Native plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 02-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Native plants

Some native hornwort was available at the MAAH auction last weekend along with the comment that it doesn't drop leaves as quickly and is slightly greener than normal hornwort. Anyone tried this? Any other Wisconsin aquatic plants that are nice in aquaria? Collection regulations?
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
seanski21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I don't know about Wisconsin specifically but ludwigia repens is found all over the US and jungle val is found in some of the great lakes...
seanski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

There seems to be val that grows like crazy around here, but I don't really need any for my tanks!
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

fissidens fontanus is native
GOJIRADOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Val grows around here I have also found Cabomba caroliniana.

The only thing I would suggest is finding a way to disinfect the plants. I added some to a tank that I pulled locally, and a month later I had tons of dragonflies in the basement.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
Orangespotted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I agree, the native hornwort doesn't seem to drop leaves nearly as much as what you find in aquarium shops. I guess I didn't really think about it until now, but back when I had the tropical kind, cleaning up the shed leaves was an absolute chore and they always were floating around everywhere and stuck to the filter... Now, the native stuff hardly ever loses ones unless I accidentally snap them by grabbing them too hard or something.

Something even stranger I noticed: the bottom parts poked into the gravel didn't wilt and rot into a nasty mush like the tropical kind did, rather, the leaves sort of blanched white but remained crisp and firm, and helped anchor the plant in the substrate. I'll have to get a pic sometime, I thought it was bizarre...

Besides that, the native one has flowered and gone to seed for me. Finally, it gets a richer rust-orange tint and pink stems when it grows close to the light. Very pretty.

Aaaanyways, make sure you check Wisconsin laws on plant collection and get permission to collect from private lands before you do and whatnot.
Orangespotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

If you're looking do disinfect your plants, you can dip them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide. This is pretty effective at killing inverts and even algae.

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is online now   Reply With Quote