New tank questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
jcap26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

New tank questions

I have a 10 gallon but am wanting to upgrade to a larger tank. I'm thinking a 29 gallon is the way to go next because I want to attempt to aquascape a little. I've been looking at this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=23554 kit for my next tank but have a few questions. Are the lights strong enough to keep plants? The plants I have in mind for the tank are dwarf baby tears, anubias nana, java fern, java moss, and maybe some others, not fully decided yet. Any suggestions would be great.
jcap26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Light is not strong enough to grow dwarf baby tears. And I don't even think that light good for growing plants.
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
jcap26
Algae Grower

Ok that's what i figured but I thought it might be good to ask just to be sure, are there any kits that you would recommend for a 29 gallon or specific types of lighting?
Old 12-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

I bought the 29gal kit but in the end, I had to replace the filter (Topfin brand), sold the light hood. If I have to do it again, I will buy them seperately.
Look for a good condition 29gal tank on Craiglist or buy new at Petco (if they have 1$/gal sale)
Buy a Fluval C3 (or C4) HOB filter or canister filter
For lighting, I used to have 2 fixtures on my tank (4 bulbs total: 2xT5 and 2xT5HO) and the plants was doing great. Then I took the T5 fixture out, the plants are still doing just fine but the grow is slower. FYI, my T5HO fixture is from Current extreme Nova (2x24w 10000K T5HO bulbs)
I also have pressured CO2 system which I know is neccessary if you want to grow dwarf baby tears.
Don't forget to buy other stuff: heater, thermometer...etc if you think needed

Pix of my tank last year:
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
jcap26
Algae Grower

That's a beautiful tank! I've been checking craigslist but I can't find anything for less than $150, and I saw that kits were sometimes less than that, I think I found someone who will sell me a 29 gallon, light, heater, and filter for $100, I'm just waiting to find out some more specifics about it.

Tags
29 gallon, marineland, planted, suggestions, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.