combining cerges and rex griggs co2 reactors. hooked up, leak testing now - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
I'm slightly confused, Is this just a larger version of the cerges reactor? Don't they all have co2 starting at the top swishing around and then going down to a pipe on the bottom? Nice build by the way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
I was thinking the same thing as pianofish, how is this different other than being longer?

I'd be curious to see how much gas collects overtime at the top.
it technically is a larger version of the cerges, except it's built w/ PVC. I believe the cerges style is really just a "take a home water filtration unit like this, stick some pvc here, and drill a hole to add co2"

so that is where it is different. that is why it's a combination of the rex griggs "build it with PVC piping" and the cerges "use a home filter unit"

it's a "I had better luck with my cerges style than I have with the rex griggs style in the past, but the cerges is way too small so lets combine the ideas" kind of project. the trick was changing the rex griggs style to incorporate what makes the cerges style so awesome, the additional distance the water and co2 have to go. I toyed with the thought of coiling vinyl tubing from the top to the bottom as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the co2 is already filling up the 4" to 2" reducer. I had a nice steady dripping leak at that join that I couldn't stop... except now it has stopped leaking.

It's working great though, and sitting in a 5g bucket to catch leaking water. I think mk II will use the cut off from the 4" pipe, which is a little less than 2' long. The current section of 4" being used is 3', giving me a total height of 4'. I'd like to shove this thing under the tank stand to get it out of the way.

I also want to give a smaller scale version a shot for my 20g. maybe going from 2" to 1/2" piping or 3" to 3/4". but I already have a cerges that works so damn well for that tank.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Yeah, I used a larger water unit (GXWH40L)for my cerges and the CO2 enters through a needle wheel pump (Mag 9.5). I used PVC to the unit and inside I used flexible hose that could be wound up inside the filter chamber to increase residence time to allow the CO2 to dissolve.

You could connect the end of the 1" pipe inside to a flexible tube and wind the flexible tube around the 1" pipe into a tight coil. Connect the other end to your current entrance and seal. This would increase your residence time and prevent gas from building up.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #33
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

that'd be an interesting addition. though part of the appeal of this is that the co2 bubbles have time to fight against the flow and get broken up. changing to wrapping tubing up would require adding the co2 inlet to within the water inlet.

it'd also make 4" pvc somewhat redundant since it would effectively be dry inside. another option may be doing something similar with a bucket to allow the tubing to keep some shape. hell, you could probably just zip tie the tubing together.

that is certainly an interesting idea and potentially very simply to implement. at that rate, since all we're doing is introducing a coil of tubing to increase the amount of time the co2 and water are in contact before exiting into the tank, i'd probably just clip the co2 tube to the inlet of the sump pump to allow that to further break the co2 up before sending it on it's way.