave away all of my aquariums, and fish. I had been keeping fish since 1969! Two years ago, my son asked me if I would like my 65 High back... now I am back in Cichlid/Planted tank Hell! Now I am doing Angelfish, Apistos, Rams, etc (3 tanks). I am doing CO2 again, wet/dry sump filtration. In a year I have NEVER vacuumed gravel, I set the tanks up for continuous water changes. I have NO algae, wipe the glass down once a week or so, swap out a filter pad about every 10 days. Very little maintenance! My 125 now... [IMG][/IMG] Maybe Discus would be easier would be easier in heavily planted tanks like I am doing now? I don't know. Sorry for the rambling... it just sounds like you are working your butt off on this. Don't get discouraged! You are getting some great advice from forum members. Try to keep the fun in it, trt to keep it simple, and don't do what I did.
Mark Allred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #85
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You know how your yellow guy looks? I would suspect that if you try and grow any survivors out on the tiny side of the divider then release them into the whole tank once they get an inch or two, that this is what your offspring will turn out looking like, severely stunted and malnourished/unhealthy looking. Not to be the bearer of bad news, but sometimes it is better for the eggs to be removed to avoid extreme disfiguration due to inadequate grow out conditions.

Took your advice and removed the divider

The eggs went fuzzy anyway so I'm just gonna focus on what I have now for the moment and when I have the facility to set the breeders up again I will do

I'm happy enough that they have grown so much from when they were stunted and are able to breed

It's a real shame that the yellow one won't grow anymore I don't want to get rid of it though

Every now and then I think about getting rid of the tetras in there and just keeping the corrys and discus

I would like to replace all the tetras with some neons but then I think I would get bored of it

I would like to add another discus cos I have 5 and would like 6 maybe a yellow one so I have a pair of each but with the tetras the tanks probably at its limit if not already over stocked
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #86
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allred View Post
James,

I applaud you! I did what you are doing,14 or so years ago! I bought a dozen baby Discus from Samson Chung, a renowned breeder from SF, Cal., and set up a 130 gallon planted CO2 injected, aquarium. I grew these fish out with my own frozen beefheart recipe. Three years? I won awards ( and prizes) in international photo contests. I won six Bing Seto Cobalt Red Discus with my Beefheart recipe, and pics of my big, fat Discus! :-) [IMG][/IMG]

Sounds great, huh? However, I was doing 50% water changes every 2 or 3 days, and gravel vacuuming, glass cleaning, due to the fouling from the beefheart. About 90 minutes labor. I ended up with 3 large tanks of Discus! After about 4 or 5 years, I BURNT OUT! Backed off on the WCs, and maintenance, tried feeding the Discus flake food. (I had won a 6 gallon bucket of the stuff in one of the photo contests). :-) Flake food diet will end up giving them Hole in the Head Disease. If frequent water changes are not kept up, their health will go south pretty quickly. Sold or gave away all of my aquariums, and fish. I had been keeping fish since 1969! Two years ago, my son asked me if I would like my 65 High back... now I am back in Cichlid/Planted tank Hell! Now I am doing Angelfish, Apistos, Rams, etc (3 tanks). I am doing CO2 again, wet/dry sump filtration. In a year I have NEVER vacuumed gravel, I set the tanks up for continuous water changes. I have NO algae, wipe the glass down once a week or so, swap out a filter pad about every 10 days. Very little maintenance! My 125 now... [IMG][/IMG] Maybe Discus would be easier would be easier in heavily planted tanks like I am doing now? I don't know. Sorry for the rambling... it just sounds like you are working your butt off on this. Don't get discouraged! You are getting some great advice from forum members. Try to keep the fun in it, trt to keep it simple, and don't do what I did.

Wow! That's a tank!

Those discus look very nice it's no surprise you won awards!

I'm trying to enjoy it as much as possible and I'm pleased with the results that feeding my home made beefheart has brought

Give discus a go again!

I'm really struggling with alage at the moment and it's off putting that each day it seems to get worse!

The one that's bad at the moment is the green slime algae... I don't like using chemicals to get rid of but I think I might have to get some of the stuff to get rid of green slime algae

I think I would like to set up a breeding tank in the future and Maybe just have 1 batch at a time

Not really interested in making profit as that's not possible on a small scale but more so about raising a batch and having none stunted this time

I know what your saying about the labour it's tricky to find time to do enough as it is

I like the sound of the constant W/C I would like to do something in the future but at the moment it's not possible with it being in my room as I can't do any of the plumbing

Thanks for the advice

Is there a journal for your tank?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #87
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Smile

Thanks!
Your beefheart recipe looks similar to my old recipe (mine actually had a little Hershey's Cocoa added ).
Beefheart is a lot of work to clean/prep! No room for Discus, I currently am focused on Angelfish, great personalities.
Good luck on the algae, haven't dealt with Cyanobacteria in years. A good cleaning, or cleanings is how I got rid of it.
I had a bunch of Black Brush Algae on some Myriophyllum in the 125 a while back,
I pulled the plant out of the tank, and misted it with Glutaraldehyde. After about 2 minutes I put it back in.
The next day the algae had turned red, the day after that it had totally disappeared! It never came back.
I haven't done any journals yet, I would like to!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #88
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allred View Post
Thanks!
Your beefheart recipe looks similar to my old recipe (mine actually had a little Hershey's Cocoa added ).
Beefheart is a lot of work to clean/prep! No room for Discus, I currently am focused on Angelfish, great personalities.
Good luck on the algae, haven't dealt with Cyanobacteria in years. A good cleaning, or cleanings is how I got rid of it.
I had a bunch of Black Brush Algae on some Myriophyllum in the 125 a while back,
I pulled the plant out of the tank, and misted it with Glutaraldehyde. After about 2 minutes I put it back in.
The next day the algae had turned red, the day after that it had totally disappeared! It never came back.
I haven't done any journals yet, I would like to!

Yeah it was definitely the cleaning and cutting of the beefheart that took the time... Gets tedious very fast!

The Green slime has really taken hold now... I thought it was bits of spinach on the bottom at first but it's not

To top it off the newer plants I have (pond weed looking one) doesn't seem to be doing well... It's meant to be an easy plant! The only plant that's doing well at all is my anubias
The new plants seem to be shedding the fine leaves and they are making a real mess! I'm hoping it's just establishing...

Not sure why the plants are doing so bad.. In my old shrimp tank the plants did sooo much better and I didn't even fert at all.. And no algae at all

When it was a shrimp tank

Then it became a Kribensis tank..

This tank was so simple to maintain... And always looked spotless

But then.... It was like 4 times smaller and full of shrimp... And i didn't get to keep discus in it

Angel fish are good and can be a good challenge to breed also

You should start a journal it's good to be able to look back at changes and problems compared to now
Old 12-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #89
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Big clean up today!

Filter sponges cleaned filter and all the mess poured out and refilled with some 'clean' tank water

50% water change and while the water was low brushed some easycarbo on the the 3D background

Scraped away as much green slime as possible and vacuumed up all the teeny tiny leaves that the plants so nicely spread round my tank.... :|

Before full tank

See that plants just don't seem to be growing!!

[URL=http://s226.photobucket.com/user/jameshill_247/media/Discus%20Tank/E8EA232E-00A9-4CA0-8A05-31FEA2C1FE87.jpg.html][/URL

Green everywhere!!

The picture of pure evil!

And after a lot of cleaning and scrubbing and pulling out plants that are doing bad

The floaters are doing well... At least that's one thing!

I think I'm gonna have to get a group of ottos and a Siamese fighter very soon!
Old 12-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #90
Mark Allred
Planted Member

Hi James,
Is that BBA on your background? Nasty!
The BGA sucks too.
My experience with planted aquariums, is plant heavy or go home.
This was my 65 about 20 months ago. Lots of algae problems, BBA, GSA, and Brown algae (diatoms), and the plants didn't do well either. The substrate probably didn't help much also.
[IMG][/IMG]

The same tank as we speak... Everything is thriving.
[IMG][/IMG]

The 125 just now, sorry for the crappy pics, and lights are in "sunset mode".

[IMG][/IMG]

The 29 gallon just now, no CO2. Growing Glosso pretty well!
[IMG][/IMG]

Using Eco Complete substrate in all these tanks,
LED lighting in all these tanks,
Doing PPS dry ferts in all tanks, dosing twice a week.
Pressurized CO2 in the 125 and 65, Gluteraldehyde in the 29.
Basically NO algae in the 125 and 29. Wipe the glass every week or two.
Green spot algae on the glass in the 65, not bad, I scrape the glass every two weeks or so. My lighting is most likely the problem here, 6 15 watt LEDs on 12 hours daily ( This tank is bright!)