Suggestions for a 3gal?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Kittielovesmikal
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Suggestions for a 3gal?

Hi, I'm pretty new to this, but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for a round 3gallon aquarium. I have a crowntail betta male, with aquarium gravel, and some plants. I don't know the name, but I'll attach a picture:

As you can see, it's pretty sparse. Since I plan to set up a bigger tank for him eventually, I wasn't really thinking of spending too much. Does anyone have any ideas for Scruffy?
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Well you could put in some medium size natural river rocks piled up in the center in there for him as deco. Maybe a small piece of driftwood would be nice as well on the middle with the rocks surrounding it.
250 gallon Community Black Bar Red hooks/Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roselines/ Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Carson73

If you wanted to get some more plants (i.e. Java Moss, Anubis, or more leafy plants then I would definitely go with Red Cherry Shrimp. They will most likely establish a small colony in there, so that way if the Betta decides to have a snack, then it wont effect the numbers much. Just remember, lots and lots of plants.
Carson73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

Those look like crypts to me. They'll spread if you give them enough light and make them happy.
There are certain branches that are long and skinny, one of those might look good. I've discovered that bettas seem to love big old hunks of loose Java moss that they can dive into, and some Java fern should do pretty well. Anubias of some sort might also be nice, if you have a decent amount of light from the room or a window.
There are some pretty nerite snails like the olive, the horned, and the sun-spike nerites, you could add a few of those. They might end up needing algae wafers in place of the algae if it runs out, but I think you'd like a few. Plus, there's almost no way in the world that a betta could hurt them, even if they were actually interested in the snails.
Betta132 is offline   Reply With Quote