Sneak peak at the new plant light! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
Hopefully I'm speaking for everyone when I say we really appreciate your willingness to have the dialogue and be a active in the community. I'm keeping my Satellite + and I'll keep my fingers crossed for a timer from you that will allow me to do what I am trying to do.

Please please please pass our feedback along to your product devs and engineers. I think everyone who is looking at a 4LED light is going to want the ability to set a timer to turn their lights on in the morning (at any color temperature they choose), fade the lights to moonlight in the evening, and potentially fade to off for latenight before fading back on the next morning.

As a use-case. my T5HO before this had a separate power cable for the moonlights so I could put them on separate timer schedules. Now that I have replaced it with the Satellite+ I have stopped using the timers so I can enjoy the moonlights in the evening and my lighting schedule is totally irregular now based on when I leave for and return home from work.

In the meantime I'll try to figure out if I'm savvy enough to work with an arduino or can pay someone to sell me a pre-made intelligent timer.
Your guys's feedback is definitely very important.

" I think everyone who is looking at a 4LED light is going to want the ability to set a timer to turn their lights on in the morning (at any color temperature they choose), fade the lights to moonlight in the evening, and potentially fade to off for latenight before fading back on the next morning."

The ramp timer pro will do this. As long as the LEDs are on max intensity (so they don't flicker)
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #32
U2Kent
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
The product dev guys got back to me with this:

3. Our goals for every product is to make it simple and easy to use with functionality at a affordable price. There will always be room for improvement for more. We could do it, but we always have to ask ourselves, can we do it affordably and not sacrifice user experience.
fair enough... if a 27 page thread where people are coming up with DIY ideas for how to make this work on a budget w/ an arduino aren't enough indication of a demand I don't know what is though

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391265
__________________
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #33
majerah1
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
majerah1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Easley,SC
Posts: 324
Default

One reason I went with this fixture was I thought the ramp timer was able to fade to moonlight... Current, I do hope very soon you can make the timer do like the arduino because that is one of my main purchasing reasons. Im not savvy enough to DIY.

I would be willing to pay someone to build me one, FYI. I am pretty sure your devs could fix a sleek one up for us
__________________

Eheim Pimp #475
majerah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #34
U2Kent
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Your guys's feedback is definitely very important.

" I think everyone who is looking at a 4LED light is going to want the ability to set a timer to turn their lights on in the morning (at any color temperature they choose), fade the lights to moonlight in the evening, and potentially fade to off for latenight before fading back on the next morning."

The ramp timer pro will do this. As long as the LEDs are on max intensity (so they don't flicker)
It will do this for a single light? From what you had said earlier it sounded like this was only able to be accomplished by using two lights each on a different channel. If it can do this with a single Satellite Freshwater LED+ then I'd love to see a video of it in action.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #35
cowfish007
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York (Long Island)
Posts: 78
Default

Any solid release date or pricing info as of yet? Since this fixture is arranged as one row of lights, will 2 fixtures be needed for an "even spread" on a 75g (18" front to back)?
cowfish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #36
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
fair enough... if a 27 page thread where people are coming up with DIY ideas for how to make this work on a budget w/ an arduino aren't enough indication of a demand I don't know what is though

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391265
I'm all for what you're saying and I've made this point as well but keep in mind Current's market isn't just all us. It's also the typical entry level aquarists. Not sure if you've seen how many buttons are on the ramp timer pro's remote already but as you would imagine, adding more functions means more buttons. With a product like that, it would only be purchased by guys like us unless we can get rid of some buttons and make it easier to use (we're working on it).

For arduino control, I'm not too familiar with it but from product dev guys, I hear if we manufactured something like that, by the time it gets to you it could cost $150+ VERY easily. That's as much as or more than the light. So when I was referring to demand for a product in that price range. It's not very affordable to Current's customers. We want to focus on making the very best lights instead of light controllers. We would rather neptune, ecotech or aqua illumination do that because that's the market they focus on.

We're sort of the merge between those markets. Sorry to keep you stuck in the middle! Maybe if we grow the hobby more, Neptune will start caring for us freshwater guys.
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #37
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerah1 View Post
One reason I went with this fixture was I thought the ramp timer was able to fade to moonlight... Current, I do hope very soon you can make the timer do like the arduino because that is one of my main purchasing reasons. Im not savvy enough to DIY.

I would be willing to pay someone to build me one, FYI. I am pretty sure your devs could fix a sleek one up for us
Hey Majerah,

It does to a certain extent. The moonlight function is just the dimmed whites and RGBs. Our customers have already started to use the 10% intensity as moonlight and they love it.
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfish007 View Post
Any solid release date or pricing info as of yet? Since this fixture is arranged as one row of lights, will 2 fixtures be needed for an "even spread" on a 75g (18" front to back)?
Hey cowfish, I'm sort of scared to release any information now. I might've made the mistake of giving up information without clarification with the ramp timers leading to members being misled to thinking other things. I want to avoid that this time around.

But to answer the VERY last question about this light, 1 fixture is growing plants like no tomorrow in our 55 long. 75 gallon shouldn't be an issue. There will also be a hanging kit sold separately in case you want more spread.
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #39
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
It will do this for a single light? From what you had said earlier it sounded like this was only able to be accomplished by using two lights each on a different channel. If it can do this with a single Satellite Freshwater LED+ then I'd love to see a video of it in action.
Yes. One plug for one light. I'll try my best to do a video on my phone just for you guys but it works like I said it would. Just without the programmed lightning and cloud cover people were expecting.
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #40
U2Kent
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Yes. One plug for one light. I'll try my best to do a video on my phone just for you guys but it works like I said it would. Just without the programmed lightning and cloud cover people were expecting.
the same thing could be accomplished by putting the RGB & White LED's on separate power cords, at least that way we could use two separate timers (ramp or no-ramp) and the remote would still work. Not sure how tricky that would make the circuitry for controlling it with a remote though.

I gave up and just put mine on a standard timer so now I don't get moonlights at all at night... kind of a bummer but I was getting tired of fighting algae because of the nights I'd get home from work late and have the light on for 10+ hours.
U2Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #41
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Texan78's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
the same thing could be accomplished by putting the RGB & White LED's on separate power cords
It can be done easily now without the hassle of extra cords.

This fixture is pretty much worthless with all the bells and whistles without any kind of automation. I have given up on it and just use it for moonlight in the evenings when my BML's go off for the day.


They are just another company catering to the needs of reefers and throwing scraps to the freshwater community.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #42
majerah1
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
majerah1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Easley,SC
Posts: 324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Current USA View Post
Hey Majerah,

It does to a certain extent. The moonlight function is just the dimmed whites and RGBs. Our customers have already started to use the 10% intensity as moonlight and they love it.
My remote must be messed up then because I cannot get the lights to fade down by they arrow buttons. I have to use the pre set ones. Meh still I am pretty happy with the light.

Curious if the newer dual timer will work with the LED + or is it designed for the other fixtures instead?
__________________

Eheim Pimp #475
majerah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #43
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Kent View Post
the same thing could be accomplished by putting the RGB & White LED's on separate power cords, at least that way we could use two separate timers (ramp or no-ramp) and the remote would still work. Not sure how tricky that would make the circuitry for controlling it with a remote though.

I gave up and just put mine on a standard timer so now I don't get moonlights at all at night... kind of a bummer but I was getting tired of fighting algae because of the nights I'd get home from work late and have the light on for 10+ hours.
From my understanding, RGB (red, green, blue) are on separate channels so to control the colors individually (like cloud cover and dynamic mode) you would need 4 channel control. Neptune is only able to operate 2 channels which is why their controllers aren't compatible.

As for the 2 separate power chords for the Satellite, that's a great idea. When we built the Satellite 2 years ago, it was just hard to predict what people wanted. I definitely get the team to look into it though!

Again, if you use the ramp timer pro, you get have moonlighting with the minimum intensity function. =)
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
It can be done easily now without the hassle of extra cords.

This fixture is pretty much worthless with all the bells and whistles without any kind of automation. I have given up on it and just use it for moonlight in the evenings when my BML's go off for the day.


They are just another company catering to the needs of reefers and throwing scraps to the freshwater community.
I'm sorry you feel that way. As I've promised before the timer's come out and have reiterated, the timer does do moonlight with minimum intensity function.

Current USA has taken pretty significant steps in moving towards freshwater. We've spent a year on developing the Satellite Plus purely for freshwater and all of this past year pushing it as well as working on a compatible timer for it. As a result, we got most of our sales from freshwater hobbyists in this past year. We have literally 6 prototypes sitting in front of me right now all tailored for freshwater.

I would say it's a bit unfair to claim Current doesn't care about the freshwater market because we haven't nailed a timer that meets ALL your expectations in less than a year while running the rest of the company. At the end of the day, who's doing what we are for the freshwater market?

I'm all for freshwater. I worked for AFA, and have been working on freshwater planted tanks for years now and the only reason why I joined Current is because they're one of the only companies in the aquarium market with a mind open enough to explore new markets and come up with great affordable products.
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #45
Current USA
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vista CA
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by majerah1 View Post
My remote must be messed up then because I cannot get the lights to fade down by they arrow buttons. I have to use the pre set ones. Meh still I am pretty happy with the light.

Curious if the newer dual timer will work with the LED + or is it designed for the other fixtures instead?
Simply fill in a warranty form on current-usa.com and we'll ship you a new one. =)

I'm curious to what you mean by "designed" for other fixtures. What additional functions are you looking for?
__________________
Visit our site at: http://www.current-usa.com/

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012