adding peroxide as a preventative measure?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
jbjack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

adding peroxide as a preventative measure?

Okay so I'm new to planted tanks and I'm loving it, and this site! It's helped me a lot. So now that I know what all my plants are, I have decent lighting, successfully killed off all the algae with peroxide and have good flow and temp and algae eating fish I wonder this....

I don't expect to much algae problems because I fully believe the majority of my problem was very low flow (fixed) and very warm water (84f, had a discus, sold now have mollies, temp is 77f) BUT my question would be if the peroxide killed all the algae (I dosed 4ML per gallon openly for 4 days) and it didn't harm my snails, fish or plants, would it be beneficial to randomly, say once a month or every second month, a day or 2 before one of my water changes to do a single dose, to kill off any new, young creeping up algae that may be lurking in the tank? Or is this a dumb, and if so why? My thought process here is it didn't bother anything but algae. It turns into water after, and it kills the angle through oxidation right? Not a horrible chemical to add....

Thanks guys.
jbjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Charrr89
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

I would not dose peroxide through personal experience. I lost a lot of plants because I forgot to rinse peroxide out once... All my beautiful plants went trough some leaf burning and all my moss turned black. I was told to just let the peroxide run it's corse... But I still washed my tank down one more time to hopefully loosen te peroxide. Good luck with whatever u decide to do. I'm not an expert btw

Finnex member #14
Charrr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Hi jbjack,

I typically use hydrogen peroxide 3% (H2O2) to spot treat the occasional outbreak of BBA or BGA. I dose a lower dosage of 1.5 ml per gallon and have not had problems with sensitive species like rasboras, cardinal tetras, or Apistogrammas.

H2O2 is a strong oxidizing agent, that is what makes it an effective treatment for those 'soft' algae types. Unfortunately the oxidation effect can also injure fish, specifically causing damage to the gills. Therefore I only dose H2O2 when I need to treat an actual issue and do not dose it routinely.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 12-09-2013 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: ..
Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote