apistogramma in brooklyn, searching - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 12-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
pescophile
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello all. I picked up a pair of cacatouides, triple red, one male and looks like another pseudo female(@brooklyn zoo).
Will post pics soon, as they are getting used to the water parameters.
Thanks for the update on Pacific's stock. I haven't been as of yet, hope to soon.
MR.L, have you been to the brooklyn aquarium society's meetings? I heard they have a whole bunch of stuff.
pescophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet View Post
Went to Pacific today & was surprised to see that they still had some agassizii in stock. All of them seemed to be females, but then again I thought that the male in the photo was a female at first. He didn't start to male up until I separated him from the dominant male. Apistos are almost impossible to find in this area. Brooklyn Zoo occasionally carries cacutoides & agassizii "fire red", & once they had some awesome panduro. Absolutely Fish in Clifton regularly stocks apistos, but they usually go for 40 or 50 dollars a pair. Aquabid sometimes lists home bred S.A. dwarfs, but lately all they have are rams.
I bought a pair of Macmasteri's from Absolutely fish in clifton nj. They were $50 for the pair, they only sell pairs. I'm happy to say within 2 weeks they spawned together so are now a proven pair.

Pacific carried only male agassizi when I went a few months back. Maybe I'm wrong but Limpet you say they only had females? They told me they typically only receive groups of males since they are more colorful. I think a few females get mixed in but so small it's hard to decipher.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftymeatballs View Post
I bought a pair of Macmasteri's from Absolutely fish in clifton nj. They were $50 for the pair, they only sell pairs. I'm happy to say within 2 weeks they spawned together so are now a proven pair.

Pacific carried only male agassizi when I went a few months back. They told me they typically only receive groups of males since they are more colorful. I think a few females get mixed in but so small it's hard to decipher.
Do they ship? I have a couple males and need females
Old 12-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooedfool83 View Post
Do they ship? I have a couple males and need females

Hopefully the next spawn I will have some females for you. I'm not sure they ship but they don't carry just females in store, only pairs. Maybe you can special order.

I think my fry not surviving was my fault because the babies did not get enough to eat. I was crushing up flake and pellets, adding water and squirting the food by the fry. What do you guys do for food? Live brine shrimp?
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
tattooedfool83
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Hopefully the next spawn I will have some females for you. I'm not sure they ship but they don't carry just females in store, only pairs. Maybe you can special order.

I think my fry not surviving was my fault because the babies did not get enough to eat. I was crushing up flake and pellets, adding water and squirting the food by the fry. What do you guys do for food? Live brine shrimp?
I feed my cac fry live grindal worms which are perfect for new fry and then I feed decapusalted brine shrimp, works great for the first couple days then they devour the grindal worms. My 3 week old fry are huge!
Old 12-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

As of last Thursday Pacific had some female A. agassizii, probably what's left from the batch they got in in the beginning of September. I bought three then; thought I was getting a trio but ended up with a reverse trio. I picked up a definite female Thursday, showing a lot of yellow.

Th Brooklyn Aquarium Society usually has some amazing fish at their auctions, but as long as I've been going, around six years, I think I've seen apistogrammas once. They've had Nannacara anomala, Laetacaras curviceps & dorsigera, & some nice West African dwarfs (Enigmatochromis lucanusi, Pelvivachromis taeniatus, Anomalochromis thomasi. Members also get a 10% or 15% discount from Brooklyn Zoo & various other LFS around the area.
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
pescophile
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default keeping fry alive.

Quote:

Hey meat. I had similiar problems with my convicts. I use the hikari first foods. However, I think that regular feeding changes the water parameters quickly, so a good filtration and biological filter are essential(and more frequent WCs, 10%, careful not to set your tank into a quick re-cycling, also a larger tank is less sensitive to these changes depending upon your bio-load to tank ratio).Any other opinions?

Last edited by pescophile; 12-15-2013 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: added info
pescophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #23
midlife_hobbyist
Planted Member

Fish Hut in Saddle Brook, NJ get in Apistos occasionally. I am on their FB feed but you could also call them...they last got some on 11/2. They were priced comparably to Absolutely Fish's prices although I didn't actually see the sizes of them...

Or if you're up for a drive on a Saturday, try Atlantis fish hatchery upstate NY. Again, I haven't been there but they stock Apisto's & sell on AB fairly frequently (just not right now)
midlife_hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.