adhering rock to plastic
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

adhering rock to plastic

I'm having a hard time finding a product that will strongly adhere plastic to rock for an aquarium decoration I'm working on... Silicone and super glue seem to be popular adhesives for aquariums, but I've read that silicone doesn't adhere to plastic, and super glue just doesn't sound like it would be strong enough (thinking basketball size decor).
Any ideas?
Qwe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Bushkill
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

At the size of a basketball, I think adhesives of any sort would be risky.

On the SW side of the hobby where the aquascaping is often done with very large, very heavy pieces of live or dead rock the individual pieces are usually drilled and an acrylic rod is run through the adjoining pieces. In this manner, you could stack two basketballs on top of each other, figuratively speaking.

You could also achieve some measure of success with a combination of epoxy and super glue gel. The epoxy, becomes nothing more than a surface that will exactly follow the contours of two irregular surfaces, and allow a coating of superglue gel applied to both sides of the epoxy to be effective. Think of it as a sandwich where the epoxy is the bologna and the superglue is the wonder bread, lol! The downside here is that pieces would need just a bit of time for the glue to set up and holding something that large may or may not be easy.

I'm sure there will be more suggestions here.
Bushkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

If things are likely to float like wood or foam, I never like to trust adhesives. They can turn loose suddenly and the item go shooting to the top and crash glass tops or lights. For a sure grip on odd shaped things, I go for plastic ties like used for electrical work. They are cheap, come in lots of sizes and can be added together to go around or through almost any size or shape. Non toxic and last nearly forever.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
sdrober1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For an adhesive that sticks to anything, I use Amazing Goop. They carry it at Home Depot and Lowe's usually. I found it when I was looking for something that would stick to soda bottle lids. At one time, this was the only readily available product that would do it. It's a really thick gel and needs to set up, but it's strong and sticks to almost anything.
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_a...es_epoxies.htm
sdrober1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great suggestions, thanks! Might end up going with a combination of them...
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

I'm with Bushkill and PlantedRich, if you can manage it, I'd rather go with a mechanical fastener. If you have a cordless drill, you can do wonderful things with a basic masonry bit and some patience/effort. Also most hardware stores carry nylon fasteners - I personally use them to attach driftwood to slate. Either drill through and use a nylon nut, or drill into and tap (I had a tap (and paired drill bit) that seems to work well enough for this) the hole, and then screw directly into wood. The tap method wouldn't work for most rocks (maybe limestone, possibly slate, but you wouldn't want to try it with a tap you planned on ever using again...)

Also, what type of plastic are you dealing with? that matters quite a bit in terms of what you can do with it/what you can get to adhere to it.

I probably tend to overdo this a bit, but I'm prone to recommending epoxy for an adhesive. -It's inert, it sticks to almost anything, its strong as hell, easy to come by, and generally easy to use.

Also, I believe gorilla glue is aquarium safe once cured (some of the dendroboard folk use it to make backgrounds and such), so that might be another option. best with porous materials, and won't stick to some plastics...

Last edited by lochaber; 12-13-2013 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: forgot the gorilla glue...
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Qwe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is what I'm going for. May use a different rock, but that's the plastic piece. As per your guys' advice, I'm leaning towards drilling some holes along the bottom of the container and using something to tie it to the rock. I can then use epoxy or something around the edges to help keep it down and make sure the rat can't escape into the aquarium jk...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.