2G Shrimp Tank Trio
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

2G Shrimp Tank Trio

We originally set up our first shrimp tank using a curved corner 2 gallon from LFS in August after winning an auction on some red rilli shrimp. We now have 3 of them setup identically, one for each species of shrimp we are keeping. Each tank has an Azoo Palm filter (MIgnon 60) and a
Dolphin LED light Dolphin LED light
and are bedded with
Up Aqua Shrimp Sand Up Aqua Shrimp Sand
. Plants are low light species like java fern, anubias nana and mosses with P. stratiotes floating. I dose 1-2 drops of flourish once a week if I remember.

Red rilli tank
We started with 11 neos in August. I estimate we now have at least 30 of them and 2 females re-berried as of yesterday

Tiger tank
This tank has about 15-25 Super Tigers and 12 Tangerine tiger shrimp. Two of our STs just hatched out clutches and we have counted at least 10 babies at a time. I figure there are another 5-10 that we don't see since there are plenty of hiding places.
The tangerine tigers are of mixed age and size. I haven't see any berried yet.
I plan to separate the two species soon but we expect (and kind of hope) our next two batches may be crossed ST x TT

Carbon rilli tank
We have 13 carbon rilli shrimp in this tank. I'm looking for a nice piece of cholla wood to upgrade this "scape."

The foam filter is currently not operational, but I have run it. I just need to relocate the air pump out of the kitchen.

Future plans
Future plans for all these 3 tanks is to standardize their construction to the point that I can easily template and add more as we acquire more shrimp species. I would like to setup dedicated OEBT and CRS tanks, in addition to a few other more "exotic" species. Eventually I foresee a rack or shelving system and since this tank is somewhat narrow (front to back ~7") even a wall mounted shelf of the right strength and construction could work.

Filtration
I am considering adding a foam filter, in addition to the palm filters, to all our shrimp tanks. I found the filter below is quite small and can be had for less than $5 ea locally or online.

The extra filtration won't hurt and I can run one air pump off a UPS easer than 3 HOBs. I can also remote install the pump and run a single 1/4" air line to the tanks.

Lighting
I may also remove the Dolphin lights and go with a
high output LED strip running at 6000 (600 HO LEDs high output LED strip running at 6000 (600 HO LEDs
)

Since the plants in these tanks don't have high lighting needs, and, the lower draw of a single 30W strip (vs. 3 x 3W lights) we can run this off off a UPS for quite a long time in the event of a power outage.
Additionally, with a large enough (partitioned) power supply, I can run a single 18/2 CL3 type wire to each tank location in our apartment and use a centralized power supply with a single timer.

Bigger tanks
In the future, as our colonies grow, I will move them to larger tanks and keep this trio for selective breeding projects. I need to separate our TTs and STs soon so I suspect we will be moving into phase 2 pretty soon.

I'll try to keep this thread updated over time, noting any significant events
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
CheyLillymama22
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Great looking tanks!
TT's are awesome, I'm interested to see the TTxST crosses
CheyLillymama22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
octanejunkie
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quick update: berries females in the rilli and tiger tanks, carbons are still juvies. Starting to build larger tanks for the breeding colonies and will save these ranks for selective breeding projects.

Sent via Tapatalk. Please pardon typos or brevity
octanejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.