Diy Duo Stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question

Diy Duo Stand

Hello all, I want to build a duo stand that can house my 40B on top and be able to put a 20 long on bottom.
I would like the finished measurements to be 48"L x 20"W x 32"H.
I want a 20 long to fit/slide right in the middle between 2 cabinet doors (one both sides).
The space on both sides of the 20 will be narrow cabinets/shelves with doors.
Also, the space that is left on the sides of the 40B is intentional for decor due to the stand being in my living room.
If possible, I'd like to use 1x4's if it will be sturdy enough.
I would like to know if anyone can help me with sketching all materials needed and if someone has a software to sketch it out better than my drawing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131124_092157 (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	239337  

Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)

Your sketch isn't bad. Your design looks fine. 1 x 4 will be OK but it does depend on construction techniques. I can build I just can't make drawings. All the furniture and media centers I've done I've built from my mind's eye and a story stick. My use of a tape measure is limited since that's about the least accurate way to go.
What type of tools are available to you? If you have a router I'd use the 1 x 4 with tongue and dado joints for all the corners. It is by nature a strong joint. Glue joints done properly are stronger than the wood.
Construction is pretty straight forward for the design you have. Basically a case with interior partitions. Put those partitions in a stopped dado and glue it up or use a face frame to hide it all.

I like to actually use a piece of the wood that I build out of for my markings on the story stick. And never forget 3/4" plywood isn't.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Your sketch isn't bad. Your design looks fine. 1 x 4 will be OK but it does depend on construction techniques. I can build I just can't make drawings. All the furniture and media centers I've done I've built from my mind's eye and a story stick. My use of a tape measure is limited since that's about the least accurate way to go.
What type of tools are available to you? If you have a router I'd use the 1 x 4 with tongue and dado joints for all the corners. It is by nature a strong joint. Glue joints done properly are stronger than the wood.
Construction is pretty straight forward for the design you have. Basically a case with interior partitions. Put those partitions in a stopped dado and glue it up or use a face frame to hide it all.

I like to actually use a piece of the wood that I build out of for my markings on the story stick. And never forget 3/4" plywood isn't.
I don't have router. I tried designing this as a straightforward boxy so I wouldn't need special tools. I had thought about using meatal brackets for a lil reinforcement but I am unsure. All help welcomed
Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

As long as you have the corners of the tank directly supported, 1x4 would be plenty strong.

I'm partial to using 2x3s and 2x4s, mainly because there is just a lot more room to hold screws and such (and they are pretty cheap).

I'd avoid the metal brackets. If it helps at all, try thinking to build in such a way that screws are almost unnecessary - they just hold the wood together, and don't support any weight themselves. Not sure if that makes any sense at all.

For shelves and such, it's pretty easy to do a simple dado with a circular saw - just set the dept of the blade so it only goes ~1/2 through the wood or so, and set up some other boards as guides on either side of the blade, and just make several passes through, and chisel out what's left. I've only done this with 2xwhatevers, but I imagine you could do it with a 1x4, it would just take more care.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Lochaber, metal brackets are just fine. You are not going to pull out the fastener like you would with 2 pieces of wood held by a screw or nail. Those brackets hold. And hold well. Realize that the fastener is not going into any end grain. All face or edge. If you screw a 2 x 4 horizontal member to a vertical and jump on it it will separate. Not going to happen with a metal bracket. All has to do with where the stress is. There's a reason those brackets are code in building. There is no way a standard nailed joint will ever be as strong as a joint using the metal with the correct nail. You just have to like the look if you use it in a stand or cover them up.
Old 11-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

GraphicGr8s>

Good point, I hadn't even considered construction-style metal braces. (despite there being a couple DIY stand threads focusing on them... :/ )

I was thinking those simple bent metal ones for small projects and stuff.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #7
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Oh heck those are worthless. Leverage is against the fastener in all cases with those pieces of crap.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:58 AM   #8
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone have the software that they can input all the measurements and it will show up in a color graph and tell me my exact material needed? I really wood like that-that way I can have everything cut at one time
Old 11-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

I can't really help with the software, I just use a bunch of graph paper planning things, and then just end up measuring and cutting as I build.

If you need two(or more) pieces of wood to match, the easiest thing to do is to just cut them together - like line up 2-4 2x4s or whatever, but the ends up against a wall or something, and then cut across all of them. much easier, and more accurate then measuring and cutting each one individually.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Update

Yay! Fiance' took me to HD to price all the materials needed for me to make my stand and surprised me with this gift card! I am so excited that I don't know where to begin....thank you hunny!

I almost forgot, he also surprised me and bought me 4 Sterbai Corydoras too! Love you babe!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131214_221316.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	246497  

Last edited by Aqualady; 12-15-2013 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: Add other gift
Old 12-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are a couple of pics of the structure before the coverings, stain, doors, etc...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131217_021004.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	247993  

Name:	20131217_121736.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	248001  

Old 12-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #12
GraphicGr8s
Pixel Prestidigitator

Looks fine so far.
Please tell me that's not pressure treated wood.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:25 AM   #13
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Structure looks pretty solid.

Put some sort of sheathing or diagonal bracing on it to give more resistance to racking, and that will hold a truck.

but yeah, looks good so far.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Structure looks pretty solid.

Put some sort of sheathing or diagonal bracing on it to give more resistance to racking, and that will hold a truck.

but yeah, looks good so far.
Is sheathing something like plywood? If so, thats what I have done, just haven't post pics of that part yet. I think I should place a support bar across the middle or you think I am okay? Thanks for the compliment!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:20 PM   #15
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, a sheet of plywood (even pretty thin stuff) would give a lot of strength/resistance to racking/twisting/etc.

I don't think there would be much point in a middle support. As long as the area under the rim is supported, you're set. If you really want to put in a middle support for some reason, it wouldn't really hurt anything, but I don't think there is any benefit either.

A lot of people (myself included) often don't realize how strong wood can be, if it's constructed in a solid manner. 2x4s can support a ridiculous amount of weight.