Upstate New York/ Southern Tier
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-26-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
irishchickadee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Upstate New York/ Southern Tier

Hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for LFS in the Southern Tier/ Upstate NY area (Binghamton, Endwell, Ithaca, Oneonta, Syracuse) Just lost a really good shop due to the floods that hit Binghamton so trying to find a few replacement stores.
irishchickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #2
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Elmira has two LFS.
Tropical fish outlet, which is all fish and are very nice and will order in products if they dont have them.
City Zoo which is a pet shop but have a decent fish section as well.

Fortunatly they are on the same road only a few blocks from each other.

What shop closed? I had just visited J and J's two days before the flood and really liked their selection of fish there.

Hope this helps i havent searched out shops in ithaca yet but plan to soon!
xjasminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
irishchickadee
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjasminex View Post
Elmira has two LFS.
Tropical fish outlet, which is all fish and are very nice and will order in products if they dont have them.
City Zoo which is a pet shop but have a decent fish section as well.

Fortunatly they are on the same road only a few blocks from each other.

What shop closed? I had just visited J and J's two days before the flood and really liked their selection of fish there.

Hope this helps i havent searched out shops in ithaca yet but plan to soon!
It is J and J's that is closing. Currently selling off their remaining merchindise, I don't believe they have anymore fish now but worth checking.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
gabysapha
Planted Member

I'm so happy to see that there are aquarists in my area!

I'm in Ithaca, and as far as I know there is only Petsmart and Pampered Pets (in Ithaca Mall).
Petsmart is well-maintained, at least compared to what I have seen in the city. A lady that works there told me about an LFS in Binghamton that was really nice. What a shame for an LFS to be lost to flooding!

Pampered Pets is ugly, but it's the only place around that will order fish from a supplier. I recently ordered Pearl Gouramis and I just asked them today to find me some Sparkling Gouramis. They didn't call me when the Pearls arrived, so I had to re-acclimate them one died. AND their return policy is only 4 days!! Not enough time at all!
So, I don't recommend Pampered Pets but it is the best place we have. And the plants there are not pretty. Basically, it's a grungy place. But they do stock oddballs that I can't afford to buy. They are much better at selling birds and mammals.

If there are any other places in Ithaca I would love to know! But all my google searches only come up with Pampered Pets.

I almost ordered kuhli loaches from an Aquabid seller, until he told me he is in Elmira! He offered to deliver the fish to me too, and it seemed like he had a good selection. I'm not sure what the name of his store is, but he seemed nice. If I had a car I would check out Elmira!
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
AquaStudent
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

One of my best friends is from Elmira and says that his dad uses the Tropical Fish outlet for their SW tank.

All I know is that anything is better than what we have in Alfred. Hornel has Walmart and a very shoddy lfs.

Anyway like I said the two in Elmira are your best bet from what I've heard.
AquaStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #6
irishchickadee
Algae Grower

Good to know on the Elmira stores, my friend and I are always looking for new places to shop. Maybe we will take a trip out there one of these days.

I myself am familiar with the fish store/lack thereof in Ithaca, I've been traveling up there the past month for work and not much stood out, it's unfortunate since I was already in the area for work and could have easily purchased some after my shift.

I also heard Syracuse Aquarium is a good place to shop for both fish and plants, although haven't been there myself... yet.
The Fraternity of Dirt #46

Come to the dirt side... we have cookies!!

My Collection of Low-Tech Dirt Tanks
Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
RukoTheWonderDog
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)

Rochester has a great LFS called ABC Pet City, and then a few others that are 'eh' and not really worth mentioning if you are ever up this way.

I have heard excellent things about http://www.syracuseaquarium.com/ as well as Petland in Cicero http://stores.petland.com/findpetlan...e/Syracuse.htm

I cannot vouch for either of these stores as I have yet to go there myself, but both locations have been given the thumbs up by more than one person here, including an employee of on my local LFS here in Roc.
RukoTheWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
gabysapha
Planted Member

I just want to add that I've heard VERY good things about a place called Country Max in Cortland. They apparently have very nice fish as well as good prices. They also cater to stable needs and birds and herps...
Old 02-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
gabysapha
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha View Post
I just want to add that I've heard VERY good things about a place called Country Max in Cortland. They apparently have very nice fish as well as good prices. They also cater to stable needs and birds and herps...
I will say that I went to Country Max, and they have great stock! Long fin albino BNPS, german blue rams, golden rams, ballroom german blue rams, bolivian rams. I never thought I would see rams sold in an LFS! I was impressed!
Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
ctaylor3737
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

Know its kinda old but this store is located in Central NY area by Syracuse. I have been going there for awhile and he is the best in the area. http://www.syracuseaquarium.com/

There is also the one in Fairmont that has alot of tanks. The service there is not that great so I always go to Jamesville.

Edit:

I have found an even better store in the area. http://abcreefs.com/ The first store is more for your saltwater needs, ABC Reef II is more for your freshwater, they carry all kinds of plants, discus, shrimp and hard to find fish such as albino bushy nosed pleco. Just to give you an idea, they will also order anything that you want and will handpick fish at thier distributer if you ask them to.

Last edited by ctaylor3737; 01-23-2014 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: Update
ctaylor3737 is offline   Reply With Quote