De-Rimmed My First 10 Gallon...Now What? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

Here's a 30g tall that I de-rimmed. When I first set it up it almost burst all 4 seams because it was off level 2 different ways. Now its on a much more stable surface and looking strong.

thelub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #17
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
Here's a 30g tall that I de-rimmed. When I first set it up it almost burst all 4 seams because it was off level 2 different ways. Now its on a much more stable surface and looking strong.
How long has it been up and running?
The_Shrimpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #18
thelub

Only a couple days. But you can tell if it will let go or not. Just watch the seams. If you start to get white striations that's a sign of separation. When I first set this tank up I could watch the panels separate. Now its very stable and I am confident that it will hold together. There was no cross brace originally on the tank and there isn't much bowing happening on the tank.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelub View Post
there isn't much bowing happening on the tank.
I've been letting this thing sit on my kitchen floor ever since I started this thread, and I'm kicking myself in the @ss because I KNEW that I needed to measure the clearance from rim to rim on the long sides to figure out how much bow I had once the tank was filled...but that was the one step I forgot, despite the importance. I have some paper towels under the edges that would show me if there was any moisture breaking through and leaking down the seams...despite the fact that I forgot to measure it...everything else is looking pretty good. I'm in the process of setting up a DIY tank rack, so hopefully I'll have this thing up and running by the end of the week.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
the concensus seems to be, it WILL FAIL eventually.
the consensus is actually the opposite of that for smaller tanks like the 10g
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #21
Tvadna
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Everyone I've ever seen do this talks about cutting their fingers up. Did you manage to do it unscathed? I've heard emory cloth or sand paper is supposed to work well for the sharp edges.
Tvadna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #22
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvadna View Post
Everyone I've ever seen do this talks about cutting their fingers up. Did you manage to do it unscathed? I've heard emory cloth or sand paper is supposed to work well for the sharp edges.
Completely unscathed! What I did was left the silicone on the rim and trimmed it last. I cut it really straight, parallel to the glass ridge, and left an extremely thin later to make it smooth. There's still some sharp edges, but I managed to come out of it unharmed

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #23
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjskier View Post
Ive been looking into this latey, and the concensus seems to be, it WILL FAIL eventually. If I could trust it, I would be doing it to a 10 and 20gal. But better safe then soory I think.
The consensus is failure? How so? I keep the bottom rim on all my derimmed tanks because the bottom is the ugliest part but all mine have held up. There is just as much silicone between the glass on a regular tank vs. ADA, just a lot more hanging over. If you think about it, a derimmed tank, assuming the glass is the same thickness, should be stronger than a purpose built rimless tank.

That said, I just accidentally derimmed my 10 gallon on top. Leaving a tank outside, the rim does not hold up to UV it seems and the silicone separates. Took me like 3 min. I filled it outside for 8 hours or so, doing well but drained it because freezing temperatures tonight.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #24
thelub

If you remove the bottom trim you have to rebuild. 99% of the time its a floating bottom and needs the bottom trim to support the floating bottom.

I did just recently de-rim a 10g and its a flat bottom with the sides all resting on the bottom glass. Score!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #25
The_Shrimpress
Algae Grower

That's how mine is double score!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #26
thelub

That's perfect! I'm curious to know who makes that kind. I got mine used so I have no idea. Did you get yours new or used as well?
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
Pbaff
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have a 10 gal that I de-rimmed over a year ago. Since then it has broken down and set back up four or five times and went on an eight hour road trip when I moved. It even spent a few months outside this summer growing mosquito larvae. It is the style where the bottom glass is about 1/2 an inch up from the bottom of the sides. The only issue I've ever had with the tank is that it has a chip on the bottom that likes to cut my finger when I move it around.
Pbaff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #28
Sluuuder
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

This is interesting....I love the look of rimless tanks. Only problem is if I derim mine id have to tear it down and thats just too much work imo. Hope ya'lls hold up!
Sluuuder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #29
Beer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shrimpress you could still measure the deflection before you empty the the tank and measure the distance of the glass once it is drained. The glass is not going to retain any bowing from the water pressure. There also shouldn't be any noticeable change from stressing the silicone, that would be readily apparent with the tank full.

Did you have to hack the trim apart to get it off? I have a small tank that I got for free because it had been damaged during shipping. I want to relpace the glass and keep the trim so I can keep the lid. Thinking about using a heat gun to get it off.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2013, 05:52 AM   #30
thelub

The small tanks are easy to take the trim off. I've got most off without ruining the trim. Take a putty knife under the trim to loosen the silicone and it should come off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.